• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:49 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

But to no avail..

Started by Amkorian, May 29, 2020, 05:52:56 am

Amkorian

I've read and tried all there is to try (at least in my knowledge) on the threads I've went and searched thru to get to make FFTacText work on editing PSX Job Names, Job Descriptions, JobRequirements, SkillSetDescriptions, and SkillSetNames, AND getting all the texts from the WoTL's very good old english (I loaded the patched ISO and saved as .fftext file to get the old english into a .fftext file), but to no avail.

Below are some stuff I've tried:
Used a clean ISO.
Used FFTactext version 0.457 and 0.492.
Either import ISO first or Open .fftext first.
Saved the .fftext file then patched the ISO.
Have also tried saving the .fftext file, closing FFTacText and re-opening it, then patching the ISO.

Either of the three errors occur:
DTE for WLDHELP.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified
DTE for WORLD.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified
DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified (most evident)

Attached is the .fftext file that I'm attempting to patch my clean ISO.
almost.ffttext

P.S. The first thing in mind is a question of whether I can only edit these stuff (Job Names, Job Descriptions, JobRequirements, SkillSetDescriptions, and SkillSetNames) and not carry over the WoTL english from the PSP version.
Because the only thing I haven't tried yet (totally contradicting my first statement that I DID try everything) is to only edit those stuff and not carry over the "WoTL's English" into an .fftext file, which would make me really sad if such is really not doable...
P.P.S Spent already over a day to try and retry stuff and fail, which led to ask all these from the experts. I hope this site and its humble people are still alive to even answer this inquiry.  :mrgreen:
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Amkorian

Ansehelm

Quote from: Amkorian on May 29, 2020, 05:52:56 amEither of the three errors occur:
DTE for WLDHELP.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified
DTE for WORLD.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified
DTE for OPEN.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified (most evident)

In my experience, the most likely cause of this error is that you have too much text in the areas associated with those files.  You can even do a little detective work and find out which portions of the text are causing problems Some areas already don't have much to work with (like unit or ability names).  In my patch that I'm currently making, I added a lot of text in several areas, and I had to do a lot of trial-and-error testing to see which areas were causing the problem, and more testing to see how much text I could get away with. In some cases, it came down to being just 4 or 5 characters over the limit that made the whole text patching process not work, so that's something to keep in mind.  My guess is that this is what's going on with you as well, since the Lion War generally has more/longer text than FFT.

Also, while Tactext can indeed be used to patch PSX, I would recommend making all of your changes in Xifanie's FFtactext editor, which is easier to use and better overall, and then patching with tactext .457

Amkorian

Where can I find Xifanie's tactext editor? Or perhaps you can share a link? Thank you very much for the detailed response ! 😁

Ansehelm

Sure thing, it's right here:
https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11204.0

And again, I'd recommend doing one category at a time (e.g. Items, Item descriptions, Ability names/Descriptions), then patching to see if it works, so you can isolate the problem(s).  Also be sure to use the "Scan for Invalid Characters" function before you export your .fftexts

And out of curiosity, did you make several additions to the Unit Names section? That's the only area that would cause an error with OPEN.LZW, assuming too much text is in fact the issue.

Amkorian

I changed only one name from every "unit name" dropdown there is . Iirc it was only unit #123 for each unit name tab, which amounted to a width of 20 with identical names.. I was following a word-document guide on how to "make a new job" using Simon's Bishop and Tietra's Magicks as the changeable skillset. That's how I came across these errors.. I'll try to proceed with your above instructions once the OPEN. LZW is resolved 😅