• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFTA on 3DS

Started by FrozenDragon150, April 08, 2016, 09:50:02 pm

FrozenDragon150

Hello everyone, I don't know if peeps here are aware of/would benefit from this, but it is possible to natively (aka not an emulator) play GBA games on 3DS by patching a part of the 3ds system and converting gba roms into .cia (3ds file format) games.

This requires Custom Firmware, I have yet to test it out, but it should be possible to play FFTA (with hacks and all) on the 3DS.

Just wanted to lay that down, if anyone is willing to try, here's the link:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/

Knivingdude

That's sweet! Now I can go around traveling and using a hack here and surprise random people with my slightly changed hacked FFTA!

Thanks for the info.

bcrobert

Hm...I do miss playing the game on an actual handheld device. But I seem to recall DS systems having a serious problem with shoulder buttons breaking down rather easily. Did the 3DS improve on that front?
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

FrozenDragon150

Well, I've been using mine for like 3 years now, no problems thus far.

Chronosplit

April 10, 2016, 12:07:28 pm #4 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:15:52 pm by Chronosplit
I remember hearing that ever since "Phat" they've improved on the crappy shoulders.  Thank goodness for that, I lost a Lite and a DSi that way and I quit after that.  :P

So this method works with all GBA files, and the file conversion doesn't damage them at all?  This might be a flimsy excuse for me to get a cheap one, and not just for FFTA; this is the perfect use for stuff like FFVIA's improvements (how bright is the light again?  Is the palette patch worth a 3DS?) or my own Pokemon Emerald job since trading with Gen 3 is out.  Or even better, fan translations like Oriental Blue, SRWJ, or Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (not just translation, retranslation!)
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

As far as I know. GBA titles cannot yet be injected... SNES injections have only just started to popup.

NES/GB/GBC/SMS/SMD are all easily done though.

FrozenDragon150

Not injection.

It's converting a GBA rom into an installable cia file, which is the format most 3ds files are in

3lric

I'm aware of what .CIA files are... I have a modded 3DS XL and a modded N3DS XL... I just was not aware that this was able to be done with GBA games yet, since I couldn't do so with Minish Cap less than a month ago.

FrozenDragon150

It's been possible for a while now, far more than a month iirc

I'll be testing out FFTA today

FrozenDragon150

Well, I had forgotten about this xD

I successfully converted the rom to cia, and installed it on my 3ds, it's working perfectly thus far :3 even after making changes with AIO editor