• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Need Advice

Started by SentinalBlade, May 23, 2009, 11:39:09 pm

What should i do?

Finish SoR first, However long it takes you.
3 (15%)
Work for the community, with ASM hacks and editing tools, and pick up SoR when you have time.
17 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: May 23, 2009, 11:40:18 pm

SentinalBlade

May 23, 2009, 11:39:09 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Hey guys
Need some advice
SoR will require alot more attention this summer then anything i have done so far. Unfortunatly, i just found out im 3,500$ short of the tuition for my college.

I am needing a Job for this summer, or college is out of the question.
SoR wont be as active as it needs to be...and to be honest, it obviously hasnt been active enough in the past, as many issues as its had with me updating(computer frying, computer stolen, grandpa dieing)

I need some advice on a decision: Stick with SoR, or ask zodiac to archive it, and just work for the community, doing ASM hacks and source work(like the formula editor)

SoR managed to go a LONG ways, but if i get a job, it wont get updated much, and i need a job. At least with ASM work, other people will get enjoyment further than a constant alpha patch.

Some thoughts, opinions and support, please. Im honestly stuck...SoR has been anticipated for a long time, and has alot of followers(especially in the shadows) but the entire community could benifit from ASM hacks or tools...

beawulfx

May 24, 2009, 12:47:05 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Well man I think you know your situation best and need to decide what you will be able to do with your changing circumstances in mind. If I had to answer the question I would probably say that you could do both whenever you have the time. Do whatever is most appealing to you at any given time. If you want to work on SoR one day then do that. If someone wants an ASM hack or you have a cool one in mind, work on that. I think a simple answer like that is best and will be the easiest/most fun for you, which is the most important thing.

I am a big fan of SoR and what you have done with it though, and I would hate to see it archived. I think it's a very exciting project and I'm sure many of us hope you will just work on it whenever you have the time while avoiding burning yourself out or getting frustrated with the project!
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

DarthPaul

May 24, 2009, 01:46:57 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I would like to SoR continue, though if that is out of the question I understand. It has been fun to help out where I could with the project, so maybe it is a little selfishness on my part to wish for it's continuance. Whatever you feel you need to do you know we will support it.

I would however like to know what kind of job you could get right now that would net you 4k in a single summer. I may be skeptical, but I hope it works out. You are a good friend and I hope you manage to get the money.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Goomba

May 24, 2009, 05:52:25 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Your ASM hacks and ways of always getting around the game's limitations are amazing, and everyone can use them.

People waited back when SOR was just an alpha. It's nothing new. We have the beta out now so that's at least something to play.

Second option.

Samuraiblackbelt

May 24, 2009, 06:17:26 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I don't think you should be asking us,real life is always more important than the internet,even if you don't work on it much,you're just doing SoR for fun
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

DarthPaul

May 24, 2009, 10:30:00 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"I don't think you should be asking us,real life is always more important than the internet,even if you don't work on it much,you're just doing SoR for fun

He is asking us because this is something that affects us. This is not the same as psp master's poll.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

philsov

May 26, 2009, 10:34:21 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteSoR managed to go a LONG ways, but if i get a job, it wont get updated much, and i need a job. At least with ASM work, other people will get enjoyment further than a constant alpha patch.

why make this poll? ;)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Cheetah

May 26, 2009, 11:09:31 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
When ever these things come up I always try to remember that I do this stuff for fun. You don't need to make an official decision, if you don't have time or energy for SoR then work on something that is interesting you more. We all work more efficiently when we are really enjoying what we are doing. But when you feel like it you can come back to SoR.
Current Projects:

SentinalBlade

May 26, 2009, 01:06:47 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Cheetah makes a good point

And even if he didnt, The winner of the poll is obvious. 2::13...lol

Ill ask zodiac to archive SoR for now...If i update it, it will be in the new projects forum. Hopefully he can restore it later if time allots it...

Scratch all of that. SoR makes me happy, thanks for the support you guys who posted.

I looked through some of the threads in general hacking and even in new projects...i saw how alot of people actually enjoy it...Just needed to be reminded of that =)

Archael

May 26, 2009, 02:08:39 pm #9 Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:21:11 pm by Archael
Since everyone else is too nice to say it I'll go ahead and do it, since alot of people think I'm a blunt asshole already anyway.

You are very disorganized in how you work and in the way you present ideas. I only need to open up a single SoR thread to already get lost in 1) what you are asking for and 2) what you are trying to accomplish 3) where the entire project is going.

