• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:16:07 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Solved] Possible to condense duplicate NPC job listings 35 through 38? (WotL)

Started by bee, April 29, 2022, 06:12:56 pm

bee

April 29, 2022, 06:12:56 pm Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:14:12 am by Jumza Reason: added game version to thread title
In WotL, there are duplicate job entries in slots:

35. Chemist
36. White Mage
37. Black Mage
38. Mystic

Aside from an innate immunity to "traitor", they appear to be nearly identical to their normal entries at 4B, 4F, 50, 55. Unlike their "undead" variants, these duplicates each vary only in a minor tweak or two to C-EV and HP Multiplier (+/- 5), and a manual spot-check turned up only three references to them (ENTD's 00A, 00C, 02E) and all were in unnamed and (seemingly?) unused encounters.

Anyway, I was wondering if a consolidation patch might not free up some job slots for folks to use in patches? If not, I'd love to know if there's something I'm missing here. Thanks!

---

*EDIT* - In reading further, and I am beginning to suspect that is that even were this an option, it wouldn't actually provide more player-usable slots, due to the existing hard limit on job-wheel space. That probably limits the usefulness of consolidating the slots, but I figure it can't hurt to ask, regardless.
  • Modding version: PSX
🐝

3lric

Some of these are used for 3 different battles in the game (Lake, Yuguo, Zalera 2) the rest are used in the tutorial to make them work in a specific way.

bee

Oh! Thanks for the answer; I take it there is more to them than shows up in the patcher? As far as I could tell, they were only different in those small hit point and evasion totals, as well as immunity to being invited.
🐝

Nyzer

There are better things to consolidate, and there are other limits you'd come up against instead anyway. The job wheel space is one, and there's also the lack of UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE slots for Formation sprites, which do not use the existing spritesheets.

If you were modding PSX, we could tell you that you could feel free to scrap those jobs and reuse them for other things, since the extra functionality they have can be emulated with Special Snowflakes or upgraded event editing, but for PSP, it may not be worth your while.

But nothing's stopping you from breaking them to find out if it does or doesn't break anything else!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bee

Hahaha, ok that's fair. Thanks for humoring me though, I appreciate the insights. 😅 I'll mark this as answered

*EDIT* um... phooey. I can't seem to figure out how to mark a question as answered?

*EDIT* oh, found the section in the guidelines post! Jumza, would you be so kind as to close this thread?
🐝