• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:14:13 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Question about hex editing

Started by dck, January 22, 2016, 11:47:15 pm

dck

January 22, 2016, 11:47:15 pm Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:04:21 am by dck
Hi, I would like to know how to access information when hex editing in a format similar to what this post http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11036.msg208894#msg208894 displays. This seems like it would be terribly useful for making changes in the game, yet just opening the ROM on WindHex returns basically gibberish so I feel I must be missing some obvious step.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Kaijyuu

The tool you're looking for is probably called a disassembler (at least that's what I call such a thing in SNES hacking). I don't know much about tools for other systems so I can't point you to one.

Computers obviously work with raw binary data which is what you see in a hex editor. Assembly code is in string format, and needs to be assembled into opcodes and operands by a tool. A tool that converts it all back to assembly would "disassemble" it.

I know I ain't much help but I hope it at least points you in the right direction.
  • Modding version: PSX

dck

Nice, I've been looking around some and I've found a few tools that might do the trick. I don't have experience with this but since at the moment the only thing I want is to change the fixed AP gain Darthatron has already identified, hopefully I can wrap my head around it just fine.
Thanks for the heads up btw, it's hard to find specific stuff like this without knowing what it's even called.

dck

Yay it actually worked! http://a.pomf.hummingbird.moe/sixsoo.png
The AIO was a great starting tool and the nightmare modules are very complete, but this really does change everything!

EDIT: whoops I thought I pressed edit :P