• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFTA Randomizer by FGKeiji and TojiKitten

Started by FGKeiji, October 14, 2021, 07:47:15 pm

FGKeiji

Hello, I'm FGKeiji from the FFTA speed running community. Some of the runners suggested it would be cool if we had a way to remove the grind it takes to beat the game and also interact with more of the jobs, missions, abilities, and items in the game that we don't get to use in our regular categories. TojiKitten and I created a randomizer that in the 3.0 version allows for a new story route to reach Royal Valley. You can find the 3.0 release at https://github.com/TojiKitten/FFTA-randomizer/releases/tag/v3.0.0. It wouldn't have been possible to make this without AIO by Darthatron and the engine hacks of Leonarth. A huge thank you to them, to these forums, and FFTA Modding discord for being a wealth of knowledge!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

grymoire

December 13, 2021, 01:26:29 am #1 Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:49:08 pm by grymoire
Hey this is really cool, couple things;

When choosing randomize enemy jobs, what is a reasonable % value for abilities learned? i.e 50% OP in the beginning, and then easy later on? (i went with 50% and the tutorial bangaas immediately smoked us)

Might be a bug, if I choose normal class unlocking, all jobs are unlocked anyways regardless.

Also, would be fun if there was a way to randomly distribute all the equipment in the game as mission rewards, then you could disable the store completely and play through using what you get.

FGKeiji

December 27, 2021, 03:01:58 pm #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:50:13 pm by FGKeiji
I appreciate the feedback. Let me take a look into that bug, I have an idea what might be going on. If it gets fixed, I'll be sure to call it out in the patch notes for the next stable release.

---
Edit: I wasn't able to recreate the "All Jobs Unlocked in Normal Settings" bug. Could you provide me with:
In the Jobs tab, the option for Job Requirements
In the Abilities tab, the option for Abilities
In the Party tab, the Abilities Mastery Type and Count for the unit having the issue

Thank you!
---

I like the idea for the distributed items as fixed rewards. It seems like the best way to go about it would be replacing random rewards from a list of all items. Definitely sounds doable.

For the enemy abilities, I've found 30% - 50% shuffled abilities is a pretty nice experience. It leads to situations where not every unit of a job does the same thing. 50% - 75% might be better if you prefer some but not all enemies to have R and S abilities. For the Bangaa fight, you can currently set "Skip Tutorial", to avoid that fight specifically. It would also skip some story cutscenes as a side effect. Hope all this helps!

FGKeiji

blaide

January 07, 2022, 07:38:04 am #4 Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:03:20 am by blaide
Hi FGKeiji :)

Just wanted to say what an amazing job you did on this Randomizer with TojiKitten, it's brilliant. FFTA has been one of my all time favourite games for a long time and always wanted something to switch it up a little and I am really enjoying my current playthrough with it, I just had a few questions if that was okay.

Would more customization be available in the future for the enemy's abilities learned and the enemy job randomizer, it would be great to have more options for this, everytime I have tried using the "Randomize Enemy Jobs" the enemies have ended up with the most OP weapons, making the early stages almost impossible, so I have had to play without using this feature which is a shame as I find it amazing to see all default enemies with different jobs and completely changes the game.

Would it be possible to include every skill from the game in the randomized skill pool, skills like judge sword, omega, rend and Blaster that would be super interesting.

I'm unsure if the clan recruitment has been randomized but that could be interesting if the special sets like Cid, Babus, Shara and Ritz were all in the pool and no special requirements had to be met and could potentially appear on recruitment request whenever.

Unsure if this would be possible but would you be able to have an option to randomize the monsters for example a bomb being replaced by an icedrake or a fairy being replaced by a Malboro, this would be so much fun and a different challenge especially if they all had different skills also.

Also having used the "Randomize Enemy Jobs" function a few times, all the monsters seemed to have lost all their skills strangely, unsure if this is just a bug for me or a known issue.

Sorry I have rambled on there :), sending a BIG thank you to you both for creating something amazing for one of the best games ever!

Kindest Regards
Blaide

FGKeiji

Thanks for all the feedback Blaide! Let me make sure I've summarized all of your suggestions first so I don't miss any.
  • Granular options for randomizing skills and equipment, such that the difficulty ramps up more evenly
  • Abilities from the non-playable jobs are added to the randomized pool
  • Add special units to the recruitment pool
  • Maybe special units can be selected from the randomizer?
  • Randomize monsters in missions for other monsters

I'll add these to the idea board, so keep an eye out if they make it for the next update. In the meantime for the difficulty scaling, my recommendations would be to either start the game from a higher level (25 might be okay and still give you some level ups to work with), use the option to randomize party equipment, or start with more money with a randomized shop. Hopefully that will help you get out of the first few missions and on your way! Thanks again for your feedback and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

blaide

Thank you so much for the brilliant response, you summarized a lot better than i could have  :lol:

Difficulty ramps up more evenly- Great suggestion, perhaps have options like "Easy" "Medium" and "Hard", Easy being very unlikely that enemies will have extremly powerful weapons early on and Hard being very likely for enemies to have strong weapons early on.

Abilities from the non-playable jobs are added to the randomized pool- I dont think anything more needs to be said about this :)

Add special units to the recruitment pool- With how difficult the game can get with certain options having the special units added without having a list of requirements to meet could prove helpful :)

Maybe special units can be selected from the randomizer?- That could be quite cool if when Randomizing the party there was a special option for things like "Ritz" and "Shara" however I assume with this there levels would automatically be ajusted to the level they are recurited which could cause issues with balancing.

Randomize monsters in missions for other monsters- I would love it, if this could be an option and could be randommized into anything for example going into the bomb mission and the bombs have all been turned into Fighters, would make the game a lot less predicatable.

Thank you for your suggestions, luckily I've found a pretty decent seed currently and the difficult seems to be just right!

I will let you know if I think of anything else.

Thanks Again

Blaide