• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Changle Shields to Mantles

Started by Snap006, June 15, 2013, 05:59:00 pm

Snap006

I'm trying to create more accessories and less shields. I used shields to create some mantles. I changed everything in the FFPatcher, but when I get into the game, the mantles that were once shields can only be equipped as shields. Is this hard coded into the game and is there anyway around this? Thanks.

Jumza

I'm unsure of whether or not it's hardcoded (I bet it's not though)

Upload a screenshot of your FFTPatcher with the screen on one of your edited shields. It's possible you've done something wrong here and I can help point it out.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Snap006

This is The Genji Shield that I'm trying to change into a mantle.

RavenOfRazgriz

It is hardcoded actually, Jumza.  The game works off tables for Item types in terms of where they equip to on the body so you can't make a Shield into a Mantle or a Sword for example.  You also can't turn a Hat into a Robe, etc. 

(You "can" but the result is fairly buggy.)

Snap006

Crap. Had to find out the hard way. Thanks for the help.

pokeytax

You can try this hack: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6505.msg185882#msg185882.  But in order to get fewer shields and more mantles, you'll have to scoot a lot of armor over, which is a huge pain.  (You also do have to go through and update everything in Patcher, additionally.)  No guarantees on the hack fully working, it's been a while.
  • Modding version: PSX

Snap006

That's an ASM hack correct. If so, that's a little out my league for right now.