• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:48:25 pm

ASM Request

Started by 3lric, November 12, 2011, 07:49:42 pm

3lric

I couldn't find an ASM request thread other than one that hasn't been used in like 2 years, anyway there are 2 ASM's i would like to request if anyone has the time

1. Get rid of Name & Birthday screens while keeping the intro untouched

2. Modify whatever makes the game end when Ramza dies (even in random battles) to do the same for a certain group of unique characters, if anyone could do this let me know and I will tell you which uniques I need this for.
  • Modding version: PSX

Pickle Girl Fanboy

This belongs in Help.

Quote1. Get rid of Name & Birthday screens while keeping the intro untouched

I think this is event editing.  Don't know for sure.

Quote2. Modify whatever makes the game end when Ramza dies (even in random battles) to do the same for a certain group of unique characters, if anyone could do this let me know and I will tell you which uniques I need this for.

I know that the game checks if unit ID 1 - which is always Ramza - when determining game over conditions.  Shouldn't be that hard for any ASM hackers to change that to another number (provided they already know where it is), but changing it to a group of unit IDs, or anything else, could be painful.

3lric

November 12, 2011, 08:47:16 pm #2 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:49:50 pm by Elric42
Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on November 12, 2011, 08:41:14 pm
This belongs in Help.
I think this is event editing.  Don't know for sure.
I know that the game checks if unit ID 1 - which is always Ramza - when determining game over conditions.  Shouldn't be that hard for any ASM hackers to change that to another number (provided they already know where it is), but changing it to a group of unit IDs, or anything else, could be painful.

I wasn't sure since i noticed the old ASM request topic was somewhere in here. EDIT: I was wrong it was actually in Final Fantasy Tactics Hacking

I don't think the Name and Birthday at the very beginning of the game, where you choose your name and bday has to do with event editing, But if I'm wrong that would be great since i could do it myself then lol

As for the other, yea i didn't think it would be easy, but still hoping someone can make it happen since I've run out of alternatives to get around it lol

Cheetah

November 13, 2011, 12:31:19 am #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:31:44 am by Cheetah
The intro stuff is not related to events at all.

For a group of AI, I recommend just having them all immortal. Thus the game will only gameover when they are all dead, but they will never crystalize so you will never loose those characters. It makes the game a bit easier, but you can just ration resurrection skills. I'm assuming this is what we will end up doing in the FFVII patch as well.
Current Projects:

3lric

November 13, 2011, 03:22:37 am #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:18:28 am by Elric42
Quote from: Cheetah on November 13, 2011, 12:31:19 am
The intro stuff is not related to events at all.

For a group of AI, I recommend just having them all immortal. Thus the game will only gameover when they are all dead, but they will never crystalize so you will never loose those characters. It makes the game a bit easier, but you can just ration resurrection skills. I'm assuming this is what we will end up doing in the FFVII patch as well.

And i actually thought about this which is definitely a possibility but what about random battles? And then wouldn't i have to actually place every unit that i didn't want to die into ENTD for every battle? This would also make it hard to still use a formation screen and allow players to use generics if they so wish

Cheetah

Can't you make immortal innate to their job?
Current Projects:

RandMuadDib

you could also try to make your unique characters immune to both treasure and crystal, though i don't know how that affects regular people. I've heard that for the undead it triggers a resurrection. I think i also heard that for a regular person it just starts the count over again, but i don't know for sure. And if that were the case i don't know if it would cycle the countdown before triggering the game over when ramza reaches 0.

tl;dr - Try immune to crystal and treasure. it might work.

Edit: i think immortal is only in the entd, its not a status.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

3lric

Quote from: Cheetah on November 13, 2011, 11:07:49 am
Can't you make immortal innate to their job?

I hadn't even thought of that :mrgreen: I've only used FFTP for ENTD's at this point

Quote from: RandMuadDib on November 13, 2011, 11:10:09 am
you could also try to make your unique characters immune to both treasure and crystal, though i don't know how that affects regular people. I've heard that for the undead it triggers a resurrection. I think i also heard that for a regular person it just starts the count over again, but i don't know for sure. And if that were the case i don't know if it would cycle the countdown before triggering the game over when ramza reaches 0.

tl;dr - Try immune to crystal and treasure. it might work.

Edit: i think immortal is only in the entd, its not a status.

I will give this a shot once i get back to that part of my bug report again, I'm not so worried about Ramza if he dies and it game over's then that is fine, but since there are 5 main characters that are important to the games story and flow it would suck to have em die so even if the counter just starts over that will work as a makeshift fix :)

Jumza

I find having the counter start over is better than just tiny stars above thier head because then you know if the game has passed thier turn yet or not, when you pheonix down someone they have slim to nill hp and i always wanted their turn to be pretty close after i revived them rather than waiting a whole other turn cycle.
Of course pheonix down is not the only way to bring people back to life... Just saying
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

OK so one flaw i just thought of with this method, Would it then only work when the character is their main job? and not once said character switches to a generic job? I can't really change all generic jobs to that since no one would ever crystalize or turn into a box then.. tho i suppose i would still win battles.. hmm i guess that would be a interesting way to do things tho

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Elric42 on November 14, 2011, 04:07:48 pm
OK so one flaw i just thought of with this method, Would it then only work when the character is their main job? and not once said character switches to a generic job? I can't really change all generic jobs to that since no one would ever crystalize or turn into a box then.. tho i suppose i would still win battles.. hmm i guess that would be a interesting way to do things tho

Yeah, that's right.  You only have Crystal and Treasure immunity while you're in that job.  Which is why I guess you'd need an asm hack that applies Ramza's game over check to the Unit IDs you select, as well as always flagging all units as immortal in battle (or at least just the units that can cause game over).