• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 11:17:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

My First Sprite

Started by DeadManWalking, March 24, 2010, 05:17:38 pm

DeadManWalking

Hi, I'm new to the site, but I've been a longtime fan of FFT.  So, I decided to try my hand at making a sprite, here's my first one.

Edit: Oh, I've tested it out, and it seems to have a bit of a problem.  Even though I can't see anything on the Sprite Sheet itself, whenever it shows the sprite standing still facing away from the camera, a line appears over it's head, and I have no idea how it got there or what it's doing there, anyone know?

Jumza

Sometimes when a sprite is too tall one of the poses cuts into the other poses so maybe find the pose that has the line then maybe find the one bellow and cut it down a line of pixels or 2.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

DeadManWalking

I think I know which one it is... and from the color of the line it looks like it's from the portrait.  It's about a pixel taller than the other poses, but the monk's that way, too, so I didn't figure it would cause any trouble.  I'll try cutting it down.

For testing purposes, I had the sprite replace Chapter 2/3 Ramza.  Now, whenever there's a cutscene where the sprite has to turn it's head, it turns into an odd discolored version of Ramza.

Jumza

Thats because you need to change the ramza in Evetcher.bin to your sprite in all instances.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

MiKeMiTchi

Jumza's right. :)

Hmm.. I think the sprite's gray shades should have more contrast..
if you know what I mean..
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

DeadManWalking

Yeah, I know.  I'm trying to make it dark without making it so dark it disappears.

DeadManWalking

I think I fixed it, the line, that is.  Apparently, even though Galeforce Free Edition didn't show it, there WAS a line above my character (it showed up on the Shishi Sprite Editor).  I would have found out that was it sooner, but I also found out savestates pretty much revert all of the sprite changes.

mav

I'm glad you fixed it. For a first sprite, this is really good. The colors could have been a little more creative, but you're certainly off to a good start. Great job.

Kagebunji

It is good for first sprite, but how will ye call it? And welcome aboard, I hope you won't go away like many spriters lately (Seushiro, Usellesboy etc.).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DeadManWalking

Thanks.  I've decided to work on the FFTArena/Tournament sprites to help me out with some colors.

Jon

Not bad at all for a first sprite. This gave me an idea for a sprite too...welcome to FFHacktics btw :)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

DeadManWalking