• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:37 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Novice ASM hack: Useful monsters

Started by Talcall, January 07, 2020, 10:41:54 pm

Talcall

January 07, 2020, 10:41:54 pm Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:55:33 am by Portalenthusiast
I'm not sure exactly where novice hacking goes, so if this thread needs to be moved i have no issues with that.
That being said, i am proud to have completed my first hack! (would have been done sooner but i was banned from technology for a week)
Useful monsters! Gives monsters the ability to use human tools and armour, so they can have a slightly higher health pool and attack damage.
list of changes below!

don't use this hack, there are still many manky kinks to iron out, I have learnt.

• Yellow chocobos can use: Polearms, Shields, Clothing, Armour/Armor, Hats, Helmets, Robes, Cloaks

• Black chocobos can use: Flails, Shields, Clothing, Armour/Armor, Hats, Helmets, Robes, Armlets

• Red chocobos can use: Swords, Shields, Clothing, Armour/Armor, Hats, Helmets, Robes, Shoes

• All goblins can use: Hats, Clothing, Knives

• All panthers can use: Cloaks

• Piscodemons can use: Knives, Clothing, Rings

• Squidlarken can use: Staffs, Robes, Rings

• Mindflare can use: Rods, Robes, Rings

• Skeletons can use: Knives, Swords, Axes, Flails, Hats, Clothing, Shoes, Arm guards, Cloaks

• Snatchers can use: Knives, Swords, Axes, Flails, Helmets, Armour/Armor, Shoes, Arm guards, Cloaks

• Living Bone can use: Swords, Knight's swords, Helmets, Armour/Armor, Shoes, Arm guards, Cloaks

• All ghosts can use: robes

• All Aevis can use: Shoes, Arm guards, Rings

• All Swine can use: Rings

• All Dryads can use: Rods, Staffs, Instruments

• All Minitaurs can use: Axes, clothing, Arm guards

• All dragons can use: Armour/Armor, Helmets, Shoes, Cloaks

• Hyudra can use: Knives, Swords, Shields, Hats, Helmets, Hair adornments, Armour/Armor

• Hydra can use: Swords, Axes, Shields, Hats, Helmets, Hair adornments, Armour/Armor

• Tiamat can use: Swords, Knight's swords, Shields, Hats, Helmets, Hair adornments, Amour/Armor

Planned additions (that are perhaps, slightly too ambitious)

• monster job wheel with simple jobs (like knight, cleric, mage)

• Wild monsters spawning with low-grade equipment (makes encounters harder, but not ridiculously so)

• More monster abilities (like, come on, why you gotta treat yellow chocobo like dat? give it another thing!)

Feel free to critique. I need the motivation to improve this (and I'm tired after my week of tech ban)

This isn't particularly praise worthy, but from what I've seen no one really wants to give monsters the love they really deserve, all because square decided that monsters were gonna be practically worthless. So, now they can wear things for more health, (and as a bonus gives the player a slightly larger feeling of control over their party)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

Nyzer

Interesting. Last I'd heard, Emmy was really struggling with making equipment work on monsters.

And expanding the job wheel in any way is a nightmarish, bug-laden slog.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Talcall

was everyone struggling that bad? Maybe this is a bit more work than i thought it would be... i only edited one line of code that was on the wiki under WORLD.BIN, and i managed to get a chocobo i hacked in to wear a hat, I may have to ask about further checks regarding equipment over in that thread

edit, thinking about it, I'm not sure i actually managed to get the hat on the chocobo, just that it was black in the equipment menu. i should have tested this more thoroughly.

edit 2, yeah, there is some more hardcoding around this than i thought there was. square is so mean. turns out even removing that check and equipping stuff just... deletes the item. so. that's fun. maybe don't use this yet.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

Xifanie

I'm pretty sure that equipment is removed from monsters before the squad formation too. I could be misremembering.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful