• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:48:34 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

My attempts

Started by SilvasRuin, March 04, 2009, 08:56:06 pm

SilvasRuin

March 04, 2009, 08:56:06 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
http://genoclysm.googlepages.com/Attempt1.bmp
Work in progress, but you can see what I have so far.  The center is to show I used Knight as a base.  It's supposed to be Ike.

http://genoclysm.googlepages.com/Sandworm.bmp
I think it's obvious what this one is.  I couldn't really think of any good base, so I just used Velius as a size reference of sorts.  The shading sucks and making it was a pain in the butt as it was, so I might not do more with this one.

I can't seem to get the image tags to work... oh well.

Smash

March 04, 2009, 11:51:21 pm #1 Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:54:51 pm by Smash
Image tags? As long as you don't use post attachments, it's fine by me. :P

Now for the sprites.. The Ike one looks good, but it needs less saturation on that blue, as well as a brighter shade.
Also take these in mind:
-The suit needs to look straightened around the belt, not entirely flat.
-Arms should have visible skin, as well as some blue from the shirt.
-Ike lacks white pants, make his boots shorter for this.
-That brown shoulder guard thing is missing too.
-Use colors from other FFT sprites, it'll look better that way.

Now about the sandworm, it doesn't look FFT at all. The way it's oriented would fit other styles tho.

dwib

March 04, 2009, 11:52:46 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
The depth is going to be really hard to get right on the Sandworm, and definitely needs some work if you are going to continue to work on it.
I am a fan of the clothing on Ike. Did you custom that or take if from another sprite?

SilvasRuin

March 05, 2009, 12:14:59 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
That shoulder pad was rather tricky to do when I tried to make it on the front view.  I couldn't get it to look right.  I guess I could try again.  Oh wait, I just noticed I overlooked the metal part of that.  That... could be a problem.  I think I'm dead-on 16 colors as it is.  Adding the shoulder stuff will be hard at best.  I'll try and shorten the gloves and boots to get in the pants and arms.  His shirt is pretty flat against him in his reference picture, and it also had plenty of deep blue.

I did everything for him as custom changes to the Knight sprite.  The clothing was fairly easy for the front view, but diagonal was frustrating me as far as how to position the yellow line.
As for the sandworm, I probably won't continue it.  It annoyed the heck out of me to get even that far, and the angle the sprite is being viewed from isn't that great.  And as you said, the depth is a pain.

Smash

March 05, 2009, 12:33:33 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Go kill some colors. There's like 2 shades of blue who look almost exactly alike, and for the yellow line on the shirt, use the skin color instead. Using black as the darkest shade of red also kills another one.

Can I touch up a diagonal pose for a bit? An example would help much more than words.

SilvasRuin

March 05, 2009, 12:36:35 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Go ahead.  If it can help me, then all the better if you do.

Smash

March 05, 2009, 01:58:55 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Hm.

For my pallete, I used archer blue, dragoon cape red, and some others on my Sain sprite I had around. The most important thing here was to economize color usage, which allowed me to make alot more details, as you can see. I used PoR Ike and the Brawl one as ref.

Go ahead and take what you like from him, no need to give credit. :P
My pallete only takes 14 colors, if im not mistaken.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

March 05, 2009, 02:27:13 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Mmmm... Smash, that's tasty.

jimmyjw88

March 05, 2009, 02:47:15 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Smash, how do you change a sprites palletes?
Like example, monk is originally red pants and blue headband. So how to change to green pants and red headband?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

SilvasRuin

March 05, 2009, 03:42:33 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Wow, you completely blew me away.  I suspect you used the same reference I did.  Most of the changes seem rather simple as well.  Now that I've seen what it can be, I can't go back to what I was doing.  I would either drop it, mimic you, or steal the whole dang thing and just finish the rest of it.  The only thing I don't like is the shoulder plate as that is supposed to be metal over leather, but you've made it a simple color change probably doable with what's already there.  I think I'll take it, edit the shoulder plat colors, attempt to finish it, and then give you partial credit anyways.  I'm relieved that upon closer inspection the changes are smaller than they first appear, but I would be compelled to give you credit for cleaning it up and fixing the colors.

