• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Good DS Games? Look No further!

Started by SentinalBlade, January 31, 2009, 04:19:49 am

Celdia

February 10, 2009, 01:59:36 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
@FFMaster: You really think in an age where most games have given up on "lives" and "continues" in place of "you come back to life at the room's entrance like nothing ever happened" there would be a real Rogue-like?
I found this though. http://stuartp.commixus.com/nhds/ Not sure if you have what is needed to make it run but if you know Rogue-likes then I would hope you know Nethack.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

FFMaster

February 11, 2009, 03:41:13 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Yes I played Nethack. I've also played Dwarf Fortress and Ancient Domains of Mystery.

Nethack DS looks very interesting. Thanks Celdia

@Asmo X: OMG that was the game I was looking for. Thanks! It's just too bad that people don't have enough interest in Rogue-likes anymore. I like Rogue-likes mainly due to the fact that I feel as though as I was actually in the game. Doing whatever it takes not to die rather than the "I'll just respawn" mentality is what makes the game more realistic to me, not fucking graphics and a physics engine.

More on topic: Since I am also a big fighting game addict, I would recommend:
Bleach DS Sōten ni Kakeru Unmei
Bleach DS 2nd Kokui Hirameku Requiem

These fighting games have a large focus on combo's juggling and level 3 supers. The second game has much more balance than the first, although many more joke characters(at least no bullshit Aizen from the first game). I have had the first game since it came out, and my friends have BDS2. We play very often, and its always fun. If you can get past the Japanese text, get the Japanese version. The english voices are annoying, but to each his own.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

philsov

bump!

Anyone have more decent additions for the list?  About to grab a DS here shortly.  I know I want DQ9 and puzzlequest 2 in addition to some of the others in the OP.

edit:  and no way in hell am I getting the hoshigami port.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

beawulfx

Some awesome underrated ones missing;

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (Pretty damn fun, short and to the point straight up JRPG in the Dragon Ball world up to the fight with Vegeta. I definitely dug this game and I'm not a huge DBZ guy)

Laevatien Tactics (Probably spelled that wrong - really fun SRPG on the DS that nobody talks about, and it has some serious challenge at times! It is much more strategic than many Strategy RPGs nowadays and can be unforgiving, but not too hard if you know what you are doing - definitely a fun game)

Then for other amazing but really not underrated or lesser known games that weren't mentioned;

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (OMG I love Dragon Quest - can't get better classic JRPG feelings then these)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (OMG I love Dragon Quest - can't get better classic JRPG feelings then these)
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (OMG I love Dragon Quest - can't get better classic JRPG feelings then these)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (Fun game, original concept and a great use of Touch screen controls which is RARE)
Kirby Super Star: Ultra (Gotta love old school Kirby)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Partners on Time but even better!)
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (SMRPG sequel in essence - not QUITE as good, but these games rule)
New Super Mario Bros (Old school fun)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Really fun puzzle game)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Amazing SRPG that I played through like 3 times - seriously. It is awesome)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Fantastic JRPG)
Suikoden: Tierkreis (Pretty solid but not up to Suikoden standards)

I especially recommend the DQ games, and SMT games, they are phenomenal and the M+L ones too.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

GeneralStrife

wtf layton is my last name.................

on topic where are the pokemanz games, they rock on the ds more then gameboy

philsov

QuoteDragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (OMSA I love Dragon Quest - can't get better classic JRPG feelings then these)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (OMSA I love Dragon Quest - can't get better classic JRPG feelings then these)

Unless its their SNES/NES versions!  Those don't offer enough new stuff to warrant a purchase from me -- same as Chrono Trigger.  But FF4 is actually redesigned/harder and has the augment thing, which is enough for me.  Same deal with the Heroes of Light or whatever game slated for... October?  It's FF1 but with the FF3 job system.  I'm real excited about that one.

I also played the absolute hell out of kirby super star on the SNES... time to check out what ultra offers...

I'll definitely be checking out the SMT games though!
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Oblivion

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is pretty awesome, imo. I love the story and it has decent gameplay.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

h0ndman2