• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Kagebunji's sprites- Moving on...

Started by Kagebunji, August 04, 2009, 02:29:37 pm

jimmyjw88

Well, for the first one, it might be bit difficult as its forward-facing. Hmm....evil...if we have a way to change/move the eyes/eyebrows/mouth with the current one, we might have evil look.

For the hand, my thought was not exactly like this but rather holding the specs.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

Yeah, let's just ditch the first one. I look forward to see the 2nd one :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

I think you have the styling of his hair a bit off, you make it so it looks like he has spikey bangs but in reality he just has medium length hair swept back. This is what is giving it the anime feel. I think if you added more hair to the back of his bangs it might look better. Does that make any sense at all? Just look at what his hair is doing around his ear as compared to what you have.
Current Projects:

Kaijyuu

I quite like the second one. Just make sure to include the glasses, since I think he looks silly without them.

side note: Kagebunji's current avatar is Lezard? If so, honestly I think it looks nothing like him.
  • Modding version: PSX

jimmyjw88

Hmm...meaning longer back hair? Also, for the side hair, I didn't add any hair because I did it quick and just want to show to see what you guys think. I'll do the side when shading comes.

And yeah, I'll add the glasses. Any way to make him look more evil?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kaijyuu

Well, he's not really THAT evil. Self righteous and murderous maybe. Wait, that's pretty evil.... Hrm.

Anyway, the two best ways I think to make someone look "evil" would be expression and palette choice. Darker complexion = more menacing.
  • Modding version: PSX

mav

You could also use dramatic lighting and angles to make him look menacing.

I prefer the second portrait Jimmy posted. I don't know how the hand one will work out, so I'd suggest sticking with that second one and refining it a bit till it looks right.

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"side note: Kagebunji's current avatar is Lezard? If so, honestly I think it looks nothing like him.
Yeah, it was a quick edit of an existing Zidane portrait. It's...not my best work.

jimmyjw88

Hmm...Any crits on how to fix the hair?

Kagebunji

Well, I'm no good in portraits so I cannot tell how Jimmy :/

And I almost finished Garnet too, just need to delete some shadows from arms, I may post her today.

Also, I began to work on ports too, here is the first rough one. I also gave her basic colors so you could see what belongs to what. And reference also.

mav

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"Hmm...Any crits on how to fix the hair?
Round out the top and make sure to apply the shadow in a non-linear fashion. That should prevent the hair from looking pointy after color has been added.

As for your portrait, Kage. It's interesting. It's hard to judge whether it looks good though, since without shadow we can't perceive depth. Shape-wise, however, it looks okay. Just make sure to flare out her hair in the back.

Kagebunji

QuoteJust make sure to flare out her hair in the back.

That is exactly what I wanted to ask, I kinda have no idea how to do it. Small tutorial?

And Garnet is done!

rafaelterras

Indeed very nice Garnet sprite, Kage.
She looks really beautiful.

jimmyjw88

Portrait looks good start. And gratz on Garnet.

MiKeMiTchi

You have a great reference Kage.

[attachment=0:2gu90u31]wipkage.bmp[/attachment:2gu90u31]

Is this any easier?
We could just convert\trace it into fft style.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

mav

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be too tough.

Kagebunji

I have almost done the portrait, so I must refuse :D If all goes well, I will post the updated one today.

Kagebunji

Ok, I have done most of the portrait. I still have to finish the hair.

Side note: I'm doing this portrait using my sprite knowledge, I don't know a lot about ports, so it may look strange.

Kyousukeee

The shades are coming out pretty well , the only thing I found odd is the proportion when compared to other FFT portraits .
If you will not use it in a sprite sheet it's ok , but if you are , I'd advice you to focus in the face , zoom in and make it bigger and cut off most of the body , like Mike~ did . We barely see anything bellow the shoulders or collar bone in the portraits  .

I'd love to see a finished portrait from her ( forgot her name ) , she's the best looking character from FFTA(2?)

mav

First thing is that the colors are a little too cartoonish, FFT portraits use desaturated colors heavily. Secondly, It looks like you've outlined most of her: the hair, the shoulders, etc. While it's occasionally necessary to outline some parts of the body, you also need to use the shadows more to blend it better. And finally, there's too little of her face showing. I think you should consider showing some of her left eye (our right), or putting some of the hair behind the face. Good start though.

Kagebunji

@Kyousukeee - yeah, she is from FFTA2 and I am gonna to do sprite too, but I have hard time finding the base. I thought about proportions too, but I wanted it to show some more, oh well :P

@Mav - thanks for crit, I will implement all you suggested. Well, hair is outlined now, but I will erase it once I begin to polish it all up, same for shoulders. I s'pose I should add the left eye from the start, sorry!