• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:59:50 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

EsperBlades Job Thread (SpellBlade Skillset Update!)

Started by LastingDawn, November 24, 2008, 01:06:55 am

The Damned

December 01, 2008, 09:07:07 pm #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Very well then.

I'm hesitant to suggestion things, but this time not because I might use them in my own patch. I'm just not sure which Summons we still use since I know that Traveler has Rich/Lich and that Titan, Cyclops and Salamander are now Esperblade only.

Can we still use Carbunkle or we only suggestings changes to the above summons?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

December 01, 2008, 09:08:40 pm #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I think he took carbunkly fellow out

LastingDawn

December 01, 2008, 09:13:56 pm #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Here is the proposed skillset (also updated on the first post)

Summoners to Esperblades -

Summons are very... well very dull, in the normal game they are the uncontested best skillset with Short Charge. Now I'd like to change that, their formula has been altered, to coincide with their names, they, along with the Geomancers use well... the Geomancy formula.

The Esperblade's purpose is to be a mage-fighter, the Red Mage will still have a lot of use though. Since... he'll be a bit more versatile, the Esperblade's strength is his relatively decent HP, but his weakness is his lack of versatility, to even use his skillset, he'll have to use his swords power, which is very low.

The Summons of the EsperBlades

Moogle- Confuddle - 1 AOE, (MA+30%) Add: Charm OR Confuse OR Sleep

Shiva - Winter Wither - 2 AoE, (MA + 35%) Remove all Positive Status (Dispel)

Ramuh - Scepter's Bolt - 2 AoE, no height Tolerance, Medium Lightning Damage, 25% Don't Move

Ifrit - Summer Spasm- 1 AOE (MA+45%) Adds: Berserk

Silf- Autumn Aerial - 3 AOE, (Weak Wind Damage)

Fairy - Spring Salvation - 2 AOE (MA+75%) Add: Regen

Midgar Zolom -Serpent's Spite -  2 AOE (Weak Damage) 100% Add: Poison

Zodiac - Astral Assault - 1 Panel - (Heavy Damage)

THE 5 SPELL BLADES
WP: TRASH.

Earthsplitter - Earth - 50% Summon Titan on Hit

Glacial Edge  - Ice - 50% Summon Cyclops on Hit

Magma Brand - Fire - 50% Summon Salamander on Hit

Umbra - Dark - 50% Cast Misery Mask on Hit

Magi-Sword - ??? - ???
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

December 01, 2008, 09:16:37 pm #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
yay

this job is really coming together now

The Damned

December 01, 2008, 09:25:30 pm #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "LastingDawn"The Esperblade's purpose is to be a mage-fighter, the Red Mage will still have a lot of use though. Since... he'll be a bit more versatile, the Esperblade's strength is his relatively decent HP, but his weakness is his lack of versatility, to even use his skillset, he'll have to use his swords power, which is very low.

Okay.

So if that's the focus of Esperblade, then I can't think of anything else to suggest that would "work" with the focus of the limitation.

That said, just to clarify, all these Summons are Instant, correct? Do you plan them to eventually take MP to use?

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

December 01, 2008, 09:28:42 pm #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
MP to use, Instant (Weapon Strikes)

boomkick

December 01, 2008, 09:32:53 pm #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Quote from: "LastingDawn"...

The Summons of the EsperBlades

Moogle- Confuddle - 1 AOE, (MA+30%) Add: Charm OR Confuse OR Sleep

Shiva - Winter Wither - 2 AoE, (MA + 35%) Remove all Positive Status (Dispel)

Ramuh - Scepter's Bolt - 2 AoE, no height Tolerance, Medium Lightning Damage, 25% Don't Move

Ifrit - Summer Spasm- 1 AOE (MA+45%) Adds: Berserk

Silf- Autumn Aerial - 3 AOE, (Weak Wind Damage)

Fairy - Spring Salvation - 2 AOE (MA+75%) Add: Regen

Midgar Zolom -Serpent's Spite -  2 AOE (Weak Damage) 100% Add: Poison

Zodiac - Astral Assault - 1 Panel - (Heavy Damage)

If it is not too late, some renaming could be in place.