Smash

March 07, 2009, 11:15:55 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Sure, go ahead.

The reason it looks so different's because of the colors, as you said. The rest were small changes.

SilvasRuin

March 08, 2009, 05:43:45 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
http://genoclysm.googlepages.com/Attemp ... ations.bmp

What you're looking at here:
Top Row:
First one is my original attempt without any assistance.  I was impressed at first, but now I think it's crap.  Second is Smash's fixup of it.  I started fiddling with the shoulder plate's color in the third.  I get satisfied with it for the fifth, and the last two are me putting in the back of the bandanna and changing its color using two greens from one of the Bard palettes.
Bottom Row:
Again, the first is my original.  The second one is my adaptation of the original to match Smash's tweaks.  I think it turned out nicely for the most part, with just a few spots that seem just a little bit off.  In the third, I tried to make his arms look better, and I fixed the shoulder plate and bandanna colors.
Things I still think could use fixing:
The belt is iffy, but mostly due to wondering what to do about the trim of his tunic since changing one will likely lead to a change in the other.  The trim is obviously thicker in the diagonal and I'm not sure where and how it should be fixed.
I think I honestly prefer the bottom row's boots just a little better, but one view will have to change there to match the other.  Perhaps meet in the middle between them.
The sides of the front facing's hair seems a bit flat.  I might add something there.

Any other advise or pointers?  I'm rather worried about the arms in particular.  Out of the last two bottom frames, which one has the arms done better?  How can I improve them?

CidIII

March 09, 2009, 12:02:48 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
I don't know, hmm, I like the first frame because the shoulders are wider and I think it fits the large cape better than the second one. But, it seems like the arms are a little thin on the first frame, I like the silver shoulder pauldron better though.

On second glance, the shoulders on the first one are a little rigid and awkward looking.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

SilvasRuin

March 09, 2009, 12:09:59 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I can put the silver pauldron on the first arms.  I'm just not sure how to make the arms themselves  look good.  I thought the second was better, but neither is completely satisfying.  I'm not sure which to go with and what to do to improve it.

CidIII

March 09, 2009, 12:14:40 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Yeah, the second arms are better.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Oblivion

April 06, 2009, 04:06:24 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"http://genoclysm.googlepages.com/Attempt1.bmp
Work in progress, but you can see what I have so far.  The center is to show I used Knight as a base.  It's supposed to be Ike.

http://genoclysm.googlepages.com/Sandworm.bmp
I think it's obvious what this one is.  I couldn't really think of any good base, so I just used Velius as a size reference of sorts.  The shading sucks and making it was a pain in the butt as it was, so I might not do more with this one.

I can't seem to get the image tags to work... oh well.

your ike sprite is lookin good keep up the good work
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

SilvasRuin

April 06, 2009, 08:02:22 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Um, don't you realize that there's been an update since then?  I've been busy lately on top of procrastination doing the side view, so I've not made much more progress since my last update.  The side view bandanna intimidates me somewhat.

Oblivion

April 07, 2009, 01:02:02 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Um, don't you realize that there's been an update since then?  I've been busy lately on top of procrastination doing the side view, so I've not made much more progress since my last update.  The side view bandanna intimidates me somewhat.

yeah. i know. but it's still good. better than anything i've ever attempted to do.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Cheetah

April 07, 2009, 01:35:04 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
This is a cool sprite project and I definitely support you in your progress.
Current Projects:

SilvasRuin

April 07, 2009, 12:28:14 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Thanks.  That's really encouraging.  I'll try to have some progress by the end of this weekend.  If I don't get time during the weekdays, I'll have time then.