• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:20 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Kivutar

QuoteBy the way, will your game be available for MAC ?

I heard that panda3d runs fine on Mac. And there is a runtime for firefox, ie and safari too. But I never tested it.
I'd love to be able to play this or flashtics on an ipad or on a wii. Making a console game is such a child dream.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

Kivutar

I updated the first post with a video showing the first steps of online gaming in tethical. The worst is over now.
I plan to add next the attack action, so the battle can come to an end. Then I will polish the code and the gameplay, in order to get some contributors.

Kivutar

Added a new video showing progress in BGM, sound effects and GUI.

Eternal

Very nice progress! It's exciting to see it all coming together! :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Atma

I'm definitely stoked for the potential of this project and all like it. 
@Kivutar 
QuoteFor now I use something not efficient like this https://github.com/Kivutar/tethical/blob/master/client/textures/sprites/misty.png because my sprite class does not handle flipping yet. Idealy I would use spritesheets exported by ShiShi.

there is actually one very crucial benefit to NOT using the original sprite sheets.  Flipping means u'r gonna always have symmetrical character designs, or the obvious mirrored sprites of the old days.  ( eye patces, shields, etc switching sides when u flip). 
i'd imagine it wouldn't be to hard to use the frames from shishi and make a program that could batch convert sprites to whatever layout u want ur sheets to be. 
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Xifanie

Look, this is the difference between Frenchies and Quebecers. Quebecers can't code crap.
I couldn't even finish the event editor.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kivutar

@Atma: very interesting remark. I will keep my actual spritesheet then. Xifanie already made this a script like this to export the spritesheets to bdp's flashtics format. Moding them to fit my format is easy. However, I'm a linux user and I did not spend too much time trying to run ShiShi (wich is .NET based) on linux.

Anyway, thank you all for your words of encouragement. :D

Atma

March 31, 2011, 03:35:37 am #27 Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:51:07 am by Atma
<3  
if ur gonna go and rebuild an engine, may as well give urself more customization.  if u wanted to keep the arms separate or combined per frame doesn't matter much.  Maybe on the size of the sheet, but i think our computers can handle an image file a lil larger than it was 15 odd years ago.  
as for mirroring/flipping, it doesn't let u make a character that isn't symmetrical without it looking a lil dumb.  eye patches, bangs, a feather in a hat, and other things wouldn't be possible otherwise.  makes me think of Street Fighter... Sagat and his eye patch, or more dramatically, Gill from Street Fighter 3.  
it may be a bit more work if u want to do this, but now it's at least possible, and if u are still making a symmetrical character, then it only takes a second to do a quick 'Flip Horizontal'
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Cheetah

This project is coming along amazingly. Great work Kivutar. Make sure to ask if you need help with any resources or anything.

I feel that an image for like "Enemy Turn" and "Player Turn" would be helpful when the different teams switch.

Also why are the characters moving so slowly?
Current Projects:

Kivutar

Hi Cheetah! Welcome back.

QuoteMake sure to ask if you need help with any resources or anything.

I heard you like to sketch maps. Or is it somebody else? I don't remember.
It would be helpfull to have more than one map for when I will code jumps.
If some people are willing to modelize map, or to texture a map, I can record a video tutorial showing how to create maps for tethical.

QuoteI feel that an image for like "Enemy Turn" and "Player Turn" would be helpful when the different teams switch.

I totaly agree. If I recall correctly, there is an animation like this in WotL PVP. I can't find it on youtube.

I am also looking for the active tile texture. The blue animated one. If anybody can find it in the ISO, I'd like to have it please.

QuoteAlso why are the characters moving so slowly?

Fixed https://github.com/Kivutar/tethical/commits/master :)

Zetaro

just saw this project and hope that it is complete one day. Please keep up the excellent work Kivutar!
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!

Kivutar

Thanks Zetaro.

I uploaded a video showing the recent progress. Teams are still randomly generated, but I removed the 2 hardcoded accounts, and many people can now log in and run parties. The video shows 2 parties running independently on the same server.

Darkholme

Awesome Stuff Kivutar. I like the progress.

Kivutar

Hi Darkholme, I hope we'll manage to add the keyboard support to everything. Have you finaly read the code?

I added the video showing the new animated lobby interface.
You can also see Ramza's sprite at the end.

Darkholme

April 08, 2011, 03:54:14 am #34 Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:56:05 am by Darkholme
Quote from: Kivutar on April 08, 2011, 03:28:20 am
Hi Darkholme, I hope we'll manage to add the keyboard support to everything. Have you finaly read the code?

I added the video showing the new animated lobby interface.
You can also see Ramza's sprite at the end.

Negatory. You know that essay I mentioned I was working on?

It's still kicking my ass; it's 4 days late; and the last day I can hand it in and still get a mark is sunday. (And it's worth 40% of the class mark). Heh. It's been brutal. But one way or another; I'll be done by monday.

Then I plan to get into things I'm actually interested in (Namely Tethical, Preparing for a summer Tabletop RPG Campaign using a new RPG system I've never tried before, and hopefully having some time to get back into leatherworking finally (since classes end tomorrow).

[edit]
That new menu looks fantastic!

Kivutar

QuoteNegatory. You know that essay I mentioned I was working on?

It's still kicking my ass; it's 4 days late; and the last day I can hand it in and still get a mark is sunday. (And it's worth 40% of the class mark). Heh. It's been brutal. But one way or another; I'll be done by monday.

:mrgreen: This remembers me when I was in school.

I uploaded the new video. But the sound is messed up, there is an offset.

I thought a lot about adding keyboard and joypad support. It's not going to be easy... But adding the helper messages convinced me that playing with a joypad or keyboard is better than mouse.

Kivutar

The new video demonstrates the first steps in displaying character status.

This feature is still incomplete and inconsistant, mostly because of the use of the mouse and its hover state instead of the keyboard.

But strangely it makes the battle look more dynamic.

Adding keyboard support is becoming my first priority.

Cheetah

Still looking amazing. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the characters need to move across the screen a bit faster when they are walking. They are rather slow right now, unless that is due to hardware constraints or something.
Current Projects:

Darkholme

This is starting to be pretty sweet Kiv. I'm going to look at some of the source tomorrow.

Nah. No hardware limitations. He's running it on a PC. it's just a matter of picking the right speeds to move your characters at and the right speeds to play the animations.

MasterGrand

April 14, 2011, 04:59:03 pm #39 Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:03:47 pm by MasterGrand
Please Kivitar keep up work .
Let's be together !!