• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:06:50 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ShiShi Sprite Editor problem

Started by Chasedark, April 26, 2011, 06:04:15 pm

Chasedark

April 26, 2011, 06:04:15 pm Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:05:12 pm by Chasedark
I was hoping that someone could help me.  I'm trying to put in a custom sprite that I made myself, but whenever I import the BMP into  ShiShi Sprite editor, it messes up the colors completely, any way to fix this?(I exported Ramza and editted him directly).

That's what happened.  I tried to do the hex editor thing mentioned in the tutorial, but when I open the hex editor, the values they mentioned don't exist.

Lijj

• Modding version: PSX

Chasedark

April 26, 2011, 06:27:18 pm #2 Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:28:12 pm by Chasedark
I tried, but it said the download on that thread has been taken down due to copyright claims :ban:
Nevermind, I read further down, stupid me. :more:

GeneralStrife

Is the sprite more than 16 colors? (It can't be)

Chasedark

April 26, 2011, 06:33:17 pm #4 Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:46:17 pm by Chasedark
One of them was, but the second time I did it, I literally just editted Ramza's sprite-sheet., And the sprite I made has even less colors than Ramza did.

I'm just trying to make my own character because I thought it'd be fun, but whenever I try to import the 16bitcolor BMP image, it gives me an error, when I try any other size BMP, it messes up my colors.  I also have no idea how to edit the palettes, maybe that's the issue?

Lijj

April 26, 2011, 07:06:16 pm #5 Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:06:39 pm by Lijj
It's still there just use the link at the bottom of the 1st post

Chasedark

April 26, 2011, 07:42:14 pm #6 Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:08:29 pm by Chasedark
I tried the new one, it didn't change anything though.  Maybe I'll just finish my spritesheet and hope that someone'll help me make an SPR file out of it.

^ that's the sprite I'm trying to use.  I even put the colors I used.

Lijj

Yeah, just post the bmp.. someone will help.

GeneralStrife

have you tried exporting the messed up bmp as a .SPR and re-importing it as a SPR and see if that fixes it?

lirmont

Let me preface this advice by saying I have no clue about spritesheets. However, you've said two important things. First, ShiShi's program spits your spritesheet (a BMP image) out weird. Second, a suggested fix involving altering a section of the resulting file with a hex editor is not usable because the values (read: data locations) do not exist. Now, combine that with the fact that you've said you also tried "to import the 16bitcolor BMP image". I believe it's highly likely you are saving your BMP file wrong, resulting in ShiShi's program handling it the way that it does. Namely, you likely need to assign a color profile to your bitmap file. This indexes the colors instead of storing each pixel's color individually. It may not be obvious, but a "bit map" is a list (read: "map") of bits (0 or 1). What does it mean to have a 16-bit color BMP image? It means each pixel gets a whopping 16 bits (2 bytes; 16 sets of 0 or 1) allotted to store the color of the pixel. It does not mean your bitmap image is limited to 16 colors. What you likely want to do is, within your image editing program, open your image the way it is now (where the colors look correct). Find within the program where you can assign a color profile to the image (also known as "Indexed Color" or "Palette"). A good program will let you specify a custom profile based on your existing image, however you may end up putting the colors in by hand (depending on the interface). What this leaves you with is not a 16-bit color BMP image but a BMP image that uses X-number of colors and the pixel locations reference the index of colors for which color to display (so, changing the color in the index would change ALL pixels that reference that color in the index). Hopefully, you can see why this would be an easy choice for console game development that is limited by space (by the distribution media) and by memory (the capabilities of the console to reference things), as opposed to just being some arbitrary hoop you have to jump through.

Chasedark

Maybe I'm really using too many colors, I'm going to post what I've got so far and see if anyone can help me out?

Chasedark

April 27, 2011, 09:44:29 am #12 Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:06:21 am by Chasedark
how do I change the color profile? What program are you using?

Nevermind, I changed the color profile, but now shishi gives me a long error.

lirmont

Well, make sure you have only 16 items (colors or transparency) in your index.

In the meantime, I was able to import this version with ShiShi's program properly: GeoFull354.bmp