Examples of this can be seen here, here, here, here, and in other threads. There's also a great deal of text talking about your medical condition, and reasons why you have not been able to work on the forum section / SoR.

I have no clue which ideas are finished, which ideas are scratched, which hacks you're still working on, or which hacks are in the mod, or what the general idea of a thread is. Looking at it from the outside, it is all very confusing. Some people work fine like that, but to be honest, if it was that efficient, the SoR section would be bigger, would have had more work finished, or would have more people keeping it alive and/or a different response in this poll.

The entire point of assigning a mod to new projects forum was so that people would not get false hopes up of projects that they have dreams of finishing, but that realistically, they have no clue of what they were getting into. I am not saying you won't finish SoR, but it is very easy to forget just how HUGE a full story hack can be, especially after you got your own forum section.

The fact that the SoR idea is a huge amount of work, coupled with the fact that it is hard to follow the work being done is the reason the poll looks like it does.

About projects atm:

Mercenaries, SoR, FFT Remix, and Call of Power all have forum sections. They are all huge modifications, with FFT Remix probably being the smallest one in scope.

I don't see any of them getting finished and/or close to playable any time soon. Why? They were personal projects from the start, with only 1 person truly working on them. And now all three have their own forum section, with only 1 person truly working on it still.

While it was possible to finish 1.3 with just a couple of people working on it, the only reason FFH got away with finishing 1.3 is because it is way smaller, and even then it took more than just 1 person, way more.

Unless your project is as simple in scope as 1.3, you'll need much more than just 1 person to finish it in a reasonable amount of time. None of the above are smaller or simpler than 1.3.

What I'm trying to say is that things like 1 person not having enough time to finish a full story hack (years of work) is inevitable considering the amount of IRL spare time 1 individual gets to this kinda stuff. This would not have happened if SoR was a large community project with more than 1 person putting true work in. This kinda stuff is bound to happen as long as people cannot settle on one major project they want to work on with the others in this site. Whether it be SoR, Mercenaries, or whatever, it's going to happen again.

1 person will never finish 1 full story line hack without it taking so long that stuff like this happens and people lose interest.

Smitson

May 26, 2009, 02:16:30 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Honestly, I agree with Arch for the most part.

SentinalBlade

May 26, 2009, 02:41:10 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I do agree with you on the most part. But i dont see how some of those topics you can get lost in. If youve been following SoR, the psp one should make sense. but the other 3 are easy enough to understand...one is about the changes in 0.06, the other is expanding on things still not implmented in 0.06 that i have talked about, and the other is kind of an appreciation thread. There are things in 1.3 forum that you wouldnt understand if you hadnt been following it, or have played it before...Most of what is in the SoR Forum requires you to have played whats been released or you will be confused. In what way are they hard to follow? You havnt picked up SoR before, so i can understand how you wouldnt fully comprehend some of the changes in th 0.06 topics... But then again, why are you looking at a 0.06 changes topici f you havnt touched SoR?

If it fails because im the only one doing it, so be it. I do it for the fun of it, and alot of other people enjoy seeing progress(however small) and enjoy playing it until the progress puts out.

I may find a larger team when im ready to do the storyline. 2-3 people working on the events would be an amazing help. But for now, the project hasnt reached its full scope.

It may fail, it may succeed. But im going ot try my hardest to make it work, even if it fails in the end. At least then i will have learned alot and had fun doing it.

EDIT: If i havnt said its "scratched" im working on doing it. There have only been several ideas ive scratched, and when i did that, i posted that i wasnt going to implement them. Also, really...how is the PSP revamp topic hard to follow? i was announcing that i am going ot port SoR to the PSP soon, because its been requested so much.

Samuraiblackbelt

May 26, 2009, 03:22:30 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
what makes it hard to fallow is that you use so many words to say so little,and you do it in a bunch of separate lines.
I do the same thing a lot,so for me it was pretty easy to understand,but I can see why it would be hard to fallow for someone else
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

DarthPaul

May 26, 2009, 05:00:01 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"what makes it hard to fallow is that you use so many words to say so little,and you do it in a bunch of separate lines.
I do the same thing a lot,so for me it was pretty easy to understand,but I can see why it would be hard to fallow for someone else

^ As stated above, you are the Hideo Kojima of FFH. Not that that is a bad thing.