• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:12 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Best GBA emulator and LCD colors (Solved)

Started by rrs_kai, June 27, 2020, 10:02:24 am

rrs_kai

June 27, 2020, 10:02:24 am Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:36:30 pm by rrs_kai Reason: Topic Solved
I've used the popular MGBA and VBAM, and my system slows down on prolonged usage. So, I always find myself going back to the "outdated" VBA 1.7.2 because it's very light on resources.

MGBA - I like the color filter the emulates an actual LCD

VBAM - The xBrz filter is interesting

VBA has an option for gameboy colors, but it never works.
Is there any way to get LCD colors to work on VBA?
Or is there any other emulator that is both light on resources and has the LCD color filter?

Edit: The topic is solved, but the icon isn't showing.
Edit2 : Its still a bit jittery.
Edit3 : Bangaa spell Holy no longer lags in the latest version of mGBA 0.9.1
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Leonarth

I haven't experienced performance issues with mGBA, are you sure you are on the latest version?
VBA and VBAM are very inaccurate so I can't recommend them.

It's hard to help because I'm not really sure what you mean by LCD colors, most emulators default to displaying actual color values without correcting them, which is already what they would look like on an LCD, I'm not aware of any emulator doing the opposite (correcting so they appear as they did on the original GBA) by default.

As for the "Gameboy colors" options, I'm pretty sure that's for GBC compatible GB games, so you can choose to play them on greyscale instead.

rrs_kai

Quote from: Leonarth on June 27, 2020, 11:07:56 amI haven't experienced performance issues with mGBA, are you sure you are on the latest version?
VBA and VBAM are very inaccurate so I can't recommend them.
Yes, I got the new version 0.8.2. The video starts fine at 60 fps but starts to show jitters if prolonged (similar to enabling frameskip).
I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions, but the video does not seem to be perfect 60 fps.

I wonder if this is because of "Sync to Video or Audio"; I use it to keep the fps from going too high.
Is there any recommended setting??

I've read on many forums, PC and mobile, that mGBA and the mGBA core are THE best.

Quote from: Leonarth on June 27, 2020, 11:07:56 amAs for the "Gameboy colors" options, I'm pretty sure that's for GBC compatible GB games, so you can choose to play them on greyscale instead.
Oh okay, I misunderstood.

Leonarth

The GBA does not run at 60fps, it runs at aprox 59.73, so if your screen shows "59.7" that's normal.

Also keep in mind that as mGBA is highly accurate, it also highly accurately replicates lag frames, if the game would lag on a GBA, it will lag on mGBA.

If you tick Sync Video AND Sync Audio the emulator will work flawlessly... as long as there are no lag frames. I recommend you only set Sync to Audio. If the game still stutters, try playing with the audio settings, for me the Qt Multimedia audio driver makes any game run perfectly, buffer and sample rate I set to max.

rrs_kai

June 27, 2020, 04:48:50 pm #4 Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:21:33 am by rrs_kai
Quote from: Leonarth on June 27, 2020, 02:59:58 pmAlso keep in mind that as mGBA is highly accurate, it also highly accurately replicates lag frames, if the game would lag on a GBA, it will lag on mGBA.
wow

Quote from: Leonarth on June 27, 2020, 02:59:58 pmIf the game still stutters, try playing with the audio settings, for me the Qt Multimedia audio driver makes any game run perfectly, buffer and sample rate I set to max.
I set the audio to SDL on the lowest setting and the performance has been smooth-ish.
This mostly did it for me, the slowdown isn't as frequent.

Edit: Its still a bit jittery.

rrs_kai

July 31, 2020, 11:13:58 pm #5 Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:31:54 am by rrs_kai
I found that the Bishop's skill: Holy is bugged on mGBA, even in vanilla. It freezes the game for a few seconds and then the animation continues.
Edit: corrected spelling

ExL

@rrs_kai you meant mGBA? Report there - https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/issues
Usually, if it's not something huge stuff gets fixed fast. Would be a good idea to include savestate before issue.

endrift

Oh, I should look into that. I might have to dump my save off my cartridge though; I don't think I have a late game save handy.

Leonarth

Party unit data starts at 0x2000080 and each entry is 0x108 bytes long, the AP earnt for each ability starts at 0x40 and Holy is the Bangaa race's 0x39th ability, so if you want to unlock Holy fast you can go to
0x2000080+0x40+0x39+(0x108*unit number)And set it to 0xE4 to master it.

You'll probably need some MP as well unless you get an advanced save, current and max MP are shorts at
0x2000080+0x1C+(0x108*unit number)
Or you can just use the save I attached. The Dragoon has Holy in the first save file.
The save is originally for the european version but as far as I can tell it works on USA just fine as well.

rrs_kai

August 16, 2021, 12:55:46 am #9 Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:34:38 pm by rrs_kai
The Bangaa spell Holy no longer lags in the latest version of mGBA 0.9.1
Just replying to close the thread

endrift

Good to know, now I can close this tab I left open to eventually remember to look into it (but never did oops).