• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

A matter of bravery

Started by Tersius, July 28, 2008, 05:16:58 pm

Tersius

July 28, 2008, 05:16:58 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tersius
I've noticed the discussions on bravery and on removing bravery modifying skills as a counter measure to bravery abuse.  I was wondering if another method would work:  Is there a way to change the max bravery limit?  

The magic numbers for bravery are 100 and 4.  The first is the in-battle cap and the latter is a  ratio of the amount of bravery change you keep at the end of a battle (you get to keep 1/4 of the bravery you gain or you lose 1/4 of the bravery you lose).  I imagine changing the max allowed bravery could have all sorts of undesirable effects when NPCs randomly or not-so-randomly spawn with bravery levels above the "new" max.  

So what about changing the fraction number?  It seems like 4 should be hardcoded somewhere in the depths of the game, and by changing it to something very large, the new maximum bravery could be controlled.  The new max would simply become 100 - n + 1, where n is the new bravery ratio number (default of 4).  A number on the order of 26 would yield a max bravery of 75.  

The only potential downside I see to this is it would also probably also affect faith manipulation.  Thus this would also have the side effect of preventing the low bravery / high faith desertion threats.

Would something like this be very easy to accomplish?

Vanya

July 28, 2008, 06:18:49 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Or instead of removing those abilities we could set the ratio from 4 to 0. That way the amount of Bravery would always stay the same after a battle. The same could be done for faith.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

July 28, 2008, 07:03:11 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
yeah, well I should get start asm hacking huh...

My debugging emulators doesn't work though, I'll try redownloading them.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Tersius

July 28, 2008, 07:44:33 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tersius
Quote from: "Vanya"Or instead of removing those abilities we could set the ratio from 4 to 0. That way the amount of Bravery would always stay the same after a battle. The same could be done for faith.

I didn't think of that.  The only tricky thing is it might be dividing the change in bravery by that number to get the net change.  Thus if we set it to 0 would be causing a divide by 0 error.

Zodiac

Do you know of some good places to learn ASM really well?  I had a class on machine language once, but that was just teaching me the syntax (I've got an undergraduate degree in Computer Science).  If I could find somewhere that teaches (or atleast gives hints to) a working knowledge of ASM I could be of assistance to you.

Vanya

July 28, 2008, 08:07:28 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Tersius"I didn't think of that.  The only tricky thing is it might be dividing the change in bravery by that number to get the net change.  Thus if we set it to 0 would be causing a divide by 0 error.

Actually, I tried it with that formula that does damage to the caster too. It has  a division in it that I set to zero and it caused no error. When it displayed the damage to the caster it even displayed 0. We'd have to try it to be sure, though.
¯\(°_0)/¯

VincentCraven

July 28, 2008, 08:12:13 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I hope there is just a command in the game that says "X/0 = 0"
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Vanya

July 28, 2008, 08:13:06 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That would explain why I didn't get an error.
¯\(°_0)/¯