• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:21:24 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

New Gabranth sprite

Started by rafaelterras, January 27, 2010, 12:37:14 pm

rafaelterras

Hello there people of ffhacktics!
I may be new posting here, but I have been lurking for a while in this forum by now. BUT that's not the main purpose.
You see, I was noticing a lack of finished Gabranth sprites around. So I decided to make one myself!

By the way, I would like to know your opinion about it. I don't exaclty intend to continue working on this base if you guys think it's not good enough. And that's exaclty the reason I didn't do more sides of it.

SilvasRuin

The head looks completely bizarre.  The rest of it has potential.  Might want to do another pose or two and have some double-sized images as well so we can get a good look at them.

rafaelterras

Thanks for the tip of the head; although I tried making it look like more the original Gabranth, I see now it is indeed quite strange.
By the way, how can I post bigger images? thanks in advance!

SilvasRuin

Well you can either search through the tools of whatever program you use until you find a function to stretch the image, or you just do it manually by making the same image with four pixels in the new image for every one in the old.  It really shouldn't be too hard to find the stretch function though.

rafaelterras

January 27, 2010, 02:43:46 pm #4 Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:02:32 pm by rafaelterras
'kay, I finished two more positions.
I didn't have any new ideas for his head, and therefore I've left it untouched as the lancer's head on the two new positions. Any suggestions on a new head?
(P.S.: found the stretch thingy xD)
[EDIT: added the file in a smaller size]

VampragonLord

2x or 3x is the standard, that is way too big, and has no color to it. it looks like you have a decent idea going though, good luck.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

rafaelterras

Sorry, I had no idea what the standard was.
As a matter of fact, the idea was originally making a whole black and white Gabranth, and only then to color him. However, if you think it is better to make a colored version already, I'll gladly accept it - I'm completely new to spriting and this kinda stuff, so I don't know exactly where should I go/what should I do first.

Jon

You more or less changed the arms of the Lancer/Dragoon and turned it black and gray. My method is to get the colors right before anything else. Since the Lancer/Dragoon is the base, my suggestion is to just change first the colors to what you want them to be. Also, what program are you using? Paint, Photoshop, GraphicsGale? Here is (maybe) the order of what you should do: first do the colors (get them down correctly how you need 'em), then change only slightly what you want with using those same colors, so example change the helmet and horns on the Dragoon, then once you are confident that it is good, post it up here. And please post it 2 or 3 times original size, and please post at the very least the front view (which you already have) and the front side view (which is the second one on the spritesheet). I wish ya luck with this and welcome to the FFH community! ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

mav

Welcome aboard. I think Jon and the others pretty much summed up anything I was going to say...Maybe you should be a little more creative with the palette--just making the sprite gray won't suffice: you should look for some dark colors that accentuate the armored look. While you're at it, consider using different boots, preferably armored ones.

Best of luck to ya.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

dwib

When you choose your own colors to use for this sprite, take from existing sprites. 99/100 times making a custom palette will look horrible

Also, stay away from outlines. the helmet on the front view you made has a dark outline that does not look good

Kagebunji

oh geez, here are advices: first of all his hand and head with horns are way too flat. You need more colors! Gabtanth had grey, black and red colors in it IIRC, so use those. And what is that...thing on his chest? I can't tell. And copy/paste more, custom making will lead you to nothing with skills you have currently. I suggest copying Ramza's hands(sprite from Ch 2&3)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

rafaelterras

Come to think of it, I am going to make it all again.
That one was poorly made and I had no notion whatsoever of how to begin; however, I think I got a great idea now.
thanks to y'all!
Also, the program I'm using is good ol' MS Paint.

mav

MS Paint is definitely a great program for these kinds of work. Good luck with this sprite--and don't worry about the portrait, I believe some of the Japanese guys have a completed one lying around.

rafaelterras

About the portrait, I have it already. Found it here, by the way... was on some pretty old topic, but was definitely worth the search! (if you want me to post it here, just say the word)

jimmyjw88

MS Paint OWNED!!! ^^
Good luck
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Paint? First everyone tells me to get away from Photoshop and move on to GraphicsGale, whats next? Go back to Paint? C'mon y'all, GG owns in its own right too. And yeah, why not, post the portrait please. I wanna see this...

rafaelterras

I haven't finished the new one yet, but I will post the portrait I'm basing it off now...

Jon

That is a decent portrait based off of the male Samurai I believe. You should add some more color to give more depth and shading, and perhaps red for the eyes (?). Forgot what color eyes he has haha...

jimmyjw88

Though the angle is different from Male Samurai.