• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:21:17 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Making new Weapon Strike based skills

Started by Nyzer, October 30, 2011, 11:22:18 pm

Nyzer

I've been trying to make some weapon strike skills work... mostly simple stuff for a revamped Archer, things that will allow the archer to fire a poison shot, a sleep shot, a mana restoration shot (mostly because I found that one amusing), and a death shot.

Anyway, I managed to get them all functioning wonderfully, but when I use the skills with a melee weapon, they won't show the damage done or effects inflicted. The spells use the FFFF animation, formula 2D for the damage ones; ether formula for the mana shot, and they're basically copies of the Rend skills.

I know the effects of the Rend skills appear even when you do them with a melee weapon, so I'm wondering if there's anything I could possibly be missing as I work on this.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RandMuadDib

Most likely its the animations tab that's your problem. Try copying the hex from something like break weapon, or given the mystical qualities of the shots, beowulf's sword attacks.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Nyzer

Quote from: RandMuadDib on October 31, 2011, 01:33:36 am
Most likely its the animations tab that's your problem. Try copying the hex from something like break weapon, or given the mystical qualities of the shots, beowulf's sword attacks.

I did copy the Break stuff. Still decides to be volatile on me. :/

So far, any actual animation makes it work without issue, it's when I just want to use FFFF for a regular weapon strike (GRR SLOWDOWN) it decides not to report damage on melee weapons. Bows all work fine with FFFF. >_<

I'm just going to put a few monster animations on it though... see how that looks. Venom Fang probably works well for the poison shot.

RandMuadDib

i would like to mention, just to avoid confusion, that "animation" refers to what the character does (and is selected in the animations tab), while "effect" is the term used for what the spell/ability looks like (i.e. cure vs fire vs bahamut etc).

I dont know why the effect or the range of the weapon should make a difference, though. Its odd that it works with regular effects and not FFFF.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Nyzer

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried modifying skills at first and got an ability to match my weapon range, so my archer stood still, held her arms up, and had the focus sphere glowing above her head.

But I don't know what that's about either. I haven't tried deleting any Rend skills; haven't wanted to. My weapon attack attempt was a copy of a Rend, with the formula, status, MP cost, and JP changed. Another try was the same thing, except I didn't make any changes to the MP cost...

In the end, I just ended up using some of the quicker, simpler monster animations.