• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

First portrait attempt - please help

Started by Mimi, August 30, 2010, 07:52:22 am

Jon

Well, does Mimi want the portrait for this site or for in game? I could in theory get it down to 16 colors and change the hair color, but its up to her. If its just for the site, you could have as many colors as you wish I guess. Like green eyes, brown hair, red coat, whatever.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Mimi

Wow! You did a really good job on that portrait Jon. I'm kinda sad that I can't use it in my hack though. Would you allow me to use it if I gave you credit for it? I think it is far better than any portrait I could draw. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. :-)

PS: I hope you do not mind if I make the eyes blue again since I have blue eyes.

Jon

This is a new version, 16 colors which you can use in game, but to use on the site you will need to double its size (64x96 I believe) and flip the canvas horizontal. Tell me if you have problems doing this. And yes, you may use this for whatever you want Mimi.

Mimi

Thanks Jon! I really appreciate all your help.

Jon

My pleasure! I just wanted to practice portraits. Here, I made this and would be sorta honored if you use it as your avatar on here:

Mimi

Okay. I changed it back. I just applied my pallet because my sprite will be wearing blue.
You did a really good job, Jon. I think your portraits are great.

mav

Make the face and clothes more unique and you'll have a winner. Good work, Jon.

Zozma

one suggestion, copy what they did with clouds eyes with a few background colored pixel being used to blend it (that shade of blue) into the skin tone that its bumping into

actually, i did the same thing with the green eyes in my avatar if u look closely
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

I was looking at Kletian when doing this, but I drew it all free hand because his robe is way to big for Alma's slender body:

For the game

For this site

Last time with the previous portrait, I missed reading the part that she wants blue clothes  XD
As for the facial gesture, I think Mimi can make a smile or sad face or whatever she wants on her own. I took your advice Z, I made the eyes similar to your avatars, just added another blue, the dark teal green from the background would make this avatars eyes sorta pop, like when you imagine those cute chibi cats looking adorable.

Mimi

The clothes look great. it looks just like the jacket in the picture. I also like how you colored the eyes.
It looks awesome! You did a really good job Jon. Thank you so much.

Now, I'll have to get started on the sprite. I'll probably look at every tutorial on spriting because I've never
made a sprite before. BTW I'll probably leave the face like it is. It looks good and I prefer portraits that
have a straight face.

Jon

:mrgreen: No problem, I just wanted to practice portraits.

mav

I'd suggest desaturating the blues a little bit. And add a different expression to the face--straight faces are fine, but she shouldn't be an Alma clone.

Zozma

sigh, i told them about the blue but they didnt listen lol

Zozma

now look, even with the oversaturated blue... its still

Jon

Did you mean I should use Cloud's blues, Zozma? I can do that if thats whatcha meant.

Jon

Use these, Rofel blues in different variations:

Mimi

Thanks Jon! I chose the first one for my avatar. You did a really good job. I really appreciate your help.

Jon

No problem. Today I seem to have been doing a lot of portraits for practice, like I updated my own avatar as well. Are you going to make a sprite based off of the Alma sprite sheet as well?

Mimi

Yes. I've been trying to modify the Alma sprite but it has been slow going.  I recolored her shirt a light blue and her skirt a medium blue. I have to confess. It's going to take me awhile. I have never made a sprite before.

BTW: You're avitar looks great. Is that some kind of new ninja that you're working on?