• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:35:13 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The Colored Mages

Started by Ryu, May 30, 2009, 07:48:28 pm

Ryu

May 30, 2009, 07:48:28 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
What do you think about the way Final Fantasy names it's colored mage jobs? Like "Red" Mage, "White" Mage, and "Red" Magic etc.

Do you think the word "Magus" sounds cooler than Mage?

Do you prefer colored magic abilities such as "Blue Magic" and "Red Magic" to be refered to as "Magic", "Magick", or something more original like, say, for Red Mages, have their type of magic to be called "Sorcery Sword" or "Chainspell"?

DarthPaul

May 31, 2009, 08:51:02 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Mage is much cooler than magus.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Samuraiblackbelt

May 31, 2009, 01:12:58 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
Quote from: "Ryu"What do you think about the way Final Fantasy names it's colored mage jobs? Like "Red" Mage, "White" Mage, and "Red" Magic etc.

Do you think the word "Magus" sounds cooler than Mage?

Do you prefer colored magic abilities such as "Blue Magic" and "Red Magic" to be refered to as "Magic", "Magick", or something more original like, say, for Red Mages, have their type of magic to be called "Sorcery Sword" or "Chainspell"?

I think you used "Red" Mage twice

I think mage is better

I think naming the skillset after the job is smart and it doesn't really need a more creative name
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 02:25:07 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
I said Red Mage then Red Magic ^^

I agree, Mage sounds better. My friend and I were discussing this a few days ago so I thought I'd see what you guys thought too.

mav

May 31, 2009, 02:49:30 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
I grew up on FFI, so I love the colored-mages and colored magic...and I despise the word magick. But as far as calling them "magus" goes, the word Magus sounds a little more archaic than Mage, so it really depends on context, if you ask me. Naming a skillset after a job is good, but we didn't see that in Vanilla, right? Didn't we have "Wizards" do "Black Magic" and "Priests" do "White Magic"?

It's uncreative to have "Black Mages" do"Black Magic", but it works...although, I really do prefer them putting in some more creativity.

Samuraiblackbelt

May 31, 2009, 03:16:23 pm #5 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:09:13 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
magus sounds more like an adjective than a noun ("magus cap" compared to "black magus")
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Vanya

May 31, 2009, 03:48:54 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "mav"Didn't we have "Wizards" do "Black Magic" and "Priests" do "White Magic"?

Only in the us & europe.
The original used the color mages.
Kuromadoushi & shiromadoushi,
Kuro = black, shiro = white, & madoushi = lit. magician/wizard.
In FF1, Color mages were designated by colormajutsushi.
Majutsushi = magic technique user.
In FF3, lower mages went by madoushi & their stronger counterparts were Doushi & Majin.
Doushi ~= Priest & Majin ~= Genie; lit. "Magical Being".
Akamadoushi (Red Wizard) didn't have a stronger counterpart unless you count Sage as such.
Up until this point they all used the command 'Magic'
And for the sake of completeness; Aoimadoushi & Midorimadoushi are the real names of our Blue & Green Mages.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Oblivion

June 01, 2009, 01:50:35 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
I don't mind the the names but there could be more creativity in naming them. I like in the US/EU versions of FFT how they at least changed Black Mage to Wizard and White Mage to Priest. The Oracle/Mystic job is just a Green Mage but I think it should be called Druid. As for the Red Mage, I don't really know another name for it...
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"