• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 12:40:42 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A little bit of philosophy talk~

Started by Nova, January 02, 2009, 11:32:29 pm

DarthPaul

January 05, 2009, 10:20:39 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "philsov"
Quote<Darth_Paul> Nice sex is one of the best things about living.

You need to experience the different sex variants, Darth.

That is a possibility Philsov.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Koizumi

January 05, 2009, 10:47:50 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Koizumi
I personally believe there isn't a real reason, this planet just happened to support life, and humans just happened to come to be here. The concept of "why we live" is just something created from the fact that we have the ability to wonder such things. This is just my opinion on the matter of course.

Asmo X

January 05, 2009, 11:07:45 pm #22 Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:14:01 pm by Asmo X
Being a steward of the earth sounds nice, but I don't think it's of any value to someone going through an existential crisis. The problem goes that if there's no authority to set benchmarks on morality and purpose, then we live in a valueless universe and thus one without meaning. To add, I don't think that if such an authority existed it would make a scrap of difference so long as you still have people who are free to contemplate and act outside the guidance of that authority. Firstly, this would still leave the individual as the indecisive author of their own existence and secondly, it would seem to weaken the dominion of the authority who sets the rules.

This view of "meaning" is pretty grim, but I think a bit too simplistic to cover human experience for reasons which I don't feel like elaborating on at the moment. The point I'm trying to make is that as long as people are endlessly free to act and contemplate, there will never be any freedom from "why" even if God itself decrees that you have a job. After all, why does it seem that I am capable of ignoring my duty?

DarthPaul

January 05, 2009, 11:09:22 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I have a similar opinion to Koiz but I believe in the possibility of a god. If we just so happened to come to existence by coincidence then our upper level of cognition makes us need a sense of meaning to live and that's why kooks cling to religion. In essence peoples meaning for living is what keeps our society from collapsing.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Samuraiblackbelt

January 06, 2009, 08:57:20 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
the agnostic,dislexic,insomniac stayed up all night wondering if there was a doG
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."