• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Some modding tips

Started by Quillbeatssword, September 05, 2020, 08:11:56 pm

Quillbeatssword

Been testing the tools for WOTL heavily to figure out exactly what does and doesn't work and a sort of "Patch order"
From what I've read alot of people struggle with the text aspects so I thought I'd give some advice from my own experience.
First things first. I have 2 versions of the patcher suite. 0.457 which I use exclusively for text editing and 0.492 which I use exclusively for FFTPatcher.
I have noticed many people saying they have to constantly leave FFTactext open or they have to completely redo their work. I haven't had this problem. This is why.
First open Tactext 457. Click on ISO and import a fresh copy of your ISO. Mine was prepatched with the slowdown fix and doesn't seem to be a problem. Now the first thing I did was fix the Gem/Treasure crash in BOOT.BIN[28E5EC].
Then I saved this file as a .fftext
Now.
When you work on your mod ALWAYS. Start text edits by opening a fresh copy of your ISO. Then open your .fftext overtop of it. Make your edits then SAVE the .fftext file When you are finished but dont bother patching the ISO.
Then
When you use FFTPatcher open version 0.492
Go to file. New PSP patch and make your changes. I usually keep my .fftext file open while I do this so I can change text as I go. When you are finished save the patch.
When you are ready to patch the ISO open a fresh copy in Tactext 457 and open your .fftext on top of it. Open your patch in FFTPatcher 492.
Now patch the ISO with your FFTPatcher first. Then immediately patch the same ISO with your .fftext file. You should have no errors.
NEVER open the patched ISO in the Patcher or Tactext. If you change something change your .fftext file over a fresh iso and re-save it. Then change your FFTPatch separately and save it. Then patch them both over a fresh ISO again as above.
Some of these steps may be unnecessary but this is exac5how I have done it and not encountered constant errors.

Now. The hardest part about text is the limit. Think of character limits on a forum post etc. If you replace the name of a job with a longer name the overall character limit will exceed what is allowed and you will get an error when patching.
A quick example. Let's say I change Ramza from a Squire to a Holy Knight. Squire is 6 characters long. No spaces. While Holy Knight is 10 characters long plus a space making it a total of 11 characters long.
In order to avoid the error I need to free up 5 characters. Now. I'm unsure if this is 5 characters throughout all the text in the game or not. I usually keep it simple and just free up 5 spaces in Job names. Quickly I can scroll down to 142,143 and 146-149 and delete the Kanji in those 6 slots. That gives me the five characters I need and leaves me an extra. Typically if i make one job name longer I'll also try to make another shorter to trim space where i can and keep my text within the character limit. Just try to keep track of this and you should have no problems. Then repeat the process for the other 2 versions of Ramza Squire Job.

Now. With that done. I can go to the description. The description for Ramza special squire is pretty long. So I typically copy the description of Agrias Holy Knight and paste it directly onto Ramza which frees up quite a bit of space and since Ramza has 3 versions of his Job I can free up a significant amount of space.
If I make a custom Job that replaces an older one I keep the description as short as possible to save space. I do the same for Ability names and descriptions. Keeping everything as short as I can. If you're careful about this you can significantly edit the text of WOTL with little trouble.
Anyway. I hope this helps anyone that decides to work on WOTL having trouble.
  • Modding version: PSX
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.

Nyzer

Definitely wouldn't recommend derping out Ramza's job description just for the sake of saving space. There are many better options for just outright deletion - jobs such as Duke never appear in battle, after all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Quillbeatssword

Quote from: Nyzer on September 05, 2020, 10:09:46 pmDefinitely wouldn't recommend derping out Ramza's job description just for the sake of saving space. There are many better options for just outright deletion - jobs such as Duke never appear in battle, after all.

You misunderstand. No need to change the description at all unless you change the job. If you change his base job from Squire to say. Fell Knight. You just copy the description of Fell Knight from Gaffy and Paste it over Ramza Squire. The Fell Knight description is shorter so it wouldn't cause any problems. If you change him to some custom Job you just have to make sure the description is no longer than the original which is something like "This job serves as the foundation for all others, forming the first step on the road to becoming a legendary warrior."
So if you make him something like IDK an "Ultima Knight" or some other custom fabrication you just have to keep the description as long or shorter than the Squire description. "A knight harnessing the power of demonic magics" or something. Since this description isn't longer than the Squire description it will patch into the game and work just fine. But if I used "A knight harnessing the power of demonic magics. Using abilities learned directly through combat with demons and false saints. They drain the life of their enemies before obliterating them with powerful single target sword skills and spells" Since this description is much longer than the original.  It would exceed the character limit and the patch would either fail or have text errors everywhere.
  • Modding version: PSX
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.

Nyzer

That isn't what you advised, though. You just said you replace his job description with Agrias', with no explanation that it was because you were turning him into a Holy Knight as well.

And even then, there's still no reason to not delete some of the job descriptions such as Duke or whatever Simon is.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown