• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 06:53:01 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[CONCLUDED] Having a monster sprite use "Attack"; animation error occurs.

Started by Zareb, November 10, 2012, 05:50:01 pm

Zareb

Hello,

Recently, I was curious to see if a monster sprite in-game could successfully use Attack without having its animations bug-up.  So, I went into Shishi, selected 5F Male Squire, and overwrote the Male Squire spritesheet with the Behemoth spritesheet.  I changed the SHP and SEQ to MON and decided to test the change in-game.

I started a new game and proceeded to control Rad, who was now looking like a Behemoth, during the Orbonne Monastery battle.  I first used Attack on Ramza, and the result was the Behemoth Rad simply jumping in place rather lifelessly... and that's it.  Ramza took the damage dealt, but it wasn't displayed, nor did it look like Behemoth Rad attacked Ramza at all.

I decided to then attack Agrias, and I accessed her from her left, 1H lower than her current position.  The result was a normal attack sequence; nothing was bugged at all. 

At this time, I thought that it simply has to do with the elevation somehow, so I decided to move Agrias and attack her from a higher elevation.  The result was the same as the time when I attacked Ramza.

I proceeded to test the elevation with a couple of different units, and nothing new occurred.

So, two questions:
1) Why does this animation error occur; and
2) Would it be possible to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
- Zareb
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

Choto

I know if you give a monster a normal skillset instead of a monster-skill skillset, they automatically gain a normal attack. I never saw that attack bug, so that may be a workaround... otherwise i'm not sure.

Zareb

Choto,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I ended-up doing what you said; I gave a monster Behemoth Basic Skill, but his Attack option was greyed-out.  I don't know what else to do, and I have a feeling that this goal of mine may be impossible to pursue.

Thanks,
-Zareb

RavenOfRazgriz

Could you post the images as actual images? A lot of people probably don't want to be downloading random stuff and there's no rule against posting your screenshots.  :U

As for your animation error, it's because you took a sprite with an SP2 file and placed it in a Sprite slot incapable of handling SP2 files correctly, most likely.  Do the exact same test, but instead of what you did, go into the ENTD and set Rad's spriteset to the existing monster Behemoth slot.  Takes a bit of fenaggling to find but it's doable.  Alternative, replace an easily accessible sprite that DOES have an SP2 file such as Byblos/Apanda for your test.  They should be able to use it fine though, as Attack's animation is merely a 070000 call with no added special effects.  Giving a monster this kind of skill through other means has no ill effects.

As for getting them to use Attack... I got it to work before.  I believe I set their primary skillset to "05" using Xifanie's Generic Skillset Fix then fiddled with their Primary/Secondary setup somehow.  This method also allows them to access their Monster Skill without need of having Monster Skill around so they can have 4 skill options instead of 3.

Zareb

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on November 11, 2012, 07:55:44 am
Could you post the images as actual images? A lot of people probably don't want to be downloading random stuff and there's no rule against posting your screenshots.  :U

As for your animation error, it's because you took a sprite with an SP2 file and placed it in a Sprite slot incapable of handling SP2 files correctly, most likely.  Do the exact same test, but instead of what you did, go into the ENTD and set Rad's spriteset to the existing monster Behemoth slot.  Takes a bit of fenaggling to find but it's doable.  Alternative, replace an easily accessible sprite that DOES have an SP2 file such as Byblos/Apanda for your test.  They should be able to use it fine though, as Attack's animation is merely a 070000 call with no added special effects.  Giving a monster this kind of skill through other means has no ill effects.

As for getting them to use Attack... I got it to work before.  I believe I set their primary skillset to "05" using Xifanie's Generic Skillset Fix then fiddled with their Primary/Secondary setup somehow.  This method also allows them to access their Monster Skill without need of having Monster Skill around so they can have 4 skill options instead of 3.

Thanks, Raven, for you aided in bringing all of this to a close.  I won't be able to pursue what I exactly want to do, but I'll figure something out.

- Zareb