• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:04 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[OLD] FFT - The Lion War Initial Discussion Thread

Started by 3lric, December 23, 2013, 11:36:50 pm

3lric

Looks amazing. Awesome work Toshiko
  • Modding version: PSX

Angel

Sankyuu~

I'm gonna hold off on redoing the movie for the moment, though. It's my mom's birthday, and I need to get ready before I leave. Should be done tomorrow, if I don't finish it when I get back.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Timbo

I dig the New version. I have several drafts just like it.
  • Discord username: Timbo

3lric

The Eight scenes to merge to get the 16 slots we need back from the tutorial
have been finished (barring a few finishing touches) so now that that is taken
care of we get to do the rearranging process (hopefully) one last time.

Once we finish this we can go back into testing. These scenes will have to be
dealt with in the bravestory as well somehow as the latter of the two events
merged together would obviously no longer play in the bravestory as it no longer
exists in the game as a single event.

3lric

February 02, 2014, 10:16:48 pm #44 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:04:22 pm by Elric
Got the first playthrough done. Now we are onto working on getting New Game + Functioning.

Our current list of things left to do is as follows.

FIX THE FOLLOWING:
-Fix spaceing and translation of Rumors
-Reis and Beowulf are avaliable and deployable in Aliste battle (To be fixed via a hack Xif made)
-Nameless Beowulf and Reis Join at the end of Battle series  (Due to not already having them in formation)
-Meliadoul selectable in battle formation against Kletian  (To be fixed via a hack Xif made)
-Agrias avaliable and deployable in Disorder in the Order battle  (To be fixed via a hack Xif made)
-UNIT + WLDFACE.BIN   + Fix Aliste Line Glitch
-Update ALL the ENTD names in resources to match the Event names. Empty slots after 100 are now actually UNUSED.
-Add Character Bios for Ashley, Balthier, Bremonda, Aliste
-Edit the events viewable in the Bravestory to compensate for what was merged and what was rearranged.
-Finish setting up New Game + once Xif is done with her Event Instruction hack.
-Several other Misc things.

So we are getting there, we had a setback having to rearrange everything several times, but I can now
confirm everything to be working when it comes to the flow of the game itself.

3lric

Still pushing forward, he's a purdy picture explaining what you can expect to see from New Game +

kyozo22

Awesome! One of the many things that vanilla was missing was a decent New Game+ option. One last question from me (even though I think I know the answer...):

There's no way to implement JP scaling for enemy units, is there? Similar to how you can let storyline battlea scale level-wise? Pretty sure that's a no, but thought I'd check it out anyway. Thanks.
  • Modding version: WotL

3lric

February 12, 2014, 09:12:03 pm #47 Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:51:22 pm by Elric
An explanation of what's been going on:

Some new exciting things to mention. We were having some issues as you all can tell by the fact that this is not out yet.
This is because things like the Funeral scene at the end as well as the Delita/Ovelia stabbing scene are hardcoded to their
slots. If you move the funeral, the movie does not play. So no worries, we fixed this and put those specific ones back to
where they should've been.

So we got that working. Next we zeroed out all the variables in the game (to reset everything to where it should be in a normal
new game, minus your chars +lvl/exp/etc)
and linked in the New Game plus event. This works perfectly and appears as shown
in the picture in my previous post. However, when we restarted the game, and got to an actual battle, the elevation display was
glitched and all item images were glitched. Furthermore, upon beating Gariland, the game would immediatly reset, as if you
had just beat the game (or died). I figured, at first, that this was due to the variables. So we remove them little by little to no
avail, finally said "FUCK IT" and removed ALL THE VARIABLES. No change. At this point we were like "WTF". Having worked with
events for quite a while, I know how to jump between them and I knew that Raven didn't screw up his numbers. So then we just
kinda threw the game at the wall for a week or so and did Jot5 stuff.

Today talking with Raven, we decided to do 2 more tests. First we tried to clone the Gariland battle and see if it was an issue
with having an event script jump backward (which thinking about it, makes no sense at all). Well we couldn't get this to work
anyway, so we try to jump instead from the funeral scene, which plays the movie REGARDLESS of your settings as long as the
event is in the correct slot. Well fuck... What do we do now? For test 2, we, clutching at straws, decided to make the original
jump back to Orbonne Monastery. However, this time, we put the New Game + option DIRECTLY after defeating Altima. After
defeating Altima for the 48721397120398th time during this testing, we jump back to Orbonne, see Ovelia pray, go outside
to the battle annnd no glitchy item icons or elevation display, nor does the game derp in any way upon beating Gariland.

So I guess the lesson (from my experience and my own opinion) seems to be that you cannot have a battle after these end
game movies. Square was able to get away with the Delita/Ovelia stab scene since it is an event, you cannot see equipment,
and there is no elevation display. It also seems as if these movies are hardcoded to reset the game upon having an attack.out
setting of GO TO WORLDMAP after viewing these movies. The game will play up until the first time GO TO WORLDMAP is read
and it'll reset immediately. 

Just wanted to give everyone a bit of insight on how even though the thought behind this mod comes off as easy, even simple
things can be very hard to overcome (this is only one of many we've had upon making this mod).

The good news is, we know all this now! So we can move on. Now, for the important stuff:

Where are we at now? WTF is going on?