Winter's Wither sounds awkward for some reason. Maybe change wither into something else, maybe curse or something. Turn it into Winter's Curse.

Scepter's Bolt...eh... sounds off again (sorry for the criticism). Raging Thunder is my opinion. It's just that i don't understand... why scepter?

Summer Spasm... that last word again. I know your trying to do the seasons, but spasm seems more of confusion than berserk. Maybe fury or something that coincides with Berserk would work better in my opinion.

Autumn Aerial. Again with that last word. I can't come up with any other word other than Fan, but Aerial... yeah...

Spring's Blessing. Salvation sounds pretty powerful and likely to revive or resurrect someone.

Serpent's Spite is perfect (OMG LOL)

Astral Assault. It would be fine, but assault sounds more AOE then a single target spell.

My opinions on this subject.

LastingDawn

December 01, 2008, 09:56:32 pm #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah, you see the naming for the seasons is supposed to be in the style of old limericks, which is the style of Balmafula's magics, it adds a more archaic feel (which is part of the style of the EsperBlade) They represent a dying practice. Therefore their skill names and the seeming convoluted way of using Summons come to mind, they are a very specific class, their purpose, feels almost as if it's right out of an old spell book, that was the focus for them. The spell names are representations of such. At least as far as the seasons are concerned. Which are the only four which Require limericks, the other's can be whatever is decided upon, but the Reason Ramuh's is called Scepter's Bolt is because... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UR37z33f4

The bolt is coming directly from the Scepter which Ramuh is holding. But perhaps Bolt doesn't sound... powerful enough, a suggestion for that would be fine.

But if you can think up Limericks which describe the four summons actual effects, I'll keep them in mind.

Art of War

Archael

December 01, 2008, 09:59:51 pm #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
psh

some of those were hard to come up with

IMHOHOHOHOOHNOHOMO

The Damned

December 01, 2008, 10:08:47 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort7"MP to use, Instant (Weapon Strikes)

Ah thanks.

Hunh.

Until boomkick's post, since I have like 7 other windows open and am concurrently doing 3 other things, I didn't notice the alliteration trend.

Since I like both alliteration and being a contrary asshole (sometimes), I will also suggest names:

• Confuddle --> Chaotic Charm. (It's hard to think of something that fits with "c" letters on top of not trying not to use Charm since people will probably think of Charming rather than Charm as in an [Moogle-Shaped] Item.)
  • Winter Wither --> Winter Winnow. (Even without the apostrophe that boomkick accidentally added, Winter Wither sounds kind of odd, especially since you kind of expect magical barriers to "break" rather than "decay".)
  • Scepter's Bolt --> Jugdment Jolt. (Lol.)
  • Summer Spasm --> Summer Savagery. (I have to also agree with boomkick on Spasm sounding awkward and more like Confusion [or some type of pain]. People tend to get more pissy the hotter it is, so this was an easy decision name-wise.)
  • Autumn Aerial --> Fall Foehn. (I was sort of leaning towards "funnel" until I decided to look up foehn in the dictionary to make sure it was a real word and not just from Star Ocean 2. It is.)
  • Spring's Salvation --> Spring's Salve. (Easy. And again, I agree with boomkick: Salvation makes it sound more powerful than it actually is.)
  • Astral Assault --> Astral Annihilation. (Again, boomkick is correct in that assault seems more widespread. Annihilation seems more of precise strike [or least really big damage]. I'm not sure if Annihilation will fit, though, so Abrogation might be a fine substitute. [I'm not sure what the letter limit is.])

I also concur that Serpent's Spite is perfect already.

Archael

December 01, 2008, 10:19:15 pm #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Spring Salve, Summer Savagery, and Winter Winnow are upgrades

the rest not so much IMO

Archael

December 01, 2008, 10:21:21 pm #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Annihilation is alot more brutal than Assault

The Damned

December 01, 2008, 10:22:59 pm #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort7"Annihilation is alot more brutal than Assault

Doesn't Zodiac/Zodiark still do the most damage of all summons? It might not OHKO people twice over anymore, but it's still the strongest, no?

