• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:43:07 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

I need help with spriting! ASAP

Started by XUltimaX, April 26, 2010, 09:51:00 am

XUltimaX

I've got everything working so far thanks to your help, but when i try to import the bmp it says it's not 16bit. how do i fix this?

formerdeathcorps

Use GraphicsGale to make it 8/16 bit.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

XUltimaX

i got graphicsgale now what? (I never have used graphicsgale or any other picture editing program before >_<")

Mega_Tyrant

Although I recommend you do all your editing in graphicsgale I've never used it either.  I use paint but I don't recommend you use MS Paint, you will experience very bad colorloss when saving as 16 color even though the sprites only use 16 colors.

Just so you know the sprite in the UNIT.BIN is just the front-right facing sprite, so you'll need to remove all the other stuff if you're working from a exported spritesheet.  The sprites in the UNIT.BIN are 24x40 pixels including the black background.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

1.how do i remove the other stuff and make them as 16 colors?
2. or could you post the necessary .bmp files here? that would help a lot.
if you can post I'd need these 10:
(i know 10 seems like a huge project but i honestly would love to see this whole thing work)
Alucard (Symphony of the Night)
Tidus (Final Fantasy X)
Tifa (Final Fantasy 7)
Reno (Final Fantasy 7)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)
Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy 7)
Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy 7)
Zack Fair (Final Fantasy 7)
Aeris (Final Fantasy 7)
Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
(all found in the custom sprites download section)

SilvasRuin

The ones in the download section *should* be ready for importing into the game as they are.  I'm not sure what's causing your problem.

Mega_Tyrant

The problem isn't importing it's croping and converting the right-front facing sprite into 16 color bitmap, so that they can be imported into the UNIT.BIN with FFEVGRP.

@XUltimaX

I'll see what I can do. I might take awhile since I've got homework and 5 papers to write.  I'll do what I can and post them as I finish them.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

Alright thank you. I understand on the homework part. that reminds me i have to return to writing theory stuff myself >.<". well I'll be patient and wait.

XUltimaX

i have one question for you.
If I have replaced the sprites with Shishi and placed the .bmp files with FFTEVGRP in the UNIT.BIN, will it completely replace the character sprites (so it shows in game graphic cutscenes, the Party Roster menu and in the unit selection screen that appears before a battle)?

Mega_Tyrant

Yes, if I'm not mistaken it will, except for the cutscenes, I belive that's controlled by a different file.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

well i used shishi a bit earlier and replaced Agrias with Tifa and she showed up as Tifa so i suppose it works. even if it won't it doesn't truly matter sence the story won't make much sense at all with the replacements, and i'm pretty sure the story dialog can be changed but that's beyond my interest. (btw what do you think of my avatar? i made it look like myself :D)

XUltimaX

btw if in example when Orlandeu's sprites are replaced with Sephiroth's sprites can i change class for "Sephiroth" in game while maintaining Sephiroth's sprites or do i have to keep him as a sword saint to keep him looking like Sephiroth?

Mega_Tyrant

You can change classes.  So long as the base sprite is "Orlandeau", he'll look like Sephiroth regardless of what class he is.

Also I'll probably have one or two sprites uploaded later on today.  Finally have some free time, was at a family gathering for my grandma today.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

what do you mean by "base sprite"? enlighten me

Mega_Tyrant

Base sprite is simply the sprite you have that character set to, this also controls the base job that they have access to (for generics it would be squire, for the special characters it their special class).  Generic characters utilize the Generic Male or Generic Female base (this allows the sprites to change to look like the different generic jobs when they change Jobs).  The special characters utilize their own special base sprite so they don't change regardless of what class they are in.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

so... correct me if i'm mistaken, but i can change Orlandeu's sprite or is it what i'm not supposed to do? i know if i change the generic squire or monk in example i'll have all squires or monks looking like Sephiroth, and i don't want that

Mega_Tyrant

Yes, changing Orlandeau's sprite is what you want to do if you want to avoid having generics look like sephiroth.

Also here's 4 UNIT.BIN sprites I got done for you.
RAWR!

XUltimaX

thanks! keep it up :D do i just right click and save? and will they have their customised portraits?

XUltimaX

also is there a way to fix the OPEN.LZW error in tactexteditor? (just try and bear with me xD)

Mega_Tyrant

Yes, you should be able to right-click and save.

Portraits?  No, the portrait for the formation screen is in the WLDFACE.BIN.  Those are for just the formation screen sprite which is in the UNIT.BIN.  I dunno about the tactext error.  I generally only use the quickedit to avoid errors.
RAWR!