• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:08 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Phlash's Projects

Started by Phlashblazer, July 23, 2011, 05:48:04 am

Lijj

Well keep it up.. It looks like you're on the right path.
  • Modding version: PSX

Phlashblazer

Quote from: Lijj on July 26, 2011, 08:21:40 pm
Well keep it up.. It looks like you're on the right path.
hehe thanks lijj! Do you have any tips for this hair...? I know your a pro at portraits and stuff so hook me up xD
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

GeneralStrife

July 26, 2011, 09:58:13 pm #22 Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:58:38 pm by GeneralStrife
Think about the lightsource. The tippy top would be illuminated more(brighter). Take a look at other portraits to get an idea of this.

Cheetah

The texturing is the hardest part of the hair; the lighting is important but not as tough. For an idea on how to do scars look at my Voldemort portrait, the sprite is in the custom sprite downloads section.
Current Projects:

Lijj

Hair is my weakness actually. I'd recommend,  as others have to me, opening as many original portraits up as you can fit without getting too crazy and just mimic the style as much as you can. I have trouble going out of reasonable FFt style still with those.
  • Modding version: PSX

Phlashblazer

Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 26, 2011, 09:58:13 pm
Think about the lightsource. The tippy top would be illuminated more(brighter). Take a look at other portraits to get an idea of this.
ah, Ill keep that stuff in mind generalstrife.
Quote from: Cheetah on July 26, 2011, 10:17:34 pm
The texturing is the hardest part of the hair; the lighting is important but not as tough. For an idea on how to do scars look at my Voldemort portrait, the sprite is in the custom sprite downloads section.
Right, I saw the portrait and have got an idea of what I need to do, like give it a look of depth.
Quote from: Lijj on July 26, 2011, 11:36:48 pm
Hair is my weakness actually. I'd recommend,  as others have to me, opening as many original portraits up as you can fit without getting too crazy and just mimic the style as much as you can. I have trouble going out of reasonable FFt style still with those.
Ah lol.  Yeah I'm trying to keep it unique but hopefully get it within standards and *maybe* create a full spritesheet one day.
EDIT: Hey everyone, this is what I've got from tonight,  sheesh, who knew pixeling would take so much of my time, all fun though!
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

Kagebunji

Could you post a normal sized portrait? My advice is to post a normal sized one and a 2 or 3 times bigger next to it. It won't take as much space. I would like to see normal size so I could fix up the eyebrow, scar and face line a little. I take it you are not finished with hair yet, so I will wait till later, just make sure to have LOTS of references opened up, that way you will be closer to mimicking FFT style.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Phlashblazer

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 27, 2011, 08:19:55 am
Could you post a normal sized portrait? My advice is to post a normal sized one and a 2 or 3 times bigger next to it. It won't take as much space. I would like to see normal size so I could fix up the eyebrow, scar and face line a little. I take it you are not finished with hair yet, so I will wait till later, just make sure to have LOTS of references opened up, that way you will be closer to mimicking FFT style.
Ah, okay here ya go

Kagebunji

Small fixes on the face. I doubt you have finished fur, did you? If yes, then you will have to make it deeper, blend in with the clothes. Gaffgarion's fur should work very good. I would c/p his fur, flip horizontal and try to do something from there.

Wolfran

July 27, 2011, 11:50:14 am #29 Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:24:37 pm by Wolfran
The scar seems too large, Kage. I think it needs more space like the one in ET's avatar.
The fur is a little bright but it looks great so far. Btw you have the sprite done or it's just a portrait???
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Kagebunji

Yeah, the scar. I remember a sprite from Naruto section that had a really good scar on his face. Maybe if I fnd it I will post it so you can see.

Kagebunji

I see you started using the portrait as your avatar already. But it is far from being done, soldier. What strikes me the most is flat hair and fur. Here is a fur example(not quite good, but you ged the idea I hope)of how it should partially look. Your fur is very flat, not similiar to either this one or Gaffgarion's(you must heavily follow Gaffgarion, it is a good reference).

Another thing is the scar, it still looks weird. Scar is kinda hard to fit in for me, but here is a scar that Jimmy made long ago, and it looks damn perfect, follow this as a reference too.

Last thing is the hair, it is WAY too flat. Did you use some reference for it? Some character etc. If yes, please post, so we can see. You currently have no shading at all on the hair. To shade hair properly you need to have some Reference character, and once you get basic shapes down, you open many FFT ports that are at least a little similiar to your reference and start drawing. It will likely result in a better shading and will look close to FFT style.

Don't give up now. Once you polish this portrait, it will be pretty damn good.

