• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:20:39 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy 4 Sequel

Started by SentinalBlade, May 16, 2009, 04:24:44 pm

SentinalBlade

May 16, 2009, 04:24:44 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/home/958463.html

Not that i believed gamefaqs at first.

It appears FF IV really is getting a sequel though. and its in all 2D goodness we love from the retro era.

Best part is, its not actually a small game on a huge disc. You can download it from WiiWare. And considering the amount of wii points that come on one card(i got 1000 for like 5$) id say this is something im defiantly going to have to look into. even if its just for nostalgia, and i end up hateing what theyve made this into. As appearntly, the main character is named Ceodore, the child of Cecil and Rosa....oh the cliches...

Release is scheduled for 6/01. thats the first day of next month for those who have trouble with number dates :P(people like me)

More Infor is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fant ... fter_Years

Apparently, it was released on a series of phones at first, and a new "chapter" released each month, and it was split up into 9 chapters to play.

hopefully the U.S. WiiWare release wont make me pay for all 9 chapters separately, if they split them up at all.

EDIT: GUESS WHAT GUYS?!?! Biggs and Wedge make a re-appearence. unfortunatly, they pass rather quickly it seems =(

Oblivion

May 16, 2009, 04:46:29 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Yeah Biggs and Wedge were the Red Wings soldiers that questioned Cecil's actions in the first game.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Smash

May 16, 2009, 04:55:04 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
I see Biggs and Wedge.

Anyway, should I either be content or frustrated by the fact that this wasn't something bigger..? Being FF4 one of my all time favorites, I was expecting a PS3 juggernaut sized remake or sequel. Yet, after a few orgasms caused by the DS trailer, we get that lazy Wind waker styled remake, and now then, this 'sequel' of it, that could easily be mistaken for a fan game, like the CC proyects.

Wouldn't be surprised if this originated as a fangame, myself.

SentinalBlade

May 16, 2009, 05:05:41 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
It was actually announced when FF: IV DS was announced(more or less, as they said it was a maybe). It does look kind of fan made, and its not going to live up to todays epicness that sequels tend to try to be. looking at most of them though....alot more have failed then succedded.

Personally, im sad it didnt get much publicity, but im glad its 2D. you dont see many of those games anymore. and when 3D animations are flying at you for 5 minutes for one attack, its hard to notice that wonderful gameplay essence underneath the flashy lights.

Its not as big as i wouldve wanted, but its definatly better than an RPGMaker fanmake.

Its a BIG FAD in japan though, ive noticed. to release sequels and side stories on phones i mean. There is a side story to dirge of Cerberus that was released on one of the phones, along with several installments of metal gear solid. Its popular over there...and im glad they are porting it over here, rather than just keeping it japanese and not releasing anything new here at all. its not EPIC WII/PS3 material, but itl get in my ff fix a bit.

Oblivion

May 16, 2009, 05:08:28 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
i hate when game companies release games only on cell phones. they were going to do that with Agito XIII.

Smash

May 16, 2009, 05:15:39 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
But yet, a thought..

Could Crono Trigger share this same fate..? Just by looking at Square releasing something like this, and the fact that the Crono Compendium proyects were C&D'd, well, I just cannot sit still.

LastingDawn

May 17, 2009, 01:51:10 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
That's what I personally would hope they would do, that's where the next foundation of fan gaming is in my opinion if Nintendo would take advantage of it, but I've been Waiting for this game for Years now! FF4 The After has been one of my most highly anticipated games since I heard about it, and it's finally coming to WiiWare!  June 1st? Can't wait!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SentinalBlade

May 17, 2009, 08:31:15 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I know the feeling LD

To me, it doesnt matter the scale of the game, its the quality. If a hacked project gets shut down for an official remake, im all for it(for the most part), but it doesnt matter what system it will be on, as long as i enjoy myself with it.

It shouldnt be painful to play, like some sequels. I would rather have a half-decent version of ffx-2 on my zune, rather than the 3D heap of sad programming they put on the ps2. Hell, id pay for a remake of ffV on WiiWare, even if its just the same story line with difficulty/replayability enhanced.

