• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 03:29:21 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New Gabranth sprite

Started by rafaelterras, January 27, 2010, 12:37:14 pm

rafaelterras

Nay, not thinking of changing this portrait at all... kinda lazy :P
But his eye colors are black, really. I just made it red in my sprite so the eyes could be seen, I'd thought the armor had gotten too dark.

mav

That red is a bit bright for the eyes, but I think using any color other than black is the right decision.

rafaelterras

Finished the first two positions!
[attachment=0:vhxj6nit]gabranthnew002show.PNG[/attachment:vhxj6nit]

Yeah, I thought red would be the best color for his eyes, at least for now...
Hope you like it!

jimmyjw88

I'm sorry but the whole thing is just too messy and flat. The red is not really working either. The colours are too dark. I don't know what's going on with the shoulder, arms, waist plates and legs. The chest is also flat. The helmet is just flat, square and wrong. If I'm not mistaken, I think you use Dark Knight from PSP, right?
Anyway, I'll try come up with a sample to help.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Hmmm, its good you posted it at a good size and also as a .png, however the side view is unfortunetly totally wrong. But don't give up! What you probably wanna do is give the eyes a glowing effect, by adding a lighter red in contrast to the dark one. Also like Jim said, the colors are a bit too dark overall, try looking and immitating maybe the colors of Elmdor and remember that you can have a maximum of 15 colors for the character and then black for the background(which you have already). I think I may post some quick version too to help you get on the right path. However, since this looks a little bit like FF1 Garland, perhaps that is the character I will base my work off of, if you don't mind.

Edit: I know this is the wrong place to ask for this, but as a favor, could someone maybe post 4 .sprs or .pngs of the male and female versions of Dark Knight and Onion Knight from the PSP version? Or send it to my email on here? I don't have that game right now...but thanks in advance if it is not too much trouble :)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

mav

I'll see if I can find those SPRs for you, Jon, but you may want to post that in the Request topic too.

As for the sprite here...it needs a ton of work: the helmet shape is a little too boxy, and it needs a lot more shading to look right. The chest (especially on the angled view) looks like a giant plate. Likewise, you need to work on the angles, the roundness, and the shading. As for the palette, it needs help too, but it's hard to describe; maybe I'll post a mock-up when I get home tonight.

Jon

Thank you Mav and will post in the Request topic.

rafaelterras

Oh, I really don't mind you picking it up as a base, man.
I have those sprites you want right here, but I can't post them now... I'm in a bit of a hurry, you see.
But I can post them like 3 or 4 hours from now, if you'd like to

Jon

No need. Was already posted by Jim in the requested section, but thanks nevertheless.

Kagebunji

This Gabranth doesn't look like him at all. Look at how he should look like, this is Kuraudo attempt.

download/file.php?id=2941
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

jimmyjw88

Yeah, that's a decent Gabranth. Sorry, I haven't got time to make sample.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

RolyTunedIn

japtac's gabranth is a good one too. i would post the link to the page but it's against the rules lol

rafaelterras

Sorry for being away so much time.
Anyway, I retook this project a few days ago, when I saw in a thread whose name I can't recall, a DK Cecil sprite.
I saw it and boom, there was my helmet.
[attachment=0:1xxla7vl]gabranthzoom.PNG[/attachment:1xxla7vl]
[attachment=1:1xxla7vl]gabranthattemptdreialleinf52.PNG[/attachment:1xxla7vl]

I want your opinions about it. Mainly on the colors I should add to it, or if none. (particularly, I feel it is kinda colorless, so I decided to ask your opinions about it.)

jimmyjw88

I suggest using Pieke's colour or other sprites that have silver; well, according to the reference picture.

Kagebunji

Give him black cape and make that red symbol on his back, then use those colors to make him more colorful
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

Get rid of that green, pick better shades of gray, and add more shading to the cape. His horns look really strange and different on a lot of the poses too. Keep it up though, guy.

rafaelterras

OK, I'll be doing those tonight probably.
By the way, I have a little request for you good portrait makers out there. Apparently, that Gabranth portrait I posted earlier in this topic has too many colors (if my memory fails me not, about 80). And so, since I really won't have time to take those many colors out of it, I'm asking this tiny favor to those who would like to see my attempt completed. Thanks!

mav

If you could post the image, I can probably reduce it for ya. Give me the in-game size, if possible.

rafaelterras

I believe this is the one you mean.
[attachment=0:1fxlkur6]gabrantp.PNG[/attachment:1fxlkur6]
Is it? If it is not, I have a bigger sized one.

mav

Alrighty, here ya go man. 16 colors. It's in PNG form right now, but you can just rotate it, import the palette, and copy it over in GraphicsGale.