• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:16 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Names in FFTPatcher

Started by TidesofMercy, April 01, 2021, 10:43:59 am

TidesofMercy

Good morning everyone!
I'm very new here, but have been playing around with Final Fantasy Tactics and War of the Lions for quite a while. Sadly, I can't say that I am adept by any means. I was curious, is there a way to add custom names to FFTPatcher's name list? For example, I am trying to add Aerith into the game as a party member. I have placed her sprite over Celia or Lede's unused job, can't remember which one off the top of my head. Whichever is 58.

Anyway, for my relatively simple addition, I wasn't planning on changing jobs or anything like that, I just planned on a simple sprite and name swap. Unfortunately, for Aerith to work and be named properly (using FFTPatcher) I would need a way to name her for the battle where she would join up. Is there a way to do this? I have been digging through the forum, but I haven't really found anything yet. I figured that while I continue digging, I could also ask and see if anyone would be able to assist me.

Thank you so much in advance!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: TidesofMercy

Jumza

The FFTPatcher suite comes with a tool called FFTacText which can change text (including unit names).
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TidesofMercy

So adding unit names into FFTacText allows for them to appear on FFTPatcher, or is it just used to alter the character directly? My apologies for the confusion! I have tried changing text using FFTacText a few times, but it always fails complete the alterations. Any suggestions for using FFTacText with War of the Lions?

Thanks again  :)

TidesofMercy

April 04, 2021, 11:34:58 pm #3 Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:59:48 pm by TidesofMercy Reason: Attachment!
Okay, I am going to share what I found!

I finally found another post on the forums that was concerning itself with a similar issue. Personally, I was hoping to add the name specifically to FFTPatcher so that I could select the name from the directory and add Aerith into a map via ENTD. I learned that there is a way to add this name to the game, but it does not add it to the list in FFTPatcher.

For anyone that is curious, War of the Lions Text can be edited for sure using Version 457 of the FFTPatcher suite.
In order for your text modifications to work, however, you have to load a clean copy of the game into FFTacText. You can then make your modifications and then patch the game over your edited/patched version of the game. So load from a clean game, patch over whichever copy of the game that you wish to change. I did have to remove a couple of names from the list. These names were never selectable in FFTPatcher anyway, and were just empty nodes with a width of 20 characters.

If anyone knows how to edit the directory of FFTPatcher in order to make the modifications show up, I would still be very interested in this! War of the Lions seems to be quite finnicky. Now hopefully I will be able to add her to the team around the time when Cloud joins! I attached my test. :) No message is associated with this attachment.

RetroTypes

You're looking for the resources.zip, to change the names in the tools. Open the patcher, file -> generate resources.zip. Open that up, and edit the files in the PSP folder.
  • Discord username: RetroTypes

TidesofMercy

It seems that you are correct! Thank you! Now for some reason when I add Aerith to the resources zip file, FFTPatcher doesn't open... lol

I will have to keep playing with it I guess!

RetroTypes

Well you don't *add* anything to it, you just modify the existing entries. Also, make sure you didn't break any of the syntax of the coding. It may be necessary on your system to extract the files from the zip, edit them, then reimport them into the zip, though I can confirm I do not have to do this with winrar on Win10. Once you get it working double check that you edit the right pages, as different menus in the patcher read from different xmls in the resources. And if you end up mucking the whole thing up too badly, just delete the whole resources.zip and generate a new one.
  • Discord username: RetroTypes

Glain

In .493, FFTactext can generate a Resources.zip, which might make this easier.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

TidesofMercy

I am currently using .492, but I will download .493 and see if that helps me! Every time I try to add Aerith to the zip file (I use 7z by the way) FFTPatcher fails to open >_<

Edit: After downloading the beta of .493 creating a resource.zip through that is working well! I will have to compare it to the one that I edited and see what I did to mess it up. The job and skillset now appear appropriately in FFTPatcher, but for whatever reason the added name does not appear in the patcher even with the new zip. I am editing name slot 3A if that matters.

Thank you all!