• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:57 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Balancing Jobs

Started by Zozma, February 12, 2009, 07:37:29 pm

Zozma

February 12, 2009, 07:37:29 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
Okay, everyone must all know by now how some jobs like i dunno.. MONK are quite a bit more useful than other jobs. Id like to try and nerf some things while improving others for the generic jobs. Only thing is im pretty satisfied with every job's skillsets as they are. If anyone has any ideas that'd be sweet.

One idea i had was to make "barehanded" or item 0 the "materia blade" item and make monk skills require it, but that wouldn't really nerf monks it would only make it so you couldnt use the skills while equipped with a weapon.

Im at a loss for what to do really, or perhaps nothing really needs to be done?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Archael

February 12, 2009, 08:37:07 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
remove martial arts from the game, adjust all punchart formulas

problem solved

your welcome

Zozma

February 12, 2009, 08:42:28 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i suppose that might be the option, allthough that might not be exactly what im looking for. perhaps making it so monks don't innately have martial arts...

Samuraiblackbelt

February 13, 2009, 06:35:26 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
does that mean your not going to let samurai have auto "equip knife",and lancers have auto "equip spear",and...you get the idea
taking monks martial arts is like not letting them equip thier special item without a special ability
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Zozma

February 13, 2009, 06:49:22 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i don't think getting rid of their martial art is the answer either. i also wouldn't want to make their skills completely suck so thats why im still unsure what should be done.

Celdia

February 13, 2009, 07:14:26 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
I don't think minor changes would send the skills into the 'completely suck' range. On the ranged skills, maybe bring it down a panel or two. Maybe do unto those skills what 1.3 did to Accumulate by adding a charge time. Make it relatively low (never more than 3; if that's not possible then disregard my noobishness) to represent a 'focusing of ki' or some mystic/martial arts BS like that. Or trade off on functionality: Add an MP cost but increase that godawful Vertical 0 effect range.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Archael

February 13, 2009, 07:36:13 pm #6 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:47:06 pm by Archael
Martial Arts is the thing making their attack (and skillset) skyrocket in power the more levels they gain

Quotetaking monks martial arts is like not letting them equip thier special item without a special ability

wtf, no it's not... especially because Zozma can raise the power of Punch Art to compensate, and even raise their PAM

the problem here IS Martial Arts, because it makes all PA they recieve (gear, stats) scale quadratically

as long as Martial Arts is around, I will be able to make broken damage curve with ANY job on ANY patch

trust me on this

Quotedoes that mean your not going to let samurai have auto "equip knife",and lancers have auto "equip spear",and...you get the idea

I am sorry but this statement makes you look like a huge FFT n00b

Martial Arts is on a completely different level than Equip Knife and Equip Spear

like, I am surprised you even think this is an argument of ANY KIND

Martial Arts boosts melee attacks way beyond the level that equipping a Spear or a Katana on any character does

and not only that, but it also boosts the power of many PA Based Skills

I didn't even propose removing Equip Knife or Equip Spear, no one has said that these are "too powerful"

but martial arts is

bad logic is bad

Zozma

February 13, 2009, 07:37:10 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
a pretty short ct might not be bad actually. if they want something instant they have their own fist. now on the otherhand i could make them cost a relatively low MP even tho monks dont have much mp or could be set not to have much. yes they do have chackra but then they just have to use a turn to charge more mp.

both of those are more along the lines of what i was thinking of. afterall they can one shot several jobs just with their punch.
---

if i can make them relatively normal without martial art them thats still consideration

Samuraiblackbelt

February 14, 2009, 01:54:23 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
Voldemort.
what I'm saying is that a monk punching with just bare hands is like a samurai or lancer with bare hands,I'm not talking about what else martial arts effects,only basic attack
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Zozma

February 20, 2009, 07:33:18 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
okay i think the best option, without making any drastic changes, would be to remove the innate "martial arts" from monks and make it only a support skill.

perhaps costing about 500 jp, but a 100% chance for ai to learn it if they have enough jp

Dome

February 22, 2009, 06:42:43 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Zozma"okay i think the best option, without making any drastic changes, would be to remove the innate "martial arts" from monks and make it only a support skill.

perhaps costing about 500 jp, but a 100% chance for ai to learn it if they have enough jp
But without martial arts the punch skill sucks...i think the CT-MP idea is better xD
Or maybe just fix the formula of the attacks xD

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Zozma

February 22, 2009, 07:04:20 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
the attack formula could be altered to even out their skills

but monks will gain so much bonus as soon as they learn martial art

Dome

February 22, 2009, 08:03:44 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Zozma"the attack formula could be altered to even out their skills

but monks will gain so much bonus as soon as they learn martial art
Monks are and will be always IMBA, that's why i love them xD
Black knight with martial arts and punch skill on WOTL=god xD
(26 PA with mime grown xD)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"