• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Could use some feedback on a rescript I'm working on.

Started by ParryPupPup, June 17, 2021, 06:16:29 am

ParryPupPup

June 17, 2021, 06:16:29 am Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:32:13 pm by ParryPupPup
Loved this game since I was a kid, and I love that we have been gifted the tools necessary to mod this game's to our heart's content.
Well, as a sucker for this game, I once bought the War of the Lions for the PSP years ago before it was lost somewhere to annals of time and being moved from place to place for years.

So, I thought "I wanna relive the magic of this story and this gameplay", but the War of the Lions script is... so god damned flowery and overstuffed with Purple Prose I have - no joke - spent ten minutes trying to dissect what the bloody hell they're saying. I should not require a thesaurus and a dictionary pulled up just to understand a sentence.

So then it occurred to me, "Do it yourself. Rewrite it yourself. Be the writer you wish you could have been on the script team." So for the past half-year or so, give or take a couple of months, I have started rewriting and rescripting a lot of the PSX's scripts and dialogue.
Trying to modernize it (Really? Knave? God it hurts to read some lines) while changing a few things in terms of story beats but keeping the core story intact while also trying to give a little more flavor to the characters. (I.E Tietra being the nagging, annoying little sister to Ramza by stealing his art supplies to blackmail him into watching the sunset with her)

For example:
Algus: If I were you, I wouldn't put much faith in Dycedarg being delirious.
Ramza: What do you mean?
Algus: If it were me, I'd let the lamb be sacrificed.
Delita: What did you say?!
Algus: Too poetic? Sorry, I forgot commoners are illiterate. I said she's not worth saving!
Delita: Fuck you!!!
[Slugs Algus' face]

And from the same scene
Algus: They're at Fort Ziekden. I heard it from your brother.   
The fortress is heavily guarded from the front, naturally and artificially.
Your only option is a rear assault. Best of luck with your little lamb.
God, I fear for your bloodline if you decide to sire a child with her.
[Ramza blasts him with a non-lethal amount of lightning before throwing him out]

And some minor things like Gustav Margriff being impaled not having an interrupting "U...ugh" there's a brief pause but he falls to the ground sooner, and during the scene where Delita strikes down Chancellor Gelwan, there's less time spent before he draws his sword and swings it before Gelwan pleas for his life and then tries running. I felt, personally, that little change gives a more grim light to Delita and how ruthless he's becoming to the nobility.
Other changes include introducing the mystery of the Zodiac Stones a bit earlier with Delita being saved by the Sagittarius Stone that Tietra had on her person (the how that comes to be I'll have to think of later) but also changing the Stone's backstory to help with the narrative I'm writing of the Stone fleeing Delita after being able to save him from Tietra's selfless wish for his safety (The Stones have different powers, they're not all universally able to revive the dead) to spare him being seduced by the Lucavi Demon locked within the Stone.

I'd love some feedback though, I've gotten up to the battle with Zalmo in Lesalia, nothing's finalized, it's all up to change with new knowledge of how to work the dialogue boxes and some of the scripting, but I'd love to hear some feedback.

If you want to check it out for yourself, I have two videos of a rougher draft of some scenes up to about the Algus expulsion from the Beoulve Manor
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSSHMWBS_J1oFJNaY4FyaUw here.

And if you want to check out the scenes up to Lesalia's fight in chapter 2, you can insert the EVT to an ISO patched with The Lion War patch by Elric and his team. Without their considerable work consolidating events like they did, I'd have to have worked a lot harder and I cannot thank them enough for letting us use The Lion War as a base patch.

TLW Credits
===============================================================================================================
TLW Staff
----------

Elric
Attack.out Rebuild, Spreadsheet & GUI
Worldmap Rebuild
WotL Event Additions & Fixes
Mod Organization
Vanilla Event Fixes and Jumps
ASM Setup, Application & Testing
Sound Novel fixes and Implimentation
Bugtesting

RavenofRazgriz
Initial Attack.out Rebuild, Spreadsheet & GUI
Initial Worldmap Rebuild
Sidequest Changes & WotL Implimentation

Xifanie
ASM - Altima Teleport
ASM - Event Instruction Upgrade Hack
ASM - Extra Abilities Effects Hack
ASM - Map 120 Edits
ASM - Unit Restriction & Guests in Randoms
New Game Plus Work (not yet complete)
Squashing some bugs

Angel/Toshiko
De-WotLize Dialogue in WotL Event Ports
Translated & Fixed Sound Novel Images
Title Screen & Lead-in frames from WotL Movie to Title Screen

Pride
ASM - Rumor Edits
ASM - ARH Lite - TLW Edition

Choto
ASM - 1E4 & 1E5 Become Adeptness & Sturdy
ASM - Barrage & Weapon Strike Rewrite
ASM - Extra Generic Class

Glain
ASM - Bravestory Fix
ASM - UWEntries

Twinees
Sprite Fixes & Edits

Valkirst
New Ashley Riot Sprite

FFMaster
WotL Opening & Intro Movie Ports

Nyzer
WotL Event Fixes

Celdia
Allowing merge of her ISIA patch for Consolidation.

Retrotypes
Several event fixes.

Bugtesters
Nyzer
HebrewToYou
Blue
Ansehelm
NinjaWeazel
Retrotypes
FFTTLW - ReScripted.zip
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Puppy