• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 01:01:20 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Why do people relentlessly bash the new script?

Started by Wiegraf, October 13, 2010, 07:09:57 pm

Wiegraf

I dont understand, The new script is absolutely marvelous in my opinion and brings more beauty and meaning to an otherwise boring script. The original was good, but I feel like the PSP script is the best. With speeches like this:

"How can you nobles live as you do and yet hold your heads so high? We
are not chattel! We are humans, no less than you! What flaw do you hold there
to be in us? That we were born between a different set of walls? Do you know
what it means to hunger? To sup for months on naught but broth of bean? Why
must we be made to starve that you might grow fat? You call us thieves, but it
is you who steal from us the right to live!"

or this

"Revenge? You think that is what drives me? I have no such petty
concerns. I do not fight to avenge Milleuda's death. I sow the seeds of chaos
in the world of men, and reap the anguished cries of the weak. But worry not,
Ramza. Yours is a special case. I shall kill -you- myself!"

I dont understand why people claim it is so awful all the time. Especially on Gamefaqs.
What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

Dominic NY18

Looks like someone stumbled on the Retranslation topic on GameFAQs.

But seriously, it's because people have differing opinions of it. While you think it's awesome, others think it's overwrought/pretentious/flowery/unnatural/etc. For them, those same speeches illustrate the problem with the dialogue. You know, people just having different opinions on the same thing. There are plenty of people who are like you and enjoy the new translation (it was one of the motivations behind FFT Complete). Don't take it too seriously.

And to be fair, that topic's on the PS1 FFT board. You'd get a more mixed response from the PSP board.

I prefer it over the original myself, if only because the original managed to muddle certain facts and plot points (or get them completely wrong) and it's Engrishy tone is no more natural than the style they went for in WOTL. It gets bonus points for the references it makes to various works and people in the real world (for example, Wiegraf makes a shout out to Marx at Riovanes).

Just enjoy whichever one you enjoy and don't worry about what others think.

Wiegraf

What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

Kill_Bones

As one who dislikes the script, my reason is the whole overdramaticness of it. I liked it being straightforward, I mean who actually talks like WOtL Characters? If I was weigraf, I would say "I don't give a damn about miluda's death", not the poetic-like way he says it in the PSP version. Besides, how could you not love the hilarious mistranslations of the original? Some people like the Script, some don't.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Mari

If they did a better translation of the original script, I'd love it.
I just dislike the way they did it. The olde english type whatever.

Give me a retranslated FFT for PSX, in the PSX style.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

Archael

^ this

Ever played Vagrant Story?

WOTL with a Vagrant Story-esque script would have been a masterpiece (o and without the slow down too of course)!

Dominic NY18

[s:15kellop]I wish there was a there was a script for Vagrant Story floating around out there[/s:15kellop] (I still haven't played it yet :()

Anyone who wants hasn't played Vagrant Story and wants to check out the script can take a look at this:

Vagrant Story Script

I'll check it out and give my thoughts on it later.

Wiegraf

Quote from: "Voldemort"Ever played Vagrant Story?

Actually yes, and its one of my favorite games ever (On a semi related note, thanks for having such great Lets Plays on your youtube channel, I used it back when I was beginning). So much about that game was so awesome, but I cant name anything which was bad in it. And I agree that the translation for it was excellent.

-Wiegraf

ffta707

I think Square E put a lot of work into the WOTL script. I however grew up on Final Fantasy Tactics, and playing WOTL just didn't impress me like the first one did (Especially with that slow down). It was all a little complex, and I think it is understood that it is old English, so they don't need to write like it. Honestly, I don't think taking the end of the sentence and putting it at the beginning makes it any better. But that's only my opinion.

philsov

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4411

so far we're 50/50.

I consider the original to be the lesser of two evils.  WotL went too far.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

sutebenukun

In all honesty, I don't mind the flowery speech. To me it did fit the setting pretty well; what irked me was the overly dramatic names of the locations. I prefer the name Sweegy Woods; it was simple and yet really put the location into perspective.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: sutebenukun

Atma

i'm also very used to the original script, but i find the new one gives the whole game a 'new game' feel.
i do think they made some of the dialogue a bit too odd and some of the names of people and places a bit unnecessary. (Zalbaag <don't see y it has 2 'a's  or Eagros... Igros is pronounced the same way)
so, i definitely agree with a lot of the people that bash the scripts, but really, i just have a few peeves about it that i can overlook. (tho, i intend to tweak the script and names on my own patch)
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Pata Hikari

Quote from: Kill_Bones on October 15, 2010, 06:40:50 pmI mean who actually talks like WOtL Characters?

Who actually talks like the people in the original FFT?

In real life, people hardly ever talk like you hear in fiction. The text in WoTL is poetic, and feels like something written to be performed on stage. It has style.

It's not realistic speech, but it was never meant to be.