• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 10:00:08 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Educational System Has Hopes Afterall

Started by Archael, April 04, 2009, 09:56:08 pm

Archael

Kaijyuu

April 05, 2009, 02:06:21 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I'm more concerned about our elementary and middle school's incompetence than our university's.

Kick gym off the schedule and replace it with important educational subjects such as this.
  • Modding version: PSX

dwib

April 05, 2009, 03:05:02 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Kicking physical education out of public schooling would be the dumbest possible thing

Cao Ren

April 05, 2009, 03:47:45 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cao Ren
Quote from: "dwib"Kicking physical education out of public schooling would be the dumbest possible thing
Considering how they're actually teaching PE, not really, no. I would know as that's one of my classes and literally more than half of the class period (some 45 minutes, give or take three), we do absolutely no physical work which is stupid and a waste of time (hence why it's stupid).

What they need to do is fix how they're teaching PE. At least in Florida, they do.

Smitson

April 05, 2009, 10:27:41 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "dwib"Kicking physical education out of public schooling would be the dumbest possible thing

How you figure?

Archael

April 05, 2009, 10:43:31 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
PE class should be Gym Class (and not just weights, but pullups, squat, deadlifts, etc, the real shit)

45 minute routine with weights and sub that for 45 mins cardio for the really overweight people.

Problem solved and it'd get people in WAY better shape.

DarthPaul

April 05, 2009, 10:44:54 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
As Cao Ren stated the PE system would be much better if it was a more play oriented class.

You have to make physical activity fun or who gives a shit.

It shouldn't be a class anyway, give the kids a ball and tell them to find some kind of athletic game to play and maybe it would fly.

Honestly though saying you run a mile and I'll time you is a pointless thing to be paid for.

I honestly think none o f my PE teachers except for possibly 2 should have been paid for their job as the didn't do jack shit.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

SentinalBlade

April 05, 2009, 10:57:08 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Most PE teachers in florida do just that, darth. Ill time you as i watch your butt shake while your running.

I swear, in highschool, all the teachers were pedophiles.

I know one man who did it right. 3 out of the 5 school days, you worked. ran, pull ups, blah blah blah; the other 2 days you read out of the health book, stuff about muscles and how to take care of them and hte proper way to keep yourself in shape, what carbs and protein is, and so forth. That is actually useful info + a good physical routine.

Their is also a Weightlifting class down at Rutherford(in florida). never took it, but i think the goal is to dead lift about 50 more pounds at end of year. Basically all you do is lift weights. no buk learnins alowed, ya hear?

DarthPaul

April 06, 2009, 11:41:23 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Indeed most PE teachers are glorified babysitters.

Though here we have a PE and a Health class so my senior year of PE we did Jogging/Sports and Weight Lifting/Cardio on alternating days and that worked very well.

But other than that I didn't have a good PE teacher since 3rd grade in Virginia.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

April 06, 2009, 11:49:05 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Most PE teachers in florida do just that, darth. Ill time you as i watch your butt shake while your running.

I swear, in highschool, all the teachers were pedophiles.

I know one man who did it right. 3 out of the 5 school days, you worked. ran, pull ups, blah blah blah; the other 2 days you read out of the health book, stuff about muscles and how to take care of them and hte proper way to keep yourself in shape, what carbs and protein is, and so forth. That is actually useful info + a good physical routine.

Their is also a Weightlifting class down at Rutherford(in florida). never took it, but i think the goal is to dead lift about 50 more pounds at end of year. Basically all you do is lift weights. no buk learnins alowed, ya hear?

those sound like great PE programs

DarthPaul

April 06, 2009, 11:54:15 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
My favorite part of PE was to max all the weight on the machines on the first try and moving straight to dead lifting(which we where not supposed to start till the second semester) woot.

philsov

April 06, 2009, 12:00:45 pm #11 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:38:17 pm by philsov
I didn't have to take one single health/PE course for my college degree, which freed up elective space for classes such as the one Arch posted.  But the closest to cool nerdy classes my university offered was the philosophy of sex.  Which I wanted to take but it conflicted with a class towards my major that was only offered at one time once a year.

As for high school, I just did cross country/track.  I miss being able to run seven miles :'(
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

April 06, 2009, 12:05:05 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I was never able to run seven miles.

Consider yourself lucky.

philsov

April 06, 2009, 12:25:20 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "ph33rb0t"I was never able to run seven miles.

Consider yourself lucky.

luck had nothing to do with it, unless you count two working legs and a properly working circulation system lucky.  When I started I was a pudgeball who couldn't do a mile without walking.  

Just takes a lot of time and focus.  I could get back up to 7 miles a day again, but I'm just not willing to spend the time on it.

DarthPaul

April 06, 2009, 02:26:38 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I think you where lucky because you were able to bring yourself to focus.

I have never been able to focus on physical activity unless a game is involved.

I don't find running fun so I just never got into doing it.

philsov

April 06, 2009, 04:53:36 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
you don't want to stay at 2d6 CON forever, do you?!

CidIII

April 06, 2009, 04:57:09 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
8th grade PE for me.
Monday day play basketball, Tuesday run for 1 hour, Wednesday play basketball, Thursday run for 1 hour, and Friday work out for 1 hour.

It was fun as heel though.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Smitson

April 06, 2009, 05:04:50 pm #17 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:00:09 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "ph33rb0t"I think you where lucky because you were able to bring yourself to focus.

I have never been able to focus on physical activity unless a game is involved.

I don't find running fun so I just never got into doing it.

Exactly, i don't like running for the hell of it. I need a motive.
My PE is
Do whatever you want - > Warmup - - > Stretch - - -> Our current unit(health,soccer,hockey,basketball etc.)

CidIII

April 06, 2009, 05:07:55 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Because you don't want hot chicks to see that you're the only fat ass walking is a good motive.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

DarthPaul

April 06, 2009, 05:49:21 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I have never had a problem with the ladies.

Though I see how that could be a motive.

IT isn't the motive for me though. Maybe if I got shocked by my shoes when I touches them to the ground would be a good motive.