• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:55:48 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Text editing by redirection, possible?

Started by Soahd, August 01, 2008, 01:12:27 pm

Soahd

August 01, 2008, 01:12:27 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Soahd
Would it be possible to edit the text by using a pointer to load to the text somewhere else because using bigger text seems to mess up the text in game.For exemple i'd like to change "fire" to something like "Scorching" since "fire" is smaller the text in game would mess up but if we change "fire" to a pointer who would load the text somewhere else the pointer should be smaller then "fire" it could be place and it would load a bigger text somewhere else.

I thought of that but i'm not a good enough to do it.Could someone try?

LastingDawn

August 01, 2008, 01:17:04 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
The only difficulties in text come from World.bin, everything else appears to be pointers, of some sort...
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Soahd

August 01, 2008, 02:03:52 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Soahd
So text other then in world.bin can be bigger?

Vanya

August 01, 2008, 05:54:31 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Isn't that we don't know where the pointers are? From what I understand the game only uses pointer for blocks of text and uses a special value to separate entries in each block.

For example, when I was editing the job names it has them listed 'Squire#Squire#Squire#Squire#Arc Knight# etc'.

I changed them to 'Warrior#Mercenary#Riskbreaker#Warrior#Paladin# etc'.
I just made sure to make other changes to allow for the larger names and made sure that I had the same number of #'s.

This, mind you, was all hex editing in world.bin & battle.bin. All the other files that have job names were done with tactext.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Tersius

August 01, 2008, 06:08:34 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tersius
Quote from: "Vanya"From what I understand the game only uses pointer for blocks of text and uses a special value to separate entries in each block.

For example, when I was editing the job names it has them listed 'Squire#Squire#Squire#Squire#Arc Knight# etc'..

So THAT is why we can make changes and count the total difference in characters as opposed to the difference between each entry.  Knowing they don't use pointers for every entry (like I assumed they did), clears up a lot of confusion for me.