• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Need help with spriting, specifically palettes and portraits

Started by DarrelShark, January 11, 2009, 06:06:50 am

DarrelShark

January 11, 2009, 06:06:50 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarrelShark
In working with palettes, I understand that you need to copy a portrait to a new graphic, rotate it and convert the palette. This is the part which confuses me.

Using Photoshop, in the menu, Image > Mode > Color table I see palettes can be easily managed. My question is, how do I use this to make a portrait look as it does in the game? I also have SnesPal downloaded, and if someone could provide directions on how to do this using that tool, it would help just as much.

zee cynical battle dict

January 14, 2009, 05:06:51 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by zee cynical battle dict
Place the image in the bmp file where it belongs, obviously the colors will change because you will be working with the actual sprite palette, but ignore this for now. Now go edit the palette again, you should see 16 columns, each corresponding to a sprite palette and a portrait palette. The first eight rows correspond to the palettes of the sprite, and the ninth through sixteenth rows correspond to the portrait palettes. Row 1 sprite palette corresponds to Row 9 portrait palette, Row 2 corresponds to Row 10, etc...just import your portrait palette into row 9 to correspond to row 1. Hope this helps!