• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Custom skillset keeps getting capped at four moves,

Started by Hana, June 02, 2008, 07:10:28 am

Hana

June 03, 2008, 06:56:57 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
That's very good to know, thank you...As for the custom skillset, I can't remember. >_< I was doing the changes at around 3:00 - 5:00 in the morning, and forgot to create a change/test log. I'm pretty sure I did have the custom skillset under number 11 "Elemental" though, replacing all the regular moves with the custom ones. I'll try it again though, because I set it to "Default" but forgot to test it being "Elementals" in the Action Menus. Hurray exhaustive testing. T_T;

Edit: As expected, the custom skillset with an unmodded Action Menu ("Elements") Resulted in "No moves learned for this topography" as was expected. Placing it under Default yields the usual result of one panel range, no effect, 0% chance to hit. And since placing it under any other skillset and giving it to Geomancer results in failure, I'm almost at a loss. I'm going to give the skillset to Oracle now under Yin-Yang Magic, and see if that works, and if so I'll just have to change some names and swap their sprites. Not so hard. Right? *laughs, sighing at the same time.*

Edit 2: Well then. >_< That seems to have worked. At least, it's not automatically giving me four moves I haven't learned yet. I'll continue testing...Live and learn, I s'pose.

Edit again: Yup, that worked. ...I feel stoopid now. *smacks her own forehead, laughing a bit.* Well, Geomancer works. Oracle is broken now. So, I'm going to turn Calculator into Oracle, basically eliminating one class from the overall job tree. Oh well. I've always hated Calcs. (Though I'd prefer turning it into a Red Mage...but *shrug*)
I'll leave thinking up witty signatures to the prose.

Vanya

June 03, 2008, 11:52:10 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Glad it finally, sorta, worked out. =)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 04, 2008, 12:05:04 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Thanks. *rubs her head, smiling, sighing* Ah...ouch...My poor brain. Now I'm trying to figure out all the sprite stuff. Editing, changing things up, etcetera. Need to swap Geomancer and Oracle sprites. Probably going to download that Red Mage sprite for my Calc and mingle Red Magic with Oracle stuff. (Will lose a bit of Yin Yang in the process, but...Oh well.) Wish me luck, I suppose. *giggles*

Vanya

June 04, 2008, 11:38:44 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Good Luck!

And you may end up having to make modifications to Oracle and Geomancer to make them fit in one another's .SPR files.

More Luck to you!

You're gonna need it.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 04, 2008, 07:50:29 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
No major modifications were required to make Onmyo_M and _W fit into Fusui_M and _W, just a little truncation and a little "pad with zeros". I'm going to switch things back though, buff Geomancers a little in a different way, because I can't figure out how to successfully replace Formation Screen sprites. I took a look at Lydyn's guide, but it didn't work. Not the way it's written, at least. I decided to try swapping Onmyo and Fusui instead of replacing just Bard as he said (which didn't work) and that...Kinda worked. Except the colors were all messed up. >_< I'm really inept when it comes to sprites.

Edit: Oh, and thank you! *curtsies* ^_^

Vanya

June 04, 2008, 09:06:53 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The padding with zeros is ok, but be careful with the truncation, cause it *could* cause problems.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Hana

June 04, 2008, 09:38:56 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Well, like I said, I just switched things back. Over all, this has been very much a learning experience, but it wasn't worth it to lose Oracle, as spiffy as the new moves were for Geomancers. I'll post some information about my patch, eventually. Probably. Or something.

Thank you for the warning. ^_^

BeoulveBlack

June 08, 2008, 11:47:34 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BeoulveBlack
though i'm new here, i've been doing my fair share of hacking for a while. as for the OP's question, the reason you've been getting capped at four moves is because every time you alter a skill set that is not a base job's, perhaps due to pre-programmed skill set size or something, the altered skill set become linked to your base job.

NOTE: by 'moves' and 'skills' i am talking about action abilities; S/R/M work fine regardless of anything

since you're using a generic, the base job has four skills and thus when you learn its first skill, you'll be able to know the altered skill set's first move. if you only learn the third move (in this case, dash), then you'll only know the third skill in the altered skill set.

since there are only four moves in the generic's base job's skill set, then the only way you be able to learn all of the altered skill set's moves is to:

A. master the base job (not sure, but i really think this'll do it)
B. add more skills to the base job and learn them all (sure-fire method)

hope that helped

Hana

June 08, 2008, 06:26:24 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hana
Thank you very much! *curtsies* I had already figured out the whole capped at four moves thing, and ways around it, but I didn't realize it was because it was defaulting to the base job. That's very useful information! *nods nods, giggling* So once again, thank you.