• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:25:52 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFVI Hardtype 1.2 (Updated February 3, 2012)

Started by Eternal248, November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am

Eternal

I really need to change the name of the patch. It's not so much a Hardtype as it is a rebalancing.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Alaris

I suppose that's true.  Don't know what to rename it... "FF6 Rebalancing-Type" doesn't roll off the tongue too well.
  • Modding version: PSX

Episode 42 is out! Click above to watch!

Eternal

Once I finish changing the script and adding the superbosses, it'll likely be renamed FFVI Complete or something. Not a big deal right now though.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Dome

Rebalancing a game makes it harder
Not by much, but still harder than the original game

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

dn

A 'hard type' is implied to be a challenge hack, which this really isn't anymore. It's also why calling FFIV "hard type" irritates the hell out of me.

Alaris

February 07, 2012, 12:27:07 am #185 Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:39:53 am by Alaris
Quote from: dn on February 06, 2012, 11:18:42 pm
A 'hard type' is implied to be a challenge hack, which this really isn't anymore. It's also why calling FFIV "hard type" irritates the hell out of me.

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to call it "FFIV Hard Type," since it's not Final Fantasy 4, but Final Fantasy 6 (VI).  ^_^

<ALSO:  FUCK THE FIRE EATER!>

Alaris

For the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY, why the hell is the FireEater so powerful.... jesus Eternal... I find myself wanting to hit you over the head with a sledgehammer...over...and over... and over again.

Eternal

Eternal

Attempting to setup an even more focused spell system for characters so they have even more defined roles. This is what I'm thinking currently:

Locke:
Role: Focuses in protective magic with some offensive magical options for when Stealing and his weak physical attacks can't cut it. Focuses on Speed as opposed to Shadow, who focuses on Evasion.

Skillset: Blink, Bolt 2, Fire, Fire 2, Haste, Libra, Poison, Protect, Reraise, Shell

Shadow:
Role: An offensive debuffer with abilities that cripple enemy accuracy and bolster one's own, focusing on Evasion, as opposed to Locke who focuses on Speed.

Skillset: Blind, Blink, Confuse, Death, Dispel, Poison, Slow, Stop, Warp

Terra:
Role: An offensive mage who focuses almost purely on destructive elemental magic, having a spell ready for almost any enemy's weakness, which can be revealed with her Libra spell.

Skillset: Bolt, Break, Chrono, Cure, Demi, Demi 2, Dispel, Drain, Fire, Fire 2, Fire 3, Flare, Holy, Ice, Libra, Melt, Poison, Protect, Quake, Stop, Ultima, Warp

Celes:
Role: A defensive mage who is more suited to physical combat than Terra. Celes can switch roles at a minute's notice, being able to swap between offense and defense with ease. Despite this, her equipment does not allow her to be a master at either.

Skillset: Bolt, Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Dispel, Esuna, Float, Haste, Holy, Ice, Ice 2, Ice 3, Libra, Meteor, Protect, Raise, Reflect, Regen, Shell, Silence, Whirl

Strago:
Role: A mage with a varied mix of Black and White Magic, although Strago lacks a large spell list like Terra and Celes have, he more than makes up for this with his plentiful and varied Lores.

Skillset: Bolt, Bolt 2, Bolt 3, Cure, Demi, Ice 2, Libra, Meteor, Poison, Regen

Edgar:
Role: A more offensive version of Celes with fewer spells, Edgar's focus is almost purely on defense and keeping himself and his allies alive throughout the battle.

Skillset: Bolt, Cure, Cure 2, Drain, Ice, Osmose, Raise, Shell, Slow

Sabin:
Role: An offensive powerhouse, Sabin is a stark contrast to Edgar, who focuses on defense. Sabin focuses on an all-out offense, using Berserk and Regen to maintain his assault. If an enemy should be resistant to his physical attacks and/or Blitzes, Sabin also has the means to cast mid-level offensive magic.

Skillset: Berserk, Cure, Fire 2, Ice 2, Osmose, Poison, Regen, Sleep

Cyan:
Role: Slaughtering enemies and penetrating their defenses is Cyan's game. Capable of instantly slaying enemies later on with Death, and his ability to remove buffs with Dispel, when coupled with Slow 2, Cyan can easily cripple enemy teams. Slow 2 will ensure that enemies act as slowly as the party.

