• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:07:52 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Phlash's Projects

Started by Phlashblazer, July 23, 2011, 05:48:04 am

Phlashblazer

July 30, 2011, 01:44:44 am #40 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:45:31 am by Phlashblazer
Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 30, 2011, 12:57:39 am
Remember colors on the portrait are different than on the sprite itself. Look at the colors of lirmont's collar. Those actually look close to the same as the hair. The trick is to find a nice healthy combination of colors that complement each other well.
Also, gutsy going with an open mouth, the teeth actually don't look that bad. But I'm not the first and foremost in portraiting. I'd wait for Lijj or twin or kage.
Yep, workin on that.  So you're sayin I could use whatever colors I want on a portrait, but not the actual sprites?  *scratches head*  Heheh yeah, gutsys my middle name :).  Um if I can't use more than 16 colors I'll try to figure out how I'm gonna edit my actual colors... I hope i don't have to do them manually. :(  
Here's what I've got so far:
Going for a flared look, something that gives off a energetic tone.  Ya know, young, dumb, and dangerous.
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

GeneralStrife

And how many colors are you down to?

emptycanyon

portrait's looking good so far, the thing that strikes me the most odd is the fur: i can't really tell if it's supposed to be a shoulder piece thing like gafgarrion's or if it goes across the chest...
Working on a Morrissey sprite.

Phlashblazer

Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 30, 2011, 01:53:46 am
And how many colors are you down to?
14 :)
Quote from: emptycanyon on July 30, 2011, 02:06:48 am
portrait's looking good so far, the thing that strikes me the most odd is the fur: i can't really tell if it's supposed to be a shoulder piece thing like gafgarrion's or if it goes across the chest...
Thanks, right... hmm, well... I've got a drawing and its supposed to be fur lining across his shoulder armor.  I've got something in mind now that I've done most of the hair.
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

Kagebunji

The shading on hair is very chaotical, I get this feeling. Hair above the right eye is too linear as well.
And most important is that now the hair is too short, general rule is that you don't see whole head/hair on the portrait. You had the size of head proper in earlier concepts.
Open mouth is a good idea, Cid made by Twinees uses it too, maybe look at it and follow a little bit.
Fur seems better as well, but I still say using Gaffgarion's fur would be easier. Copy/paste Gaff's fur, "flip horizontal" it, and try something from there. Look at how well Gaffgarion's fur blends with the helm etc, there are no outlines at all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Celdia

Wow. I get busy for a week and come back to see a great start on a custom port. Nice work, Phlash. Keep it up. ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Phlashblazer

Did some little work before I went to bed:
Need to work on the fur a little bit more.  gn!

Kagebunji

Would you mind posting normal size? I will show you what I mean about head size.

Wolfran

I like how it looks now, specially the scar is a great improvement. But that smile doesn't work, it shows too much teeth.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

GeneralStrife

Yeah, go closed mouth, open mouth ports look weird always cause they were never used, it's hard to make them work.

Phlashblazer

Quote from: Wolfran on July 30, 2011, 04:16:18 pm
I like how it looks now, specially the scar is a great improvement. But that smile doesn't work, it shows too much teeth.
Thanks, I'm gonna have to work some more on the smile, it's definitely part of this characters demeanor and personality.  The smile reflects his yearning for battle and unwavering attitude.
Quote from: GeneralStrife on July 30, 2011, 04:29:44 pm
Yeah, go closed mouth, open mouth ports look weird always cause they were never used, it's hard to make them work.
Hm, I know how open mouth ports can be difficult to make, but I'm gonna keep the smile, it's just something this character has to have.

Durbs

If you're going to keep the smile, at least don't make it look like a flat line. Try bending it a little. Perhaps take out the bottom right-hand pixel of the teeth to start?
  • Modding version: PSX

shishi-sensou

looks like a lycan
looks amazing =)

Kagebunji

Heh, indeed, he has something of a savage look that makes him seem as a Lycan.

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!