• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:35 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Esper Sprite] Mateus, The Corrupt

Started by Smash, July 13, 2010, 09:16:29 pm

Smash

July 13, 2010, 09:16:29 pm Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:37:02 pm by Smash
Branching off from the esper thread to avoid a mess, as alot of updates are to come.

All discussion, critique, artwork and pixelwork relating to this esper goes here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest artwork:

[attachment=1:o5i0y18i]Mateus progress 2.png[/attachment:o5i0y18i]
Entirely in pencil
The scan looks decent, but it's not making the real one (which looks epic) any justice, even without all the contrast tweaks..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest sprite:

[attachment=0:o5i0y18i]Front.png[/attachment:o5i0y18i]

Older progress:
To be updated

R999

Looking fantastic. I am surprised all of this came through the scanner.

Staff or Not
Sprite is looking great. I definitely don't think she looks plain without the Staff. Look at Hashmal or Quekelain. She has far more features and detail (and color) than all of the Lucavi. You are not done with the sticks at the back right?

I think the brightest yellow to her right shoulder (our left) is a bit too much.. Overall, the coloring and shading looks very nice. Good choice of colors, there's a great deal of contrast here.

Post the original for comparison though.

Smash

Updated.

Emperor Mateus' design of FFII influenced this, as well as FFTA Mateus.

Sprite is still WIP, btw.

R999

I commented on the Staff earlier but I thought about it so more... If the Staff can make up majority of detail of the sprite, then go for it. If not then I don't think we should bother. I am hoping for a Giant Staff if that is what you are going with.

Either way, it makes sense if you could show us how the Staff would look like first before we make our votes.

Smash

Poll updated.

The two staff options are within sheet limits, and can't get any bigger.

I myself would go with option B.

R999

^ B definitely.  Though, are you positive that there will be enough space for cast animations?

Depends how the Casting is handle imo.

Lijj

Interesting recreation; looks Egyptoid.. Chose A. Busy as it is.
The bottom part of the tail, though I know it's WIP, confuses me.
  • Modding version: PSX

LastingDawn

My votes for B, I love that you might actually be able to put in the trident.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Zozma

B's staff spot looks perfect, seeing it makes A seem to lack something so i also vote for B
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Archael

sprite is looking EEEEEEEPIC

voted A

looks amazing without any staff

Smash

Update: Got alot of poses done. Will post soon. [No internet]

As for my week long absence, mind my summer vacation time.. I wasn't planning to be online too much over the summer anyways.

R999

Good to see you are back Smash!  I hope you are enjoying your vacation :)  

Be sure to check out the Special Effects thread, the Hero jobs thread, if you haven't already done so. If you are interested on the game mechanics side of things, consider joining our meeting next week.

Smash

First post updated. Front pose now finished, animation to come.

R999

Those Sticks at the back and the fins turned out to look very nice! I am not sure about the Staff now... I see you put in some great efforts, but I think it is unnecessary now that I see the rest of the whole sprite itself. It's almost as if it is in the way. And then, how would you go about animating it?

I like it though to be honest, but she could go without it.

Zozma

Im pretty sure that smash can easily handle animating the staff useage but maybe you're right, perhaps it really isn't needed. all the other beasts dont hold a weapon except altima rite...
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kagebunji

This is epic win, staff is nice too, but it is not nesscecary. I am fine with all your choices, Smash.

Smash

Port done!

[attachment=0:3qmbe5jh]Ref.png[/attachment:3qmbe5jh]

Also, front idle complete, as well as the back pose. Will post once I get enough for a fat update.
It's confirmed too, sprite won't have staff. This because of the rotating map/sprite flip problem.

Also, did this whole proyect die? If R999 or anyone doesn't come here to explain/update IA info regarding all that's happened, Im moving this to the Spriting forum as a separate proyect.
Another update: College started. Expect slow activity from me now on.

LastingDawn

R999's not gone, to our knowledge, but he said he was taking a short vacation (with all of the business that was going on... I can't blame him on) and he said he would be back in ten days, that was about 4-5 days ago.

I'm sure he'll appreciate any progress that was done in his absence though, Mateus looks positively fantastic!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Lijj

:shock: That looks nice!!! Great textures, lighting...everything. Unbelievably good.
I'm sad you took Mateus but surely for the better;)
Even the angle.. that's kind of what I wanted to portray as well since she is looming over the heroes etc.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Fucking awesome. I am lookin forward to this. I am confused too, I dunno if R will be back, it was kinda long now... He could at least inform everyone involved that the project is on-hold or something.