Skillset: Bolt 2, Death, Dispel, Haste, Protect, Reflect, Regen, Shell, Slow, Slow 2

Mog:
Role: A mixed bag of offense, defense, and status, Mog provides a little bit of it all, but not very good at any of it. Despite this, he is very useful with Esuna and Float, and Whirl and Ice 2 can also provide a powerful offensive option for when Jump won't cut it.

Skillset: Bolt, Confuse, Cure, Esuna, Float, Haste, Ice, Ice 2, Imp, Whirl

Relm:
Role: The party's dedicated healer. What she lacks in AoE and sheer power is more than made up for with Haste 2 and Raise 2. Though she may not seem useful early on, she is well worth investing in for later during the hardest battles in the game.

Skillset: Chrono, Cure 2, Cure 3, Haste, Haste 2, Holy, Raise 2, Reflect, Regen, Sleep

Setzer:
Role: A combination of Locke's Speed and Shadow's debuffing abilities, merely having Setzer in the party will increase the Gil obtained from battle. Setzer's role is an odd one, focusing on non-battle effects, such as extra Gil, extra EXP, and tampering with the encounter/pre-emptive strike rates.

Skillset: Banish, Bio, Blind, Blink, Chrono, Confuse, Death, Haste 2, Libra, Rasp

Thoughts and feedback are needed.

Alaris

Episode 36:
[/spoiler]

QuoteIn response to your latest post, I think I'll reserve judgement until after my playthrough before I make recommendations.

Episode 33:

Episode 33.5:

QuoteAnd finally, I'm back to updating FF6 Hardtype. It's really a good game, and I like the challenge of the patch, even if it is somewhat frustrating sometimes. ^_^

Episode 34:

Episode 35:

Neophyte Ronin

Isn't there a Master's Guide that describes all the changes in the current version?  All we get throughout the thread are snippets and most of them out outdated.

Also, when the fuck did bunnies get Holy as a spell?  Doesn't anyone know when to quit with really old jokes like those?

Eternal

Don't even bother. I'm totally changing things around when I update again.

Neophyte Ronin

Got a date set for that update?  You don't have to answer.  Still, I just started playing the current version very recently and I'm startled by how visceral it is.  It has even me on my toes.  A list of planned changes--when you have time--may be more appropriate than a Master's Guide.

Consider ditching the Bunny fights.  I still think those are just asinine.

Eternal

A lot of the later changes are just poorly balanced, and it's not fun at all for it, I feel. I want to go through, keep the character/magic changes, and moderately update enemies without going as far as they have now. It shouldn't take too long to do, but I want to focus on FFT/FFTA for now.

Neophyte Ronin

Still, there's something new to learn in playing a game--modified or not--that you didn't really notice during the first time around.  Take the Rubber Shoes.  Those are meant specifically to prevent the new Rhinotaurs lurking in the South Figaro vicinity from ruining everyone's Egg McMuffin.  They hit hard, but they can be addressed.  What I never knew was that Runic, Celes' ability, had a peculiar glitch when it addressed an elemental spell she would otherwise absorb with the blade.  When you negate damage from an element, you don't absorb MP.  Anything that could change your status can still be absorbed.

So here I was, fuming during every fight with the Rhinotaurs while grinding with Locke and Celes, utterly pissed that for some reason Eternal248 had to go and gimp Runic in a response to its sudden usefulness given the change in enemy AI.  Then Locke cast Protect and it was absorb, giving her the cost of the spell.  I was relieved.  I guess the absorption occurs only when Celes is actually threatened by the spell.

I'm enjoying the patch that's set up so far, although you're right: the enemies have either too much health or a strange ability to make life utterly miserable as opposed to a fair and true challenge.  It's a case of fake difficulty that I hope isn't replicated in any of your patches for Tactics.

Eternal

Nah, I learnt a lot from FFVI HT. It was my very first patch afterall, so it was bound to kinda suck. :P

Like I said, I plan on one day going through and fixing enemies, so don't worry too much about that.

Alaris

Oh God! Month long delay! Sorry guys, my computer DIED!

Episode 47:

Episode 37:

Episode 38 was lost during recording.

Episode 39 (Special, No Commentary):

Episode 40:

Episode 41:

Episode 42:

Episode 43:

Episode 44:

Episode 45:

Episode 46