At least FF4 TYA wont fail to meet any expectations in certain mechanics. its using a time tested awesome system, and doesnt have much room to fail with it. If they made it into a PS3 thing, it would no doubt cause major dissapointment in alot of areas.

Vanya

May 17, 2009, 09:42:08 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
From what I understand the WiiWare version will have the same content as the original cellphone release, but with the chapters merged into larger chunks to reduce the number of downloads from 13 to something like 5. There's a fair amount of coverage on the original here: (With spoilers! Be warned!) http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_After_Years
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Oblivion

May 18, 2009, 03:38:32 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Maybe I'm the only one to notice but...

CEODORE'S SPRITE HAS WIERD HAIR!!!!

Other than that, I'm looking foward to this. It'll give me a reason to play my Wii again.

Smitson

May 19, 2009, 05:28:17 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Fuck, why did I have to sell my Wii :cry:.

philsov

May 19, 2009, 05:30:45 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteFinal Chapter Part Two: Planet Eater
Released in Japan on December 24, 2008
The party continues on to encounter four crystals, each containing one of the Four Fiends from Final Fantasy, namely Lich, Marilith, Kraken and Tiamat. Four more crystals contain Beelzebub, Astaroth, King Behemoth, and Iron Giant from the final dungeon (Pandaemonium) of Final Fantasy II. Shortly after, four dark cystals containing the four sub-bosses of the World of Darkness from Final Fantasy III (The 2-Headed Dragon, Echidna, Cerberus, and Ahriman). The party next encounters Gilgamesh and Atomos from Final Fantasy V, followed by Phantom Train and Ultros from Final Fantasy VI. Omega and Shinryu from Final Fantasy V, and Ultima Weapon and Deathgaze from Final Fantasy VI are available as optional bosses, as well.

Holy fan service.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Oblivion

May 20, 2009, 02:47:14 am #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:05:14 am by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteFinal Chapter Part Two: Planet Eater
Released in Japan on December 24, 2008
The party continues on to encounter four crystals, each containing one of the Four Fiends from Final Fantasy, namely Lich, Marilith, Kraken and Tiamat. Four more crystals contain Beelzebub, Astaroth, King Behemoth, and Iron Giant from the final dungeon (Pandaemonium) of Final Fantasy II. Shortly after, four dark cystals containing the four sub-bosses of the World of Darkness from Final Fantasy III (The 2-Headed Dragon, Echidna, Cerberus, and Ahriman). The party next encounters Gilgamesh and Atomos from Final Fantasy V, followed by Phantom Train and Ultros from Final Fantasy VI. Omega and Shinryu from Final Fantasy V, and Ultima Weapon and Deathgaze from Final Fantasy VI are available as optional bosses, as well.

Holy fan service.
this chapter is all to similar to the bonus dungeons in FF1's remake on GBA and PSP. but still i wouldn't mind fighting shinryu or omega with KAIN and CECIL!!!

SentinalBlade

May 20, 2009, 02:52:49 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Fan Service?!?!?! SE HAS NEVER DONE SUCH A THING BEFORE, HAVE THEY!?!?!

Ivallice alliance has done some crappy shit with some of the completly new ones(ff12, ffta2 etc.) but they do know how to bring some nostalgia back for the older players.

Oblivion

May 20, 2009, 03:10:31 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
EDITED MY POST BEFORE THIS ONE!

Anyways...

Yeah they've done the super boss dungeons countless times. In FFV Advance, they introduced Neo Shinryu and Omega Mk II. In FFIV Advanced, they had super dungeons where you soloed with Edge, Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Rydia in order to get uber strong wepaons or spells/summons.

philsov

May 20, 2009, 09:11:44 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Fan Service?!?!?! SE HAS NEVER DONE SUCH A THING BEFORE, HAVE THEY!?!?!

Not on this scale, no.

Bosses from 5 other FF titles?
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.