• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:14:44 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ATTACK.OUT Editor tutorial?

Started by Jon, September 19, 2010, 02:46:40 pm

Jon

I searched and searched and searched, like a frantic dog looking for water after coming out of the sun, maybe I just am blind and skipped over it, or it doesn't exist, but where is the tutorial for the ATTACK.OUT editor? Am I going crazy?! I can't find it! Please help me! Otherwise I'll never figure out how to use this program! Any help would be sweet!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Cheetah

The wiki has lots of info on ATTACK.OUT on the whole.
Current Projects:

Jon

I didn't think of the wiki, thanks Cheetah. I found Attack.out battle maps and a whole bunch of code for each map, but I still can't find a tutorial that explains how to use the ATTACK.OUT editor. I have the ATTACK.OUT (from the game extracted through CDMage) in the same folder as the editor, but I don't understand too much. The first event I am guessing is 000 Chapel of Orbonne Monestry, where you see the intro? I see "song" and the first is called "Pray". Also the ENTD is set to 100 and when I switch events like from 000 to 006 for example I see ENTD 188 and Military Academy's Auditorium. There is a weather strength, if I change this can I get it to like rain in the monestry for example, which would be just weird? What does Next Scen. and Event Script do? Actually, what do all these things do? See, I definitely need a tutorial, I am asking way to many questions. Could you please gimme a link?

Edit: I figured out how to change the music, which is cool. But can someone tell me what number the event is for the very opening where Azlazam is telling you the whole history thing and you have to name Ramza/give him a Bday? Then I could figure out what song is what quicker. Thanks!

Jon

Okay, I figured out how most things work on my own with just testing. I like how you can change the maps and music especially. Why start in Orbonne when you can start on the Warjilis Ship? How many units are allowed in 1 battle, and please tell me the amount also allowed per side. Can you have like 1 vs 10 or something or will the game crash? Or 10 vs 10??

Xifanie

16 units total, and 9 spritesheet limit. Why would there be a team amount restriction?
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jon

Thanks Zodiac. 16 units, wow that is crazy. 8 per side or maybe for fun 1 against 15 weaker units or 4 against 12 or something. What do you mean by a 9 spritesheet limit? Does that mean I have to use at least 9 similar sprites (Squire normal and enemy) or what? Thanks again.

philsov

I'm pretty sure the max friendly units is 5.  Even with double formation screens at 5 a pop, once I hit 5 between them the battle prompt went off.

edit:  yes, 9 similar sprites.  Different palettes are fine, but base sprites are not.  This is why at zirekile all the enemy generics are a single class.  Ramza + Gaf + Agrias + Delita + Ovelia + 3 friendlies is only room for 1 more class.  In fact, this is why most battles are only against 4 different enemy classes.  but, yes, crazy stuff like 1 on 15 is possible.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Jon

Lol, yes! If I make a Legend of Zelda patch or what I am currently working on, Castlevania, it would be great to get some variety of enemies in there. 1 on 15 would be tough, but some of the enemies should probably be 1 hitable and the main character should probably have double speed or something. Thanks a lot Philsov and Zodiac, this info will help me a great deal in the future :mrgreen:

Zozma

I dont know... i had problems where when i had too many units (not breaking the sprite limit) and the game just looped as if the ai couldnt handle that many character turns
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Whats a good amount then? Like I mean a safe amount so nothing like looping occurs? Maybe 9 at most or something??