Wolfran

Kage, you get those from the darkness part of the Naruto's forum ??
With these reference Phlashblazer could finish the portrait without problems.Btw the portrais has 16 colours,right??
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Phlashblazer

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 29, 2011, 11:27:30 am
I see you started using the portrait as your avatar already. But it is far from being done, soldier. What strikes me the most is flat hair and fur. Here is a fur example(not quite good, but you ged the idea I hope)of how it should partially look. Your fur is very flat, not similiar to either this one or Gaffgarion's(you must heavily follow Gaffgarion, it is a good reference).

Another thing is the scar, it still looks weird. Scar is kinda hard to fit in for me, but here is a scar that Jimmy made long ago, and it looks damn perfect, follow this as a reference too.

Last thing is the hair, it is WAY too flat. Did you use some reference for it? Some character etc. If yes, please post, so we can see. You currently have no shading at all on the hair. To shade hair properly you need to have some Reference character, and once you get basic shapes down, you open many FFT ports that are at least a little similiar to your reference and start drawing. It will likely result in a better shading and will look close to FFT style.

Don't give up now. Once you polish this portrait, it will be pretty damn good.
Hey Kage, I haven't been on in awhile.  I realize that but I did it, just to do it :P.  I haven't given up, I just wanted to see how it looked as a portrait.  The hair is still a WIP, and I've been busy this week, good thing it'sthe weekend.  Kage, I really don't see what's wrong with the angle of the face, and I can easily adjust the hair to fit the angle.  I am going to keep pushing on the original, and thank you for the suggestions and references btw. :)
Quote from: Wolfran on July 27, 2011, 11:50:14 am
The scar seems too large, Kage. I think it needs more space like the one in ET's avatar.
The fur is a little bright but it looks great so far. Btw you have the sprite done or it's just a portrait???
Hi Wolfran, this is currently my only project I am working on.  I am trying to keep the 16 color limit true to the standards of the game and maintain a unique piece.

GeneralStrife

Yeah the feathers need some work, steal from gaf or squall, or that port kage posted, right now it looks like someone is spraying milk at him

Kagebunji

Indeed, Wolf, I got those from Naruto section. It is no longer banned, so why not I guess.

Take your time with this, Phlash, sometimes it takes lot of time to do something, I am the best example hehe(Lenneth took me 6 months to complete). I don't know what you talk about with the angle of portrait, I never mentioned that anything is wrong with the angle, heh. All you should fix ASAP is the hair and fur. I also saw it is way over 16 colors. I would advise changing shirt color to the same one hair uses, you will save some. Another option is to fuse as many skin and hair color as possible, but later about the palette.

Phlashblazer

Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 29, 2011, 06:21:03 pm
Yeah the feathers need some work, steal from gaf or squall, or that port kage posted, right now it looks like someone is spraying milk at him
Lol definitely gonna use those resources you guys gave me and improve the fur, right now I'm still working on the hairstyling.
Quote from: Kagebunji on July 29, 2011, 06:33:47 pm
Indeed, Wolf, I got those from Naruto section. It is no longer banned, so why not I guess.

Take your time with this, Phlash, sometimes it takes lot of time to do something, I am the best example hehe(Lenneth took me 6 months to complete). I don't know what you talk about with the angle of portrait, I never mentioned that anything is wrong with the angle, heh. All you should fix ASAP is the hair and fur. I also saw it is way over 16 colors. I would advise changing shirt color to the same one hair uses, you will save some. Another option is to fuse as many skin and hair color as possible, but later about the palette.
Hey Kage xD yes I know that, I just want to finish this perfectly asap not only just to finish it, but to get critiqued and get better as fast as possible.  I like to give myself deadlines because I'm usually on a deadline and having pressure makes me feel sharper.  How did you check the color palette number, I tried earlier what someone suggested I do in photoshop which was Image>mode>colour palette, however the actual option to check it is greyed out.  I realized that I may have been over the limit, but I'll see what I can do.  I know it doesn't take 300 colors to make a great portrait xD.  I've gotta go, I've got an appt for the massage, I just wanted to keep ya guys posted.

lirmont

Quote from: Phlashblazer on July 29, 2011, 07:48:20 pmthe actual option to check it is greyed out

Image mode needs to be a format with indexed color.

Phlashblazer

Quote from: lirmont on July 29, 2011, 10:11:30 pm
Image mode needs to be a format with indexed color.
xD Nice, I had to change it to 8 bit then I was able to format it to indexed colors... now to figure out what colors to keep -_-;; this is gonna be fun. 

GeneralStrife

Remember colors on the portrait are different than on the sprite itself. Look at the colors of lirmont's collar. Those actually look close to the same as the hair. The trick is to find a nice healthy combination of colors that complement each other well.
Also, gutsy going with an open mouth, the teeth actually don't look that bad. But I'm not the first and foremost in portraiting. I'd wait for Lijj or twin or kage.