• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Plans for new sprites, whats everyone working on?

Started by Zozma, April 24, 2008, 08:34:17 pm

jimmyjw88

These are looking promising. Great work. Looking forward to this.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

formerdeathcorps

The female ninja doesn't look right, especially around the mouth.  But otherwise, this looks good.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Atma

[attachment=0:3vpc5tz8]Samurai F - Atma - WIP.png[/attachment:3vpc5tz8]
I changed the hair to look more like the disgaea version.  i was gonna add the red around the cuff of the sleeve, but with such little detail (and a lot of hands to do) i decided against adding it.  i also took out one of the pleats from her hakama, was looking too messy.  

@formerdeathcorps - i see what u mean about the ninja's face.  not a lot of pixels to work with, but i'll try and make it work.  i'm kind of thinking of making her look like Ibuki from Street Fighter 3.  for the time being, i'm probably not gonna work on that sprite till i get the samurai finished.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kagebunji

Marvelous job on this new Ronin, I always loved Disgaea design. Ninja isn't bad, but there is poor shading near breasts area, post smaller sizes too, cause it is easier to identify if the shading is correct. Also I think Cloud's armguard isn't working here, she had both arms non armored IIRC, only some clothes.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

The new Ronin hair is much much better, animation looks real good to. The rear side and straight rear views for the hair look a bit odd though. Also she looks a bit flat in the chest, especially the side view, but double check me on that compared to other sprites and don't give her super boobs. The bared stomach concerned me at first but I think it is working for now.

The hips on the ninja, especially the front frame, need to be cut down a bit and given different shading. Right now they just look like skin colored pants on the front frame. The mask needs more work as others mentioned. Both are great concepts.
Current Projects:

Mari

Quote from: "Cheetah"The new Ronin hair is much much better, animation looks real good to. The rear side and straight rear views for the hair look a bit odd though. Also she looks a bit flat in the chest, especially the side view, but double check me on that compared to other sprites and don't give her super boobs. The bared stomach concerned me at first but I think it is working for now.

The hips on the ninja, especially the front frame, need to be cut down a bit and given different shading. Right now they just look like skin colored pants on the front frame. The mask needs more work as others mentioned. Both are great concepts.
He's basing them off of a game where men have bigger breasts than the girls.
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

Cheetah

Don't forget to do 100% previews along with the bigger ones, it really helps in giving feedback.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Kagebunji"post smaller sizes too
Quote from: "Cheetah"Don't forget to do 100% previews along with the bigger ones

Yes, that is what I said, Mr.Cheetah :P

Do what Mr.Cheetah said and you will have good sprite in no time.

Atma

wow, tons of replies.  i'll post %100 zoom if u'd like.  i was just thinking a lil larger so u can all see the detail.  usually when i finish a sheet, i go in to shishi and go frame by frame with a magnifier and check misplaced pixels.  one question... i've been using the arms from reis and they're type 2, but there's an option in shishi to change the type... does that work well, or should i change the arms manually if i want it back to type 1?

Mari

I'm not too experienced with the types, for sprites..
But the best way to go for posting the sprites is to have both the larger ones like you have, but with the normal sized like they said.
You can notice some things better when it's bigger and some better when it's smaller!

I'm really loving where this ronin is going!

Cheetah

I believe that changing the type is ShiShi doesn't actually change the placement, just how the game animates everything. So if Reis is a type 2 then your Ronin sprite will also be type 2. I find checking the animatiosn to be even more helpful when checking for errors. Posting animation previews is always a great idea as well.
Current Projects:

Atma

so... does that mean you could only replace a type 2 sprite with another type 2, or u could overwrite any sprite so long as u change the type in shishi?

Cheetah

ShiShi can change the type, so you can replace anything.
Current Projects:

Atma

[attachment=0:3c6fjbhx]Samurai - Ronin 01 - by Atma.png[/attachment:3c6fjbhx]
got a lot of the basic stuff done.  the arms are gonna be the worst for this sprite since a lot don't fit right, so i'll probably have to manually adjust almost every arm to match it up.  
i plugged it into shishi... some frames looked hilarious.  the mouth for casting was off by her eye.  i never realized how much different type 1 and 2 are!

Lijj

What do you use to magnify in Shishi's Atma. Please tell me I was using an actual magnifying glass and it hurt my eyes.
  • Modding version: PSX

MasterGrand

wow that is amazing spirte !! , are you who is draw this spirte ?
Let's be together !!

Cheetah

Yeah this sprite is looking amazing and you are making very good progress. I still stand by my earlier statements about the hair looking a bit odd in the rear and side rear view, but it is all looking great in the walking frames. Make sure you are doing your testing in the correct type, there should be any major editing required.
Current Projects:

Mari

I agree fully with Cheetah.
The poses he's mentioning look like a slightly different hairstyle to me.

Let's use this one as an example:

Take a look at pose #4 & #5 with pose #6. I think I can see the biggest contrast here.
On post 6, her hair hangs down. Fairly loose at the end of the ponytail.
But in #4 and #5..  It's been curled! There's no curl in any of the other poses, except rear and rear diagonal!

mav

Mari and Cheetah make good points. And like everyone else has said, this is a really solid looking sprite. I think the hair color looks a little dull; you may wanna consider adding some more contrast, but I think you're making great progress on a phenomenal sprite.

Atma

in regards to the hair...it's meant to look like it's swaying, since it's the walking animation.  i haven't looked closely at it in shishi, yet to see how it looks.  it does seem like it sways much more to one side than the other.  I'm glad you are all catching these little details, but remember this is just 'sketch work'.  i'm gonna finish the rough draft of the sheet before i do all the little tweaks.  i actually like the tweaking stage, it's where it starts to really look polished.
@ Mav - i agree about the colour.  as it is, it's exactly the colours from the disgaea sprite which is a little different style, but i'll probably change it.
@ Lijj - i'm using the windows magnifier.  go to: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier