• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:51 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Solved] Are there guides for using the various spreadsheet tools?

Started by bee, May 08, 2022, 06:29:29 pm

bee

The community seems to use a lot of spreadsheets for editing things; I'm curious what the reason behind this is. I've tried searching the forums, and found good documentation on the standalone program tools, but the spreadsheets seem to each operate under their own logic and formatting, and I'm a little baffled.

• Am I correct in guessing they mostly just output xml?
  • If so, is the generated xml generally intended to be copied into files, and placed in the folders alongside the FFTorgASM install, like the bundled ones?
  • Is there anything preventing me from just hand-editing the xml directly? I know I might be crazy, and I'm sure there's unique and vital logic buried in macros, but I am so much more comfortable with code/syntax editing in a text editor than navigating Excel files, so I wanted to at least ask.

Thanks again, 🐝
  • Modding version: PSX
🐝

Xifanie

Yes
Yes
No. Well, it depends on the hack. A lot of my complex hacks require the spreadsheet to build the data table. I try to provide the format if it's possible to edit the XML directly for those who wish to do so, but that's only a few of my spreadsheets.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

bee

Thank you so much for the confirmation / clarifications! This helps my sanity, and reduces my fear around navigating those tools a lot 😅

(question resolved)
🐝