We are at this point in time finishing up our FINAL Super Compressed reorganization after which
we will only be waiting on Xif's new hack, some final touches to the intro movie to title screen by Toshiko (I think?)
and that SHOULD be just about it.

How does New Game + work?

So of course, due to these mentioned changes, we had to change a little about New Game+ or rather when you
make the choice. Upon defeating Altima (second version) You will be prompted to save. After the save you will
be taken to the New Game+ selection screen (older example picture of this in above post) IF you choose
NO, you will see the rest of the game as normal, the funeral scene, the ending movie, the credits, and the
stabby Ovelia scene, your game will then reset as normal. IF you choose the Yes option, you will be taken to a
set of duplicate events (to avoid the hardcoding) and will still see the scene at the funeral, after which you
will see a onscreen textcrawl summarizing the ending movie, followed by the Ovelia stabby scene. After this scene
you will be prompted to save once more, and you will be at the beginning scene in Orbonne Monastery once again.

(Note: the Ramza in the first battle of the game is NOT your Ramza, you will see your equipment on the Chapter 1
Ramza when you are actually given the Ramza you use throughout the game)

Other special happiness? O_o

So, even though Raven told me all along that this mod was going to be horrible to us and everyone involved in the
"development" /reorganization process. He ended up finding something WONDERFUL. Due to derpy coding on
Squares part we actually DO NOT NEED SETUP EVENTS anymore.

READERS: What does that mean for us, Elric?! Stop talking in riddles!!

Well, sweet readers, this means that you have an extra fucking ~150 event slots to play with, not to mention the fixed
and renamed ENTD list that will come with the Resources.zip included with the mod. There is many unused ENTD's in Vanilla.
Want to add in a couple events? You can do that now. Want to add in a BUTTLOAD of new events? Yeah you can do that too.
Want to add a new sidequest? Sure! Do whatever the hell you want, the base mod will be yours to play with.

(We obviously did not increase the amount of item slots, ability slots, sprite slots, etc. so take this into consideration when adding
new content)

-------------------------------------------------------------

So all in all, things are happening, albeit it took much longer than I originally anticipated, but that is the life of a modder.
As always, thank you all for your patience, and support!

Progress

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Elric on February 12, 2014, 09:12:03 pmSo, even though Raven told me all along that this mod was going to be horrible to us and everyone involved in the "development" /reorganization process.

I know you're high a lot but this mod was still a horrible idea.  Just saying.

Now take your 150+ free event slots and get out.

Jumza

One hundred....
and...
fifty.

Fuck, I'm never going back after this.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

kyozo22

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- That's fucking awesome news, man. Guess what? It's Kyozo's irritating question time again folks!

What's a setup event? And does this mean that, barring the rearranging of the iso for the 1v1 Vormav fight etc, everything else could be done regarding my own personal project?  If I remember correctly, it's 'just' events, right?

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 12, 2014, 09:20:50 pm
Now take your 150+ free event slots and get out.

M'kay.

Upon release, I'm  going underground. Won't be coming back till I've seen what goodies I can try and come up with, event wise.

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Pride

Quote from: kyozo22 on February 13, 2014, 01:53:05 am
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- That's fucking awesome news, man. Guess what? It's Kyozo's irritating question time again folks!

What's a setup event? And does this mean that, barring the rearranging of the iso for the 1v1 Vormav fight etc, everything else could be done regarding my own personal project?  If I remember correctly, it's 'just' events, right?

M'kay.

Upon release, I'm  going underground. Won't be coming back till I've seen what goodies I can try and come up with, event wise.

Vanilla is set up where there is a "set up" event that loads the event conditions and other stuff then the actual event that contains all of the script for the event. They combined the set up event and the actual event into one.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

kyozo22

Ah right! Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Angel

February 13, 2014, 07:59:36 am #54 Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:11:44 am by Toshiko
Regarding the intro movie... alright, yeah. I'll do that tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do, but it'll be done.

Edit: I'm a moron. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I'm not working on shit tomorrow. Next day off is Tuesday, so expect it then.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

LastingDawn

Hmm? 150+ New events? Where did this space come from? Is it replacing anything or is it just naturally there? Regardless it is great to hear that you managed to solve the New Game+ conundrum! I wonder why it is programmed in such a strange manner?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

3lric

Thank you LD. The space actually comes from the setup events which it turns out are actually not needed.
So we rearranged all the events and data (worldmap, attack, and test) to add all this space to the end for player
use :)

As for the derpy movie coding. Your guess is as good as mine lol

LastingDawn

Really? Set-ups are not needed at all? I thought they decided things like if Ramza is mandatory, which ENTD's to load, music, time of day... that sort of thing? Are you telling me that those aren't actually Used or Referenced at all?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Jumza

They are, but they found a way to include those inside the actual events themselves, thus eliminating the need for seperate events at all! yay!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Nope those are all in the other attack.out slots as well. The setup was just the loading screen. But the game doesn't actually load anything from the setup so we are able to just make each event BE its own setup event
Via the attack.out / worldmap spreadsheets which control the gameflow.

The only thing that was stored in the setup was the event script number. Which still works fine by putting it into
the event slot instead of the setup. So all is working fine :)