• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:47:27 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Raiden (MGS4)

Started by Ventai, February 01, 2011, 04:17:28 pm

Eternal

Could you guys give some input besides calling for Asmo, please?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

mav

Fear not, I'm here.

It's really hard to decipher what I'm looking at on this last sprite. Although the confusion stems from every single part of the sprite, it's all the same problem. You have erratic coloring. And I'm specifically calling this coloring, because it can't be called shading, cause A) these colors aren't the same shades B) they don't look like shadows C) it's a series of dots and pixels. Take a look at an unadulterated male Ninja sprite. You have a clear clothing shape, shades of blue (or whatever the palette you decide to look at), and shadows suggesting a specific light source. Now look at your latest sprite. White pixels, off-white pixels, blue pixels, green pixels. What are we looking at? Is this a design? A pattern? Your light colors are all too close to each other and your dark colors are all too close each other. There's no depth, shadow, or shape anywhere on this sprite. I don't even know what's going on with the head, so it's hard to comment.

Here's what you need to do. Take one base sprite. Cut and paste pieces from other sprites. Clean up the palette. Post previews for us to comment on.

I know that this sounds overly critical, but we want you to make quality sprites. You can do it. Lots of our quality spriters started with works very similar to yours, no joke. They just needed a push in the right direction and suggestions on how to work on their sprites. I hope this post helped ya out, man. Good luck.

jimmyjw88

Basically, mav nailed it all. Choose a base, copy/paste parts from other sprites that meets the requirement of your sprite (eg: Male Ninja Head + Shrine Knight Arm + Wiegraf Leg + Squire Chest), clean up, some necessary adjustments.
Good luck.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Zozma

ok, you want some input besides calling for asmo to do it? well alright, you need to borrow from other sprites, and that includes the color palette, because with the way it is shaded/colored it doesnt look like it belongs in the game at all.

basically, i also agree with Mav here. but it is really bad, I suggest that you borrow color palettes from other sprites untill you are used to FFT shading style.... I'm not trying to offend you but, I have to call it like i see it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Ventai

It's cool Zozma, it's my first sprite, I'm not expecting to be any good at it, lol.
Thanks for the the tips guys. I'll be trying to work on it pretty soon, I've been pretty busy lately.

Zozma

trust me, it works wonders to borrow parts, and palettes. especially arms. it saves so much time and looks quality too.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Ventai

February 09, 2011, 09:40:03 pm #27 Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:32:56 pm by Ventai
Well, I have plenty of free time tonight, so hopefully I'll see some progress.

EDIT: Is there a sheik sprite? If not I'll work on one, when I was experimenting with hairs/head pieces for Raiden I made something that resembles Sheik.

Ventai

UPDATE: Alright, I did a little work, and I couldn't find anything that would have any good hair for Raiden, so I figured I should see how it looks before I get too far. I just put it on Snakes body.

So what do you guys think? I took the suggestion from earlier about the ninja's head.

GeneralStrife

Hey, now you're getting the idea. See now you can tell it's a person, more defined.