• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Meliadoul Unveiled

Started by Fosil, April 03, 2011, 11:25:38 pm

Mando

Your right about the other's looking similar but.... think about it this way, Meliadoul joins you and they don't making her a different person than the others, which a change in armor color could display ;D I'll try and make a palette right now.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Mando

Here you go, I decided against pure silver looking armor pieces. I altered the green color slightly. The armor pieces are less golden looking but still look nice along with the green.

Kagebunji

And for the record. Please erase the damn smile. It not only looks unnatural in FFT, but it also makes Meliadoul look like she isn't Meliadoul anymore.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Mando

That meliadoul happy that she joined your group kage!

Kagebunji

Also, weird shading all over the portrait. Would you mind if I fixed it up a bit? Tomorrow of course, since I am going for today.

Durbs

Hey, did you change the format of the pictures / did you take them down? My computer can't see them (there's not even the empty box that appears when it doesn't load).
  • Modding version: PSX

Mando

Must be your pc, they are all bmp and I can see them fine

Durbs

April 07, 2011, 07:19:05 pm #27 Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:23:50 pm by Durbs
Huh... Mando, I can see your most recent bmp just fine. Wierd. Anyways, those colors seem too dark for FFT. Compared to her base sprite, this palette is shaded much more deeply. I personally like her original colors the best (brighter greens + gold armor), the primary change to it being the red hair.

Mando, can you use the base green for the cloak + a lighter silver color for the armor? I'd like to see how that works. The shading as it is is unusual, as Kagebunji says.

Mando

April 07, 2011, 08:05:16 pm #28 Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:28:22 pm by Mando
Sure. I'll upload in one second. Colors appear better on my screen because of the resolution and monitor I have... I also don't follow the stupid FFT color rule because a special, or any generic in fact, should not be limited to types of coloring. Sure its nice to follow the rule of thumb and try and match colors. However, everyone's display is different what appears crappy on your screen/emulator may appear amazingly in mine.

I went ahead and made multiple colors so people could see differences. The first one has a more silver/metal armor look. The 2nd green that appears uses the armor look I think looks nice with a small alteration in the green. The rest is obvious...

Also do not use the previous palettes .bmp uploaded... I am not sure what tojoe is using to edit them but something is messing up and when they are pulled into the palette editor wierd stuff is happening some rows have this grey/brown color instead of being black/null. This can be seen in this upload because the portrait did a wtf?

Durbs

Yes. Epic win. :mrgreen: It looks awesome.

Fosil

I agree, that does look nice, Mando :) I may even say she looks better with the brown hair.
As for editing, I use GIMP. Other than that, I think I'm following the steps correctly...

Kagebunji

I use Graphics Gale for everything, and GIMP to do gifs, that is all I think. Brown hair is definitly a great choice, her brother had brown hair too, so it would be nice. Plus green and silver combo looks great.

mav

Red-headed portrait is still too saturated.

Mando

On my above post Toejoe, those palettes are just various examples. They aren't a real full generic palette.

I somewhat take back what I mentioned about not using FFT colors. They are great colors and extremely useful for beginners to make colors match and flow effectively. Also by all means advice from Twin, Lijj, Kage, and Mav should take some precedence over mine. I have not made a full custom sprite myself yet, though if I had time I probably could make one. I only edit sprites/colors and ect....

Lijj

here's an edit of the portrait for the silver and green one:(bmp):
fixed her hair and armor...no credit needed.
It's good to follow at least the color schemes for palettes even with specials but will meliadoul need more than 1?
if you do palette it remember that set 1 is mostly blue, set 2 are mostly blue-green, set3 are mostly green and brown, set 4 are mostly reddish orange and set 5 is mostly pinkish red- purple or black (dark grey)

Twinees

Nice stuff Lijj, perhaps a softer approach would suit Meliadoul better however?
Still needs a hair highlight and what not.

Lijj

The shape you did for the hair looks way better Twinees. I went ahead and made it into a bmp with the highlight re added.

Twinees

April 11, 2011, 05:17:21 am #37 Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:19:21 am by Twinees
Heres a little update on yours lijj.

Edit: Actually, maybe some anti-analiasing can be done next to her hair strand that goes over her right shoulder so it blends with the background smoother.

Lijj

I added a tiny bit of AA to the bottom strand.. just a touch, because, anymore just looked out of FFT style's range; added a little shadow on her left shoulder area and deleted the stray pixel by her right eye and changed a shade or two elsewhere.

Kagebunji

Looks awesome. Though whatever you say, I highly advise using original eyes for her. These seem rather small, and her right eye is missing some darker, heavier pixels(at least on the last bigger port posted, I can't see on those small, updated ones, heh).