• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:13:27 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A question about EXP gain.

Started by Silverbags, August 30, 2022, 06:19:20 pm

Silverbags

Hello, so I'm playing the TLW mod and I love it. I'm wondering though, is it possible to adjust EXP gains? I'd like my characters to level faster so that I don't have to grind as many random maps or farm EXP with Accumulate etc...

Is it possible to adjust the EXP gains? Or maybe there's an existing mod that already does this?

Thanks
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Silverbags

nitwit

August 30, 2022, 08:46:42 pm #1 Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:35:14 pm by nitwit
Looking at this page of the wiki.
https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Attacker%27s_Earned_Experience

I think you could nop this line to remove the Gained Exp Up support skill requirement for 1.5x experience gain.
0018d6bc: 10400002 beq r2,r0,0x0018d6c8        ;   Branch if unit doesn't have Gained EXP UP
Doing that removes the conditional branch, ensuring (if I'm correct) that the 1.5x experience gain bit of code is run for everyone.

Give it a shot as a gameshark code.
8001 8d6bc 00 00
8001 8d6be 00 00

8018d6bc 0000
8018d6be 0000

It might need a check to ensure it works only during battle, so only turn it on after you're in a battle. Then if it works:
1. Export BATTLE.BIN from your patched rom using CD Mage.
2. Edit the corresponding addresses in BATTLE.BIN - fill them with 00.
3. Import BATTLE.BIN into your patched rom using CD Mage.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this somewhere though. Seems simple enough, wouldn't surprise me if someone else got it first.

Be aware this applies to enemies too, don't let them beat up on you unless you want them to out-level you.

edit

You could also change the base experience in that same routine.
0018d648: 3404000a ori r4,r0,0x000a            ;   set Base EXP to 10I think you need to change the value at address 0x0018d64b from 0x0a to whatever you want the base experience to be. Look up that address in the pSX 1.13 memory viewer to verify. You might need to put an 8 in front of that address too, and an 0x in front of that if you try to Ctrl + g to it.

Silverbags

Hmmm...though I do have a vague understanding of what you're saying, it's pretty over my head. What you're describing does sound like a probable solution. I might dig into it and see if I can figure it out. I'm not really a programmer though.

Thanks
  • Discord username: Silverbags

nitwit

August 31, 2022, 01:39:36 pm #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:48:26 am by nitwit
Run FFTOrgASM  and use the search bar to look for the text "experience" or "exp". If that doesn't bring up an asm hack that gives you what you want, then try the gameshark codes here.

Might give everyone the Gained Exp Up effect, test first
8018d6bc 0000
8018d6be 0000

Might be base experience, try setting it to a very distinct value like 41
3018d64b 00??

Post your results and I'll hold your hand while you figure this out.

Super Saiyan Eevee

Im a super cheater. I used a program called FFTastic to just put my people at level 99 with decent stats, nothing too OP, and also had all jobs set to level 8 with max JP and max equipment. I just wanted to enjoy the story without my OCD getting in the way for a change lol.
  • Discord username: Super Saiyan Eevee