• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA)

Started by itoikenza, October 01, 2010, 10:42:24 am

Samuraiblackbelt

<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Kill_Bones

Would we really get affected by this? We're not claiming the game as our own. We're making new things based off of FFT. It's kinda like hightech fanfiction (Except a lot less WEIRD). But then again, with the kinda crap companies get to pull nowadays, like removing a youtube video's sound because the maker didn't credit them, who knows... Let's hope it gets rejected...

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Samuraiblackbelt

well it CAN effect us, whenever Square decides they want it to
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

Jon

Yeah, in theory Square will hopefully never realize what we are doing. But one dumb ass writing a letter is all it takes to fuck up everything we have accomplished. My tutorials and sprites would be gone! No!!

On the other hand, why would Square care what we do with a game that we have purchased? Its ours, we can do whatever we want with it, i.e. make an iso of it and hack.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Samuraiblackbelt

dinosaur

The majority of senate is democratic so hopefully it won't pass.

If passed, someone has to sue FFH and the courts would have to deem it blacklisted. Who would want to spend all that legal fees and they could potentially lose.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

The Senator who introduced this bill is a democrat.  Granted, he probably doesn't know how to turn on a computer, but still, he's a democrat.  And the entities that support this bill are both labor unions - very liberal labor unions, at that - and sue-happy industry-media groups.  On top of all that, neither Bush Jr. nor Obama released the full text of the ACTA treaty, which looks worse than this thing.

If this thing passes, no one has to sue anyone.  It won't go to a court, because the only prerequisite for blacklisting an url is the allegation of copyright infringment, which should be filed with the Department of Justice, which I believe is an executive (enforcement) entity, not a judicial (interpretive) entity.

Also, we need to make several rally points, in case we get blacklisted.

dinosaur

Hmmm, I think the person files the compliant with the DOJ (department of justice) then they file a law suit. We also have a right of appeal.

...maybe I should go to law school instead :P