• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 12:44:52 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Need suggestions for a possible Fighter sprite

Started by Rochefaton, January 09, 2010, 03:31:43 pm

Rochefaton

Last week I began working on a Fighter pritesheet, but was hoping to get the opinions and suggestions of other FFT fans here before I continued working on it.  This rough draft is all I have so far:

I plan on redoing the shading of the last two sprites, but that is all I have planned so far.  Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.

SilvasRuin

Your shading looks all over the place and the hair looks like a mess.  The belt and back of the hair band should likely be made thicker.  The belt looks too high in the back views and the side view.

Jon

Lemme tell you now, in a friendly way, this is wrong for FFT. Try to immitate the skin color of the other characters, yours is way too pink. Also, I think someone has done a Fighter already just like this (except more correct color for skin and clothes). The idea is good, but you may want to base your colors off of already existing colors of other units.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Rochefaton

January 09, 2010, 05:15:14 pm #3 Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:29:19 pm by Rochefaton
I'm not sure why the colors are so off. :( I used the palette from the Monk spritsheet.  The colors became warped when I cropped and stretched the image.  It looks much better when I view my spritesheet with GraphicsGale or Shishi.

Rochefaton

Here is the spritesheet I am altering, and as you can see, the colors look much more natural.  When I crop the first few sprites and enlarge the image, the colors go crazy. Btw, I'm a complete noob at spriting, so do not worry about offending me by criticizing my work.  I will not take offense.

cold52

Quote from: "Rochefaton"Here is the spritesheet I am altering, and as you can see, the colors look much more natural.  When I crop the first few sprites and enlarge the image, the colors go crazy. Btw, I'm a complete noob at spriting, so do not worry about offending me by criticizing my work.  I will not take offense.

It has somthing to do with saving as jpeg...that usually ends up messing up a sprite

jimmyjw88

Yes, don't save it as JPEG. It ruin the quality. As the sprite, hair is messy and the colours are wrong. Well, perhaps its because of JPEG. So, let's see the sprite on PNG. Good luck.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Smash

It would be best if you displayed them in x1, x2 and x3 sizes. The ones you showed first were too big, and only showed a dithered mess.

Also, remember that JPEG is a useless format, and that image hosting sites will convert BMP's into JPEG's. Always save as PNG or GIF, like mentioned.

I was thinking on suggesting MS Paint as a better program alternative for it's simple and quick interface, but guess it's fine if you're used to Graphics gale.

mav

Righto, first save it as a PNG, then we can really get cracking. Right now it looks you just added pixels randomly; follow the shading that was already on the male Monk, and use palettes that already existed in game. Avoid cramming so many different colors in the palette, you should just try to have a handful of colors with a couple shades to add depth.

Good luck.

Jon

Okay, the reason why the colors got so messed up is because you most likely did not index it. I don't know if GraphicsGale can do that (still new to it) but PhotoShop can. (Yes, I know no one uses PS on here, but still...) When you don't index a pic whether it be something like this all the way up the scale to real photographs, the pixels will transfer the overall color into the surrounding pixels, so if you have skin color next to red, you will get those weird fuzzy pinks as seen above. Before you ever change the size of a pic, be sure to index it. Then change size, then save as (for here) a .png like everyone says or for personal use in game a .bmp. Just as a side note- are you trying to make the Fighter look a bit like Ryu from Street Fighter?
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

VampragonLord

White is too bright, belt is illogical (it randomly jumps around on his person), front has too much "shading", back has too little.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~