• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 04:47:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Photoshop Help

Started by Paheej, January 25, 2010, 12:35:27 am

Paheej

Are any of you guys good with Photoshop?  For the life of me I can't get this tutorial on Quick Gold Text to work.  I was wondering if I could get a more indepth explanation or some help:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text- ... m-scratch/

mav

I may be able to help--what exactly are you having a problem with?

Paheej

So when I do the Layer Style settings it seems to apply the effect to the entire layer rather than just the text.  Therefore when I create text its display changes as I move the text around on the layer.

mav

What exactly do you mean by "the entire layer"--is it adding the effects over the entire layer (like a box, or if you had just used the paint bucket tool), or is it doing something else? If you haven't already, write the text first, then apply the Layer Styles to it directly. You're on the step with the first text layer, right?

Or just post a screenshot--it may be easier if I can see the problem directly.

Kaijyuu

Lens Flare is your friend. Use it everywhere.*

*note: extremely bad advice
  • Modding version: PSX

R999

Basically,

1. you simply type the text,
2. then duplicate this text layer (Cmd+J on Mac, I think Ctrl+J if you are on windows)
3. move one of them a few pixels apart. (select your desired layer first, then use the Move tool).
4. Let's call these layers A and B. Now you apply the layer effects for A, click OK.
5. then you apply the layer effects for B.

The layer effects are just exactly as shown. You need a couple of layer effects to be applied onto each, individually. The one with the gold color gradient fill is the first one (A) that you are suppose to do.

Obviously, the layer with the shadow outline is meant to be just below the gold gradient layer. You can rearrange the layer order (to make the gold on top) by simple drag and drop. I think this is as basic as photoshop gets... once you get the hang of layers. Let me know if you still need help.