I'm fine with Assault, I just agree that word has connotations for a more widespread attack, especially if the attack is non-physical in nature.

(As for the others, I was just trying to get away from the letter S being in half of the skill names. S is a whored letter as it is in English letter; don't stroke its massive ego.

[...Damn.])

Archael

December 01, 2008, 10:25:18 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
it's the strongest in a not very strong (damage wise) skillset, yes

the name is for the effect.. it's rather exaggerated and big.. maybe annihilation does fit

wait

ABROGATION

use that

LastingDawn

December 01, 2008, 10:38:29 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "The Damned"
Quote from: "Voldemort7"MP to use, Instant (Weapon Strikes)

Ah thanks.

Hunh.

Until boomkick's post, since I have like 7 other windows open and am concurrently doing 3 other things, I didn't notice the alliteration trend.

Since I like both alliteration and being a contrary asshole (sometimes), I will also suggest names:

• Confuddle --> Chaotic Charm. (It's hard to think of something that fits with "c" letters on top of not trying not to use Charm since people will probably think of Charming rather than Charm as in an [Moogle-Shaped] Item.)
  • Winter Wither --> Winter Winnow. (Even without the apostrophe that boomkick accidentally added, Winter Wither sounds kind of odd, especially since you kind of expect magical barriers to "break" rather than "decay".)
  • Scepter's Bolt --> Jugdment Jolt. (Lol.)
  • Summer Spasm --> Summer Savagery. (I have to also agree with boomkick on Spasm sounding awkward and more like Confusion [or some type of pain]. People tend to get more pissy the hotter it is, so this was an easy decision name-wise.)
  • Autumn Aerial --> Fall Foehn. (I was sort of leaning towards "funnel" until I decided to look up foehn in the dictionary to make sure it was a real word and not just from Star Ocean 2. It is.)
  • Spring's Salvation --> Spring's Salve. (Easy. And again, I agree with boomkick: Salvation makes it sound more powerful than it actually is.)
  • Astral Assault --> Astral Annihilation. (Again, boomkick is correct in that assault seems more widespread. Annihilation seems more of precise strike [or least really big damage]. I'm not sure if Annihilation will fit, though, so Abrogation might be a fine substitute. [I'm not sure what the letter limit is.])

I also concur that Serpent's Spite is perfect already.

Very nice! Perfect limericks, They sound very archaic (especially Foehn) and the other's are nice fixes Summer Savagery makes sense, and Winter Winnow sounds fantastic! Though I don't care much for Chaotic Charm, it's a bit of a... confusing name, considering it's effect, though Confuddle means to expressly confuse, in terms it is a broad enough term to also include other... maybe a better name might be called for.

Astral Abrogation sounds great for Zodiac, great idea.

Art of War

The Damned

December 01, 2008, 10:41:19 pm #75 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:41:39 pm by The Damned
Thanks.

Confuddle is also fine with me; I was just trying to get all of them to have the same alliteration trend, but I'm not really a fan of the letter C and the only fitting things I could think of noun-wise were Charm and Cuteness, both of which sound really awkward.

boomkick

December 01, 2008, 10:41:29 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
well i think that is for the best then, not sure if i can up with good vocabulary for the limericks or seasons.

Archael

February 08, 2009, 04:29:54 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
their skillset is like

perfect

MiKeMiTchi

August 08, 2009, 09:42:37 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Looks great so far.
Just fix the views showing the back of the EsperBlade.
The lower part of the cape looks unblended with the upper part. :)

GJ! Progress makes Mercenaries!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Archael

August 09, 2009, 12:09:40 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
why was this class skills re-balanced to be more powerful but with a charge time?

IMO their skills should drop down in power greatly and become instant

also, 100% of their skills should use the sword strike animation

I think some of them are (in the ppf you sent me) working like